Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Racer

2015 Canfield Jedi or 2015 Trek Session 9.9 650b

Debating on which one to go for. Looks like I'm going to have to wait a while for either. The canfield looks sexy and looks very durable. The session is insanely light, high tech, and has 650b. Carbon though..not sure about how long it will last.

I can probably build them up for about the same price. What do you think?

Uphill? What's that
    650b if you are concerned about race times. Jedi because its bad ass.

Professional Troll
    Well considering the Trek is $500 more than a brand new YZ450f, I would suggest no one buy it to protest these ridiculous prices.

Racer
    yea i would never pay full retail for it. but i would get a pretty good deal on it considering the msrp. although trek says they probably will never have any "in stock" this year since it is so popular and you have to get on a waiting list....and those that are employee purchasing them at a discount rate are at the end of the list. the jedi is badass. anyone know how much those frames weigh?

mtbr member
    Canfield all the way.

Full disclosure: I own a Canfield One. Hands down, the best bike I've ever ridden in its class. Fantastic bike in every way. This post will be a bit long, as I feel very strongly about this topic. I apologize in advance.

Yes, the Session has all sorts of fancy bits on it like 650b. Those are cool, but is it going to be a night and day difference? No. 650b is not like trading in your roller skates and getting a monster truck. The difference is there, but is very minimal. I'd doubt anyone except upper-tier racers would be able to extract real advantage of the tiny benefits of 650b over 26. Additionally, if you have larger wheels, you may need stiffer, more burly (more $) rims to counteract the increased flex. This is especially apparent in 29ers, but is also present in a lot of 650b wheels too. If I'm riding DH and not racing, I'd take durability and reliability over a 1-2% increase in rolling ease. But that's not the real selling point for me.

What WILL make a huge difference is suspension design. The Trek has a very lackluster linkage design, IMO. Same thing that's been done for nearly a decade. It performs ok, but the one I rode felt like it blew through the mid-stroke too quickly and wanted to hang out around 50% compressed no matter what shock/spring settings I had. It just felt... boring. When I hit square edges, it felt horribly harsh. Canfield's design moves both upward AND backward, absorbing those hard little hits, keeping your speed up (and lessening the impact your body feels too). That rearward path alone will make FAR more difference in speed than wheels with a slightly larger radius. I met Lance Canfield in the lift line at Whistler a few weeks ago, and we took a run together. He was on a 2014 Jedi, and I was on a Canfield One. We had similar tire setups, and I weigh a good amount more than he does. So if we started at the same time and just coasted along, I should at least be able to keep up, if not pass him, considering simple physics. We would start out at the same time, and his Jedi would instantly be going FAR faster than my bike. And it kept getting faster and faster. It was unreal how fast it coasted, and how quiet it was while descending. It just soaked up everything in its path and kept gaining speed. Never seen anything like it.

Lastly, customer service. I've read tons of complaints with bike companies not honoring warranties, taking forever to fix something that went wrong, etc. My friend has had issues with his Trek Fuel's pivot bearings from the day he got the bike, and Trek won't even return his calls/emails. Canfield has the best customer service I've ever experienced, in any type of business. There's a story somewhere on MTBR of a guy who broke his rear triangle (in a crash I believe), just before his trip to Whistler. Not Canfield's fault at all, but the guy was going to have to ride a rental bike on his trip. The Canfield guys frequent these forums, and they got word of it. It wasn't even their fault, yet they rush-shipped him a new one in a day or two, just so that he could go on his trip with his bike, and charged him a pittance for it. That's the kind of people they are. When I called a few years ago to ask a few questions about bike setup/geometry, Sean stopped mid-way down the mountain while on a group ride to answer the phone and chat with me and make sure all my questions were answered. Nobody else would do that. They are a class-act in every way. They're not some small, might-disappear-tomorrow company. The are all incredibly good riders, they've been building bikes for a long time, and their bikes are amazing. Super durable, super fast.

