g3h6o3

32 special chain rub

Hello,
    I’ve been helping a friend setup a 32Special chain guide yesterday on his 2005 Norco Six VPS. The cranks on the bike are stock Hussefelt from which we removed the small chain ring and grinded the inserts to prevent rub on the back plate. The chain ring that is left is the original 32 teeth. Now we have some rubbing when riding on the lower two gears of the 11-34 cassette (which are 34 and 31 teeth I think). The rubbing happens on the upper slider both on the inside (the plastic part resting against the back plate) and on the lower edge of the same slider. The rubbing when on the 2nd smallest gear is “tolerable” (yet definitely disappointing) but the friction caused by the rubbing on the smallest gear is simply unacceptable. Now we’ve been trying all the possible adjustments on this chain guide without being able to completely remove the rubbing.

Has anybody ever experienced this? If so, how did you fix it?
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

sympathy for society
    My E-13 STS rubs slightly on the higher gears. My Diablo does not have the ISG mounts, so I had to use the adapter. However, I was able to tweak the issue a bit by adding a BB spacer in front of the adapter.

But if you are experiencing rubbing from the rollers or roller mounts, then you might have to use a file and take a little bit off of the guide where it is rubbing. I will not hurt the performance, if you are careful.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Hello,
    I’ve been helping a friend setup a 32Special chain guide yesterday on his 2005 Norco Six VPS. The cranks on the bike are stock Hussefelt from which we removed the small chain ring and grinded the inserts to prevent rub on the back plate. The chain ring that is left is the original 32 teeth. Now we have some rubbing when riding on the lower two gears of the 11-34 cassette (which are 34 and 31 teeth I think). The rubbing happens on the upper slider both on the inside (the plastic part resting against the back plate) and on the lower edge of the same slider. The rubbing when on the 2nd smallest gear is “tolerable” (yet definitely disappointing) but the friction caused by the rubbing on the smallest gear is simply unacceptable. Now we’ve been trying all the possible adjustments on this chain guide without being able to completely remove the rubbing.

Has anybody ever experienced this? If so, how did you fix it?
    Pictures would certianly help. Of both the mount on the iscg tabs, to see what way you have it pointed, and the whole guide itself.

the 32 special may not be the best guide for the six. it does not accomidate a lot of travel imho. when he starts to move into his travel he may find his chain rubbing the top piece of the plastic guide while in his larger gears as well. STS may have been a better pick, but I could be wrong.

PICTURES!! GET SOME!

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    Pictures would certianly help. Of both the mount on the iscg tabs, to see what way you have it pointed, and the whole guide itself.

the 32 special may not be the best guide for the six. it does not accomidate a lot of travel imho. when he starts to move into his travel he may find his chain rubbing the top piece of the plastic guide while in his larger gears as well. STS may have been a better pick, but I could be wrong.

PICTURES!! GET SOME!
    No dig. cam. to take pictures, sorry. The guide is pointed as instructed in the installation instructions, with the top slider at 12 o'clock. The guide is installed as it should be so I was wondering if it had to do with the BB height therefore changing the angle the chain comes into the guide and therefore making it rub on the lower edged of the top slider. For the rub on the back plate it's really annoying but I wonder if we'll get rid of it... We're looking for a ghetto fix in fact.

Oh yeah nd the choice of the 32Special was made based on the chainring sizes compatibility written on the e.13 website. It is the only chainguide listed as having 32T compatibility... Now I don't really see a reason why a larger ring compatibility would be na issue but figured e.13 knew what they we're talking about. I also though they had good products and that they would have mentionned these kind of issues as they do for other models.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    My E-13 STS rubs slightly on the higher gears. My Diablo does not have the ISG mounts, so I had to use the adapter. However, I was able to tweak the issue a bit by adding a BB spacer in front of the adapter.

But if you are experiencing rubbing from the rollers or roller mounts, then you might have to use a file and take a little bit off of the guide where it is rubbing. I will not hurt the performance, if you are careful.
    No rub from the roller, all the rub is on the upper slider.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    No dig. cam. to take pictures, sorry. The guide is pointed as instructed in the installation instructions, with the top slider at 12 o'clock. The guide is installed as it should be so I was wondering if it had to do with the BB height therefore changing the angle the chain comes into the guide and therefore making it rub on the lower edged of the top slider. For the rub on the back plate it's really annoying but I wonder if we'll get rid of it... We're looking for a ghetto fix in fact.

