Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So...is it too late to get a large 2015 Jedi? I'm 5'11 though, would a medium fit better? If I can't get one...I might just get a Session Park.

I'm riding a 2014 Trek Slash (650b) now though, and it is an awesome bike. I can definitely tell the difference between 26" wheels and wouldn't hesitate buying another Trek, 26" or 650b.

But the Canfield sounds super sick for riding at Northstar where there is tons of toothy terrain that slows me down faster than a squirrel running through a tar pit.

I heard the lengthening of the wheelbase of the Jedi feels weird, especially during cornering, is this truly noticeable?

Lastly, if not Session or Jedi, then 951 or TR500 or Wilson? There really are so many options out there, please convince me more. Are there any financing options available for the Jedi? Sad to say, but the main reason I bought the Trek was because they made it so easy for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    I heard the lengthening of the wheelbase of the Jedi feels weird, especially during cornering, is this truly noticeable?
    A total non-issue, overblown by armchair engineers who'd especulate about the amount of navel lint they have while couch-jockying during Sunday football games instead of riding.

Bulk of the rearward movement is in the first 35% of the bike's travel. You toss a bike into a corner at speed, you're already beyond that point.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    A total non-issue, overblown by armchair engineers who'd especulate about the amount of navel lint they have while couch-jockying during Sunday football games instead of riding.

Bulk of the rearward movement is in the first 35% of the bike's travel. You toss a bike into a corner at speed, you're already beyond that point.

Hahaha, that's some good stuff! Looks like I might be getting a 2016 Jedi then. If speed is the name of the game--which it sounds lot it is--I'm sold.

Medium or large? Again, I'm 5'11 and prefer a large if in between.

Thanks!

Canfield Brothers
    Hahaha, that's some good stuff! Looks like I might be getting a 2016 Jedi then. If speed is the name of the game--which it sounds lot it is--I'm sold.

Medium or large? Again, I'm 5'11 and prefer a large if in between. Thanks!
    HAHA - You mean 2015. At 5'11" you can ride both sizes. It's all personal preferences.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    HAHA - You mean 2015. At 5'11" you can ride both sizes. It's all personal preferences.
    Well I'd love to get a 2015, but realistically I'll have to wait a while and save some money. Otherwise the old lady will chop my nuts off!

Ill let let you know if a miracle happens though. . I've got a $2000 watch for sale so if that goes through, I'll be all over it.

mtbr member
    Well I'd love to get a 2015, but realistically I'll have to wait a while and save some money. Otherwise the old lady will chop my nuts off!

Ill let let you know if a miracle happens though. . I've got a $2000 watch for sale so if that goes through, I'll be all over it.
    Wait til end of this bike season, and I'll send you my lrg '14 (frame) for that price, w/ a CCDB!

Baby wagon wheelz...MOAR WHEELZ!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Racer
    i keep making up my mind on large then switching to xl and vice versa. frustrating being in between sizes...

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by metalMTB View Post
    i keep making up my mind on large then switching to xl and vice versa. frustrating being in between sizes...
    If it helps any... I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam, and my large 2011 feels perfect. I'm pretty sure you want the XL.

Look at the reach length for the bike(s) you have now, and compare that to the Jedi's reach for the L and XL franes. That should give you some idea of what to expect.

Racer
    im a couple inches taller than you but the 2014 larges are bigger than the 2011s correct?

mtbr member
    im a couple inches taller than you but the 2014 larges are bigger than the 2011s correct?
    I'm 5' 11, 7/8" w/ 33" inseam, and prefer larger bikes. I rode a XL '13 w/ an 800mm bar and 55mm stem. It was juuuuuuuuust a touch too long...prob could have had it perfect if the stem was moved back to the 40mm setting.
    Right now, I'm on a large '14 w/ that same 55mm stem and 800mm bar. Perfect fit!

I made this table when I was shopping for the '14, just to get some numbers side by side for eval.

2015 Canfield Jedi or 2015 Trek Session 9.9 650b-p4pb10442500.jpg
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't know how the 2011 compares to the 2015. I'm guessing they're not too different, since they did four sizes (S M L XL) for both years, but it's just a guess.

If anyone has the numbers for the 2011 Jedi I'd love to have them as a reference. I saved the specs for my other two bikes but didn't think to do that when I bought the Jedi.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    I don't know how the 2011 compares to the 2015. I'm guessing they're not too different, since they did four sizes (S M L XL) for both years, but it's just a guess.

If anyone has the numbers for the 2011 Jedi I'd love to have them as a reference. I saved the specs for my other two bikes but didn't think to do that when I bought the Jedi.
    NWS- the gen2 2011-2013 numbers are the same. For 2014, we lengthened the sizes by 1/2". Due to several 6'5" + riders requesting XL's over the season, we decided to bring back the XL. It is going to be a BIG bike as the reach is 18.5". Here's the 2015 geo chart:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  65.7 KB

Use this with Pauly's 2013/2014 chart and you'll have every number possible.

Cheers!
    Last edited by KillingtonVT; 08-12-2014 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    The 2011 is the same geo as the '13.