The TL,DR version: Owning a Session (even a carbon one) will be like having a belly button. Nothing special. Everybody's got one. Owning a Canfield is owning something unique. Something truly special. When you see others with Canfields, there's an instant understanding between you. But even more important than owning something unique, it has the performance to back it up. Holy s__ they're good bikes. Get one and you'll see what I mean.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    My experience with Canfield is very similar to Charging_Rhinos.....Never had the pleasure to coast with Lance, but have spoken with Sean and the others from Canfield many times. Multiple times while they were riding!!!! This must be the reason why the are FIVE Canfields in my home with 2 more on the way!!!!Besides they ride like no other bikes out there.
    I have worked at multiple bike shops, including a Trek shop for over a year. Owned a Trek Fuel EX8 for a matter of 2 weeks... just couldn't get the feel for it. I built a Canfield the ONE in 2011 right before leaving for Moab, never test rode it. Just shipped it out on my buddies jeep trailer and flew out. 1st ride felt right at home.... NEVER looked back and still riding it hard to this day... Granted it will soon be set aside as a single crown park bike due to the Balance soon to be in my possesion!!
    Trying to painfully relive some of youthful adventures!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ON my second Canfield Jedi, currently riding a '14. All I can say is it is amazing, I am no pro just a weekend warrior that loves to go fast over knarly stuff. The Jedi plows so well its crazy. I ran a Xfusion HLR on my '12 and it was amazing, now running a CCDB coil on the '14 and it is pretty awesome. I personally cannot give much feedback between the 2 years as I am coming off a pretty terrible wrist injury so riding alot smoother this season but the bike rips. It makes up for my short comings when riding out of my comfort zone. On top of that the support you will get from the Canfield team is awesome. I wouldn't ride anything else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    And so enters the Canfield supporters..

I, too, have been converted. I've ridden just about all of the major brands over the last 10 years and have always drooled over the Bros' designs. Finally I had the chance to get a ONE, and it was/is the best feeling bike I've ever ridden. This prompted me to get a Jedi and now I'm on my 3rd ONE ('13) and my 2nd Jedi ('14), and as long as my friends keep begging me to sell them the one I'm on, I'll keep building new ones!

The Jedi is hands down the best DH rig I've ridden. It's my secret weapon and anything else I ride now is sub-par. I do not know if they plan on making a 650b Jedi, but that's the only thing that would prompt me to get a new one at this point. You'll have to get in early with a pre-order, this year they sold out of larges in a matter of weeks. Although, I do believe they did a second run a little later. As it's been said, call or email them and you'll be persuaded to join the family, these guys set the bar very high for personalized customer service.

I know nothing of the new 9.9, other than it would surely be more than a comparable build on a Jedi.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I still ride 26 and will continue to ride 26. But I'm not going to put new money into a new 26 bike. The writing is on the wall. 27.5 is taking over. If you put 6000 dollars into a new 26 inch bike, good luck getting 2500 back within a week of purchase.

I wish it werent so, but dems the breaks.

mtbr member
    If you build the right 26er and it fits everything you desire, then you shouldn't be worried about what you would get on resale. You would ride it until it "dies"... That being said... I am staying 26" on my DH bike---unless the Bros release a 27.5" Jedi..

mtbr member

Another Jedi owner chiming in...

I think the current MY bike is a '14, not '15...?

Large 2014 Jedi w/ an Avalanche Woodie and a DVO Emerald.

WHAT A MACHINE! So Craig had really dialed in the Jedi tune! I had to open up the DVO a bit...lighter oil and different shims...but it's finally coming to life!

My home resort is Trestle...VERY fast, relatively smooth, and jumpy resort. I took the bike to Keystone today and had to retweak the settings on the front and back. Anyway, my goal was to go mellow and get reacquainted w/ the old-school chunder-tastic style at KS. I guess mellow is relative when you're on a Jedi.

If you get a Jedi, don't spare expense on brakes! You'll need good ones! It's spooky how fast that bike gets up to speed and keeps it! And, I had some issues w/ the '11 to '13 Jedi...it just sticks to the ground and plows. I had a difficult time getting it airborne w/o riding it at mach-looney speeds. But the '14, I can get that thing to pop like a champagne cork! A buddy I was riding w/ who was on a Scott Gambler said I clear jumps at a certain speed that he'd short by 5 ft when he was riding behind me.

And, when you drop the outside pedal, stomp on it, and lean the bike into a turn...friggin' WOW does that thing like to rail! Go into it a bit fork biased, then rock back as you exit...HOLY CRAP, hang on! Oh, and you'll need some water to wash the bugs out of your grill from the smile it induces!

Hope this rant is coherent as I'm on an endorphin and pizza high
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    If you build the right 26er and it fits everything you desire, then you shouldn't be worried about what you would get on resale. You would ride it until it "dies"... That being said... I am saying 26" on my DH bike---unless the Bros release a 27.5" Jedi..
    If it does come to fruition, then I can see a need to go to plastic hoops for a B'd Jedi, to keep the stiffness in the wheel and how the bike tracks. I'm running LB 23mm plastic hoops on my Tallboy LT, and it doesn't express any of the wheel flex I've been hearing about wagon wheels.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    And so enters the Canfield supporters..

