Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 26 or 29

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Idea! 26 or 29

Sence 29er Downhill bikes have been made would yall switch from 26 to do yalls thing?

All 26.5" all the time!
    Why would anyone in their right mind increase rotational inertia and unsprung weight?

Glad to Be Alive
    i think most will stay with a 26 inch for DH...great all around bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Trollin for 29er insults, or are you serious. If your serious, most DHers would stick to 26, although current DHers with 29er XC/AM might give it a go. Also, current 29ers XC/AM who have an interest in more travel would also be interested.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    29 inch wheels are a crutch for riders with sub-par skills

Ohhhhh, look at the rooty, rocky trail I just rode through because I have monster truck sized wheels!!

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by managedenemy
    Sence 29er Downhill bikes have been made would yall switch from 26 to do yalls thing?
    no
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    29 inch wheels are a crutch for riders with sub-par skills

Ohhhhh, look at the rooty, rocky trail I just rode through because I have monster truck sized wheels!!
    That's dumb. What's to stop me from using the same reasoning to say suspension is a crutch for the week? How about wide tires? Disc brakes? The whole point of racing DH is to do what it takes to go down a hill as fast as you can. If bigger wheels are beneficial, why shouldn't people use them?

That said, I am far from sold on 29ers, even for XC use. Would I love to take a spin on a on the 951 29er? Yes. Would I buy one? I'd need to ride one to know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    That's dumb. What's to stop me from using the same reasoning to say suspension is a crutch for the week? How about wide tires? Disc brakes? The whole point of racing DH is to do what it takes to go down a hill as fast as you can. If bigger wheels are beneficial, why shouldn't people use them?

That said, I am far from sold on 29ers, even for XC use. Would I love to take a spin on a on the 951 29er? Yes. Would I buy one? I'd need to ride one to know.
    Suspension is a crutch - along with everything else you said.

If you want to hone skills I recommend riding a minimalist hardtail rig as fast as possible. Then when you jump on the dh bike you will be choosing better lines, properly pump terrain and carry more speed.

I stand by my statement about 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member

If you want to hone skills I recommend riding a minimalist hardtail rig as fast as possible. Then when you jump on the dh bike you will be choosing better lines, properly pump terrain and carry more speed.

Wow, you are retarded. Lines for a hardtail aren't always lines for a full suspension bike. Quite the contrary a lot of times. It may be the gnarly line, IE the one too gnarly for a hardtail, that is faster.

Although riding a hardtail can be very beneficial.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iridemtb
    Lines for a hardtail aren't always lines for a full suspension bike. Quite the contrary a lot of times. It may be the gnarly line, IE the one too gnarly for a hardtail, that is faster.
    WEAK rebuttal

Riding gnarly lines on your hardtail will make you faster on your fully.

you might be slower on your hardtail compared to your DH bike but thats the point of my arguement. (as silly as you may think it is, none-the-less)

mtbr member
    simply don't have the money. and lack of tyre choice is a BIG thing for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

All 26.5" all the time!
    What's to stop me from using the same reasoning to say suspension is a crutch for the week? How about wide tires? Disc brakes?
    All those things were proven on motocross motorcycles long before the MTB adopted them. Where are the big wheels for MX bikes?

The people who design, engineer and race the fastest two wheeled off road vehicles on earth discovered long ago that the forces generated by big heavy wheels severely limit control at speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    All those things were proven on motocross motorcycles long before the MTB adopted them. Where are the big wheels for MX bikes?

The people who design, engineer and race the fastest two wheeled off road vehicles on earth discovered long ago that the forces generated by big heavy wheels severely limit control at speed.
    Did you read the second half of my post? I was in no way claiming that 29 inch wheels were an improvement over 26s. My point was simply that bagging on 29ers for potentially being advantageous is moronic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by managedenemy
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

I don't climb, I walk
    Nov 2009
    What long travel Freeride bikes 6+ inches travel or DH bikes exist in 29er form? I can't find anything more extreme than the Niner at 5.5". Thanks, Joe

All 26.5" all the time!
    Did you read the second half of my post? I was in no way claiming that 29 inch wheels were an improvement over 26s. My point was simply that bagging on 29ers for potentially being advantageous is moronic.
    I did, and I know where you're coming from. My comments were not actually directed at you, but more as food for thought for those that may be confused by the "29ers are better for everything and everyone" type of marketing that is being shamefully thrown at us from every direction.

mtbr member

I had a long drawn out answer but it's just a waste of time really, isn't it...
    Last edited by GearTech; 01-03-2010 at 12:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JTK37
    What long travel Freeride bikes 6+ inches travel or DH bikes exist in 29er form? I can't find anything more extreme than the Niner at 5.5". Thanks, Joe
    Intense 2951

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by jcook1989
    Intense 2951

Hey you found it!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Personally, I think those that spout you need a hardtail to become any sort of a skilled rider are full of themselves. I don't think you need to attend the school of hard knocks to ride , enjoy or excel @ mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcook1989
    Intense 2951
    1 thing that puts me of that bike - looooooooooooooooong CS
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008

Last time I checked, a MX track and a DH race course are almost nothing alike... also note that MX bikes have over double the amount of travel as most DH bikes and have a powerful engine to propel them... it's not really a valid comparison.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Actually, 650b could have promise.I plan to build a all mtn bike this year with 650b.I'm curious about it's potential.

maker of trail
    Nope, don't see me riding 29" any time soon...

I'm skipping a generation and waiting for the 32" wheels.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    Nope, don't see me riding 29" any time soon...

I'm skipping a generation and waiting for the 32" wheels.
    35s would roll over stuff so well you don't even need suspension on WC DHs
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast