Thread: 27.5 Wheelsets

Racer

27.5 Wheelsets

I'm looking at getting some 27.5 wheels....looks like theres not many options on the market for complete wheels right now. At least in 12x150 rear spacing. Are the I9 wheels worth the insane amount of money? I'm thinking of getting the spank dh wheelset or the i9 wheels. Anyone ride both?

Racer
    just talked to canfield and it looks like they are making a 27.5 dh wheelset! sweet....

Glad to Be Alive
    I9's over priced and my buddy's folded in a turn....not for me
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

2010 Glory custom FR
    Build a set. You will just get a pair of wheels you need
    pozdro
    frango

perpetual pucker factor
    Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    Build a set. You will just get a pair of wheels you need
    this.
    Just be cautious on which length spokes you buy, if you do get them yourself. Some of the spoke calculators are not perfect. DT's spoke calculator caused me some very large headaches (and about $80 that I didn't want to spend). It's probably best to just buy the hoops and hubs you want, then let a shop do the spoke selection and lacing/truing. But getting your own custom wheels is definitely the way to go if you want a good wheelset.

The new DT Swiss FR570s look really nice. I have a pair of the FR600s and they have been incredibly good. These are the rims that Gwinn rode down the DH course on minus the back tire. Incredibly strong. Pretty light too, for a 27.5 rim.

And I'd recommend Hope hubs if you want a light set that require very little maintenance. Hadleys, I9s, and Kings are super fancy, but I don't think things that cost that much should require that much adjustment/cleaning/etc. Hopes are excellent hubs, quite light, reliable, relatively low-priced, and they do sound nice too.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Racer
    yea, i would build them myself if I have no easy option. I really need to learn to lace up wheels...it's about time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalMTB View Post
    yea, i would build them myself if I have no easy option. I really need to learn to lace up wheels...it's about time.
    You should get the hoops, then measure the ERD yourself. Measure 6 points on the hoope...Star of David pattern to give you 3 ERDs...and then average the values.

When getting spoke calcs, use two methods to cross check...I use the DT Swiss one (add 1mm for all values generated), and the Excel spread sheet one.

I've only built w/ DT Swiss, Hadley, and King hubs and these company's hubs seem to be pretty good to keep things to 1 spoke length...w/in 1mm of drive and non-drive, and disc and non-disc sides.

And FYI, for my '15 Jedi, I'm looking at plastic hoops from either Light-Bicycle, or Nextie-Bike. And hopefully, Conti will have some 27.5 x 2.5 der Kaisers ready by Jan or Feb.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