I, too, have been converted. I've ridden just about all of the major brands over the last 10 years and have always drooled over the Bros' designs. Finally I had the chance to get a ONE, and it was/is the best feeling bike I've ever ridden. This prompted me to get a Jedi and now I'm on my 3rd ONE ('13) and my 2nd Jedi ('14), and as long as my friends keep begging me to sell them the one I'm on, I'll keep building new ones!

The Jedi is hands down the best DH rig I've ridden. It's my secret weapon and anything else I ride now is sub-par. I do not know if they plan on making a 650b Jedi, but that's the only thing that would prompt me to get a new one at this point. You'll have to get in early with a pre-order, this year they sold out of larges in a matter of weeks. Although, I do believe they did a second run a little later. As it's been said, call or email them and you'll be persuaded to join the family, these guys set the bar very high for personalized customer service.

I know nothing of the new 9.9, other than it would surely be more than a comparable build on a Jedi.
    Hey Rage, you heading up to Trestle on Sunday? We need to go do some laps and make it Rain!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hey Rage, you heading up to Trestle on Sunday? We need to go do some laps and make it Rain!
    Keystone tomorrow for some laps, then taking the day off on sun for cleaning/tuning/packing as I leave for Whistler on thursday for 10 days

Racer
    what size jedi's you guys got? I think i''m convicned and i want one. I'm just short of 6'3". I think they are making an XL size for 2015. Can't decide between L and XL.

mtbr member
    just shy of 6'2".. riding a large with a 45 mm stem... super comfortable

Racer
    how much room is between your bars and your knees when sitting and pedaling?

mtbr member
    Sitting and pedaling. ....about 9in

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    6' even and I run a large. I could run a medium and be fine but I love the way this rides long and low. With the right parts a large could fit you very well, though if they did make a XL, you would probably have the same kind of fit that I have on the large.

I rode keystone today and absolutely smashed it. The thing just sticks to the ground when I need it to, and FLIES like a bird when I ask. Just an absolute dream to ride!

2015 Canfield Jedi or 2015 Trek Session 9.9 650b-p4pb11276109.jpg

Professional Troll
    6'3"? XL no question. Anyone who tells you a L doesn't know how to fit a DH bike.

Quote Originally Posted by metalMTB View Post
    what size jedi's you guys got? I think i''m convicned and i want one. I'm just short of 6'3". I think they are making an XL size for 2015. Can't decide between L and XL.

mtbr member
    for the size ask sean @canfield they no theirs job!!

ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    id go canfield just because of of their reputation and customer care,,,, ive never met the brothers, but i have met vinnie, he was more than happy to chat to me and answer my questions, even let me throw a leg over his bike. very very friendly chap.
    if i hadnt got such a great deal on the knolly then i would have been shredding a canfield for sure...

Canfield Brothers
    Haha! All you guys rock! Thank you all for your support, this is what drives Canfield to push our products boundaries as far as possible.

We are excited to bring back the XL's in Jedis for 2015. After the size adjustment we made in 2014, we didn't think that we would need the XL's. Most companies XL DH bikes run the approximate reach of our Large. However, we had enough requests from tall customers that it just made sense.

Our 2015's will be hitting early this run, possibly before the first of the year. Lastly, who knows, there might even be a small change to allow for... Oops, did I say that?

Cheers!

mtbr member

Re: 2015 Canfield Jedi or 2015 Trek Session 9.9 650b

Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    ...who knows, there might even be a small change to allow for... Oops, did I say that?
    Man, about time! WOOT! Back gnawing on the finger nails in anticipation again!
    Now, just gotta see about the CTA upgrade for the Emerald...
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Haha! All you guys rock! Thank you all for your support, this is what drives Canfield to push our products boundaries as far as possible.

We are excited to bring back the XL's in Jedis for 2015. After the size adjustment we made in 2014, we didn't think that we would need the XL's. Most companies XL DH bikes run the approximate reach of our Large. However, we had enough requests from tall customers that it just made sense.

Our 2015's will be hitting early this run, possibly before the first of the year. Lastly, who knows, there might even be a small change to allow for... Oops, did I say that?

Cheers!

I was just getting comfy on this one! Oh well I've already had offers that buys a new one...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast