mtbr member
    Feb 2009

66 rc3 problem with seals

I've replaced the left side oil seal cause it's blown on me twice now. Last time I replaced it, it lasted for about 3 months of riding, got stored for a month or two, then had a catastrophic failure. Now, I replaced it, everything felt like it went in well, and the fork seemed to be leaking oil on the first ride. The next day I pulled it out, dried off the fork more and went to take it for another ride to see if it was just oozing a bit or whatever, but I noticed what appeared to be oil bubbling out from the dust seals. What could I have done wrong?

The oil seals were placed text side up, put in place with a socket and then lightly tapped the socket with a mallet until I got rebound. I put the retainer spring in, went in easily, and then the foam seal and dust seal. I put 335 mL of 7.5 wt oil in (which is a bugger to find, seems like everyone has 7 and 10 instead). I just don't get what could have gone wrong for it to be bubbling oil out like that after 1 ride (and there was a decent amount of oil on the stanchions after that ride).

On a different note, does anyone know where I can get a replacement detent ball and spring for the spring side, I lost mine sometime ago.

FWIW, model year 2011. 66 rc3 evo ti

**taken from my post in the suspension forum, but thought that I might get a better response here**
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sorry, I don't have a solution but my 55 rc3 is doing the same thing. First I replaced the originals with Marz seals, then I replaced those with enduro seals. Those didn't last much longer though. I love this fork other than that so I would really like a solution too.

mtbr member
    I haven't had this problem on my 55 or 66 both 2010 rc3 Ti. There's a 3yr warrenty if you're the original owner.
    Any bushing slop?
    Are you using cartridge fork oil?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey Schlock, everything sounds good that you described. Maybe you just folder the seal over when you inserted the stanchions. I just rebuilt mine, the non Ti model, and procedure was the same. When you had the stanchions out did you inspect them for damage? And not only a visual inspection but feel them with you hands.......like ....well.......you know. But seriously make sure you run you hands all over them as you can feel what you can't see a lot of the time.
    2011 SX Trail.