Oh yeah nd the choice of the 32Special was made based on the chainring sizes compatibility written on the e.13 website. It is the only chainguide listed as having 32T compatibility... Now I don't really see a reason why a larger ring compatibility would be na issue but figured e.13 knew what they we're talking about. I also though they had good products and that they would have mentionned these kind of issues as they do for other models.
    I was thinking you didn't have mounts and are using the adaptor...sorry, I'm crazy, no pictures needed, ignore the request. The six has tabs right?

Actually, the SRS and STS are both 32 tooth compatable, and says so right on their individual description on the web site.

Further more, if you plug the information into the e.13 website properly it won't suggest the 32 special! It should be listed as:
    1: 1 chain ring,
    2: 6.1" + travel (This years six has 6.8" travel)
    3: Freeride (this shouldn't matter)
    4: Centered/HT chain stays.

You would be recommended to buy an SRS or STS.

You are mounting the wrong guide.

To solve the rub, add a spacer behing his bb cubs (what bb is he using?)

He is still going to have the travle induced rub though, no way to get away from that.

g3h6o3
    I was thinking you didn't have mounts and are using the adaptor...sorry, I'm crazy, no pictures needed, ignore the request. The six has tabs right?

Actually, the SRS and STS are both 32 tooth compatable, and says so right on their individual description on the web site.

Further more, if you plug the information into the e.13 website properly it won't suggest the 32 special! It should be listed as:
    1: 1 chain ring,
    2: 6.1" + travel (This years six has 6.8" travel)
    3: Freeride (this shouldn't matter)
    4: Centered/HT chain stays.

You would be recommended to buy an SRS or STS.

You are mounting the wrong guide.

To solve the rub, add a spacer behing his bb cubs (what bb is he using?)

He is still going to have the travle induced rub though, no way to get away from that.
    We're using the adaptor, no ISCG mounts on the Six

Adding a spacer will actually make it rub more. The rub happens on the inside (on the back plate) so pushing the guide further out will aggravate the problem. We didn't use the picker when choosing but rather based our decision on the bashring sizes which are

SRS = Available bashring Sizes: 40, 42, 44T
    STS = Available bashring Sizes: 36T only

Quite misleading... Now that's a rather annoying situation as the guide was bought over ebay...

mtbr member
    its perfectly natural,mine did the same but after a few good ride it gets quieter.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    its perfectly natural,mine did the same but after a few good ride it gets quieter.
    Where was it rubbing???

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I meant put a spacer between the bb and the adapter, not behind the adaptor...but this is still not ideal.

do you have the adapter facing in or out? if you flip it around, will it draw the plate in or out? a lot of people initially face this the wrong way.

I have a feeling you will still have issues rubbing the top as he cycles though the travel. I have a 32 tooth set of saints and I got upper run with an STS. I went with the SRS after, but I also have 8" travel.

I think Ideally you would have been best off with an STS.

Meh.
    I don't think he could've fit his cranks if the adapter had been flipped the wrong way.

You can try a ring that has a bit of a step to it, see if that helps... maybe the e13 Guide Ring.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I don't think he could've fit his cranks if the adapter had been flipped the wrong way.

You can try a ring that has a bit of a step to it, see if that helps... maybe the e13 Guide Ring.
    I don't know, that may be the issue. But if it was the wrong way i would imagine there would be a big gap, or a problem fitting the cranks on....but I know different bikes require it either facing in or out.

Do you have the flat side (v.s. the profiled side) of the adapter facing in towards the bike, or out towards the cranks? Thats the best way to ask it.

And I can guarantee you that the 32 Sp. is not a great idea for this bike. e13 does not recommend it.

If you check their site, there are instructions on how to fit a load of different bikes as well as modifications needed for some...it may help.

mtbr member
    upper guide.

mistereckz
    I have had this problem with e-13's on a couple of different set ups, both on the upper and lower plates. The surest way to deal with it, is to just file the rubbing area down. It wont hurt anything, as the plate is just there to keep the chain from falling in...so as long as you dont take off too much, no problem. Worst thing that could happen is you have to buy a new parts tree...$15?

sympathy for society
    OP- Now that you say you are using the adaptor, I understand more. As I said earlier I am using the adaptor on my STS. I had serious rub on the inside of the guide plate once I set it up per instrustions. I eliminated this problem, (the rubbing on the plate), by adding a spacer between the adaptor and the BB. This will space the crankset out from the guide plate a bit and stop the rubbing.

