mtbr member

5" Travel 29'r trail bike will KICK your 26" DH ASS!!!

So there's been a lot of trash talk here with a lot of die-hard 26'rs ripping on those of us who've switched to the larger wheel sizes and lack of "wins" in DH. Well lets see you even attempt to keep up with Luke Strobel on a 5" travel 29'r trail bike proto from Evil; just crushed the Pro class at Ski Bowl (local homie Chaz was doing pretty good too on a 650b until last berm). Luke's run starts at 26:10 mark:

So much for big wheels not being good for DH...

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Professional Troll
    The only pro beat a bunch of amateurs. Is that news?

mtbr member
    Heh.
    I took a long-shocked Tallboy LTc to Trestle instead of my Jedi, with my trail lid and some light G-Form pads and Camelbak. On top of Rainmaker, a guy on a big bike called me a "road biker" and said they should go before me so they won't get held up. Gave them 15 secs, and dropped in after them. They got caught. Then, in another section, they were pulled over and me and my "road bike" sent it by them in a table 6 ft in the air. But yeah, a "road bike."
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Pro Crastinator
    news? no. but it does make for good troll bait...

mtbr member
    Not trolling tho the title is a bit brash! I was a firm 26" believer too (until last year) and am just amazed at Luke's run on what is basically a trail bike! You have to admit... that was a sick run no matter how you slice it. And Gemini... Charlie Sponsel is every bit as fast as Luke so remember the name! And how about that kid who took second in the JR class on an Enduro - again I dare say faster than most everyone on this forum I'd wager! Big wheels are proving themselves and that course is very demanding, trust me - it's no Fontana!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Pro Crastinator
    lol!! how dare you consider Fontana an actual trail....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Not trolling tho the title is a bit brash! I was a firm 26" believer too (until last year) and am just amazed at Luke's run on what is basically a trail bike! You have to admit... that was a sick run no matter how you slice it. And Gemini... Charlie Sponsel is every bit as fast as Luke so remember the name! And how about that kid who took second in the JR class on an Enduro - again I dare say faster than most everyone on this forum I'd wager! Big wheels are proving themselves and that course is very demanding, trust me - it's no Fontana!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Point 1) Sure, big wheels can be fast, but it's all about the rider.
    Remember Pro GRT last year at Mammoth? The winner raced Enduro the day before (won that) and then schooled the Pro SoCal Brah DH club on a Lefty Cannondale Jekyl with wagon wheels.
    But I bet if Marco was on a DH bike he would still have pulled the W.
    Same goes for Luke.
    Like One Nut Lance said "It's not about the bike" (it's about the drugs).

Point 2) Hmm, judging by his results elsewhere, Senor Robot is only fast on his home trails. Angel Fire (15th), WV (17th), etc not so much....
    Can you say big fish in small bowl?

If you want to follow some real West Coast talent, look at Kiran MacKinnion. Dude is killing it this year! Making NorCal proud.