NOW,.... there may be side effects to this. I have very limited time on my STS since I installed it. The other day I tried just hopping onto a sidewalk at speed, and kinda landed rear tire first on the curb and my chain popped off the ring and got stuck between the ring and guide plate. I think the extra spacer made this happen. I have never dropped a chain using the Blackspire Stinger, so I am thinking that I might need to re-evaluate.

As for the upper slider rubbing, just isolate the point of rubbing and file it off little by little until the noise is gone or tolerable.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

g3h6o3
    I don't know, that may be the issue. But if it was the wrong way i would imagine there would be a big gap, or a problem fitting the cranks on....but I know different bikes require it either facing in or out.

Do you have the flat side (v.s. the profiled side) of the adapter facing in towards the bike, or out towards the cranks? Thats the best way to ask it.

And I can guarantee you that the 32 Sp. is not a great idea for this bike. e13 does not recommend it.

If you check their site, there are instructions on how to fit a load of different bikes as well as modifications needed for some...it may help.
    I think the flat side faces inwards and it seems you just put the finger right on the problem. Will check but it makes sense. I'll post back tomorrow!

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sodak06: you have too much space between the plate and chain ring.

Light rub in the largest ring is normal...reduce the gap and accept it.

Pissedoffcil: flip the adaptor and adjust with spacers to bring it out the thr right position if thats your problem. But make sure not to leave a big gap, or you'll have the same problem as the guy above.

Sodak, maybe you can look at your adaptor if you are using one, this might enable you to remove the spacer if it's flat side in now.

Whatever way you cut it, you still will not have the ideal fit with the upper part of the plastic guide/slider plate.

sympathy for society
    Sodak06: you have too much space between the plate and chain ring.

Light rub in the largest ring is normal...reduce the gap and accept it.

Pissedoffcil: flip the adaptor and adjust with spacers to bring it out the thr right position if thats your problem. But make sure not to leave a big gap, or you'll have the same problem as the guy above.

Sodak, maybe you can look at your adaptor if you are using one, this might enable you to remove the spacer if it's flat side in now.

Whatever way you cut it, you still will not have the ideal fit with the upper part of the plastic guide/slider plate.
    I figured so. As soon as the chain dropped on me, I instantly though about the added spacer. You make an interesting point about the adaptor and flipping it. It is getting nice and dry outside for once, so it is about time to tinker with the STS. However, I am only two weeks out from the Bottle Rocket being built up....... I am going with the STS on that one too, so I might be installing one and fixing the other in the same go round. Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    I figured so. As soon as the chain dropped on me, I instantly though about the added spacer. You make an interesting point about the adaptor and flipping it. It is getting nice and dry outside for once, so it is about time to tinker with the STS. However, I am only two weeks out from the Bottle Rocket being built up....... I am going with the STS on that one too, so I might be installing one and fixing the other in the same go round. Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it.
    STS will fit your BR without any hassle if you set it up right.

Rule of thumb, go flat side out. Use the longer screws and adjust with washers. There are only a few bikes I know of you would want to face flat side in (i.e. foes fly)

If you look at ISCG mounts, they are flush with the bb shell, if not behind. If you put the flat side in, the adapter mounts are much further out in front than with ISCG tab (which is what the guide is meant to me mounted too, and the adapter is supposed to emulate). Flat side out and you are much closer to where the guide is supposed to be mounted too.

This is the most common mistake made mounting these things.

You should then mount up in a manner that gives you a gap between the bash and upper most part of the guide/skid plate of 1mm. Maybe 2mm if you are trying to decrease rub, but no more that that else you risk dropping your chain between.

g3h6o3
    Ok I checked and we really had put the adapter with the flat side in. We'll flip it over and see how it works. Thanks a lot for the help!!!

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ok I checked and we really had put the adapter with the flat side in. We'll flip it over and see how it works. Thanks a lot for the help!!!
    Any time.

Let us know how it works out. With the flat side out, you should have room to work with. Just don't leave a big gap. A little rub is OK! And much better than dropping the chain, which you are mounting this to avoid!