And- confirmed 18.5 Reach on the XL for 2015.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Fantastic, thanks guys!

Racer
    sweet. so glad i decided not to buy a trek!

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You're 4% taller than me.
    A large 2015 has a reach that is 2.9% longer than my 2011.
    An XL 2015 has a reach that is 8.8% longer.

I'm changing my vote to Large for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So I have to chime in as well to this thread as I am the person mentioned in one of the earlier post about the broken rear triangle. Found it 4 days before leaving for our yearly whistler trip, I live in Alaska, as I was packing the bike. (This was on the older Diggle frame that is no longer produced). Thought I was SOL, posted my sob story on MTBR late sunday, and by the time I called Monday morning Sean or Vin (can't remember now as I have talked with both of them multiple times) had already seen my post and was waiting for my call. They had found the last Diggle rear triangle sitting in there warehouse and just needed my address so they could get it in the mail. Didn't charge me a dime for the triangle, I just paid for the over night shipping. Amazing customer service. Keep in mind, this was a frame they no longer produced and was already 3+ years old. I upgraded to a 13 Jedi, and WOW what an upgrade. LOVE the bike. I have no problems jumping the bike and just spent nine day in Whistler clearing jumps I've never cleared and never thought I would clear. With how much I hear others talk about the new 14s makes me really one to try one...

I also had the pleasure of being able to meet and ride with the Canfield crew last year in Whistler. They like to ride their bikes as much as they like to build them. Just good all around guys and seem to really care about their product and that people are happy with it. With the time, support, and interest a decidedly NOT VIP like myself received they pretty much have a customer for life. I am already considering "upgrading" to a new Jedi frame and my next trail bike WILL be the balance. Plus I have three young kids so there will be a KDH in my garage with in a year or two. Call me a fan-boy all you want, with the experience I've had with Canfield I will never deny it and actually embrace it!

Good luck with your choice.

PV

perpetual pucker factor
    sweet. so glad i decided not to buy a trek!
    Seriously! If you think it's a good decision now, just wait 'til you ride their bikes. Mindblowing. Welcome to the family.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    How "poppy" is the Jedi? I get the impression that Sessions and Jedis just ride like apples and oranges, making the comparisons slightly biased here in favor of a bike that's fast and stays glued to the ground (Jedi) vs one that's "poppy", and maybe a bit more maneuverable at the cost of stability (Session). I'm just trying to be as objective as possible. Is this an accurate assessment?

perpetual pucker factor
    I think the amount of pop depends mostly on your suspension settings. The Jedi (at least the one I've ridden) was super poppy compared to the V-10c that a SC rep loaned me last year. I think as long as you have a shock that is capable of a wide range of tuning, and has adjusters that actually make noticeable changes (think Cane Creek, for example), you should be able to make it pop very well. When I was following Lance Canfield down Crank It Up, the guy was boosting off of every jump like it was twice its actual size. Granted, he's a dang good rider, but his bike was absolutely exploding off of even the smaller lips.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    How "poppy" is the Jedi? I get the impression that Sessions and Jedis just ride like apples and oranges, making the comparisons slightly biased here in favor of a bike that's fast and stays glued to the ground (Jedi) vs one that's "poppy", and maybe a bit more maneuverable at the cost of stability (Session). I'm just trying to be as objective as possible. Is this an accurate assessment?
    So, the '13 I was on, I had a harder time getting it to pop, unless I was riding at mach-looney speeds. But, I think I did the tune/setup wrong on it and putt too stiff a spring on the rear shock...500# on an Elka...and never got it deep enough into the stroke where the rear axle path became more vertical...unless I hit a jump at way too fast a speed. The thinking is on rebound the spring is splitting the return energy partly w/ for/aft and partly w/ vertical movement of the axle instead of giving you all of it in vertical rebound...pop. And, the bike was a bit scary/unpredictable hitting airs at low speeds. And, hitting chunder at speed was the ONLY way to get the performance out of the rear because you're getting the shock deeper into its stroke.

But, on the '14, I went w/ the recommended spring (400#). It seems a bit light at first, but I just used the preload to dial in sag...~5 or 6 turns. But with this spring, and the appropriate HSC/LSC and rebound settings, I was able to tweak the bike's pop. 5 clicks out on the Avy Woodie's rebound and the thing would be like a rabid pogo stick. 5 clicks in, and the thing would mow over a supercross sized air.
    Stability isn't an issue w/ the '14's HTA and BB height, neither is maneuverability because of the shorty chain stays. What you will need to figure out is learn where/when to weight shift depending on what you're hitting...fwd a scooch on the steep chunder, back a scooh (after preloading your bike to pop) when taking booters, and rocking front to back exiting turns. You CANNOT ride this bike nonchalantly, you really need to ride the hell out of the bike, and then, it'll give it back to you.

BTW, Craig at Avy has REALLY dialed in the tune for the '14! It used to be he'd do the Woodie/DHS a bit overdamped...dead. But what he sent back to me for the '14 was spot-on! The only thing w/ an Avy is you HAVE to run a steel spring as a Ti has too much diameter and would hit the top of the shock tunnel when it's deep in its stroke. This is just from eyeballing...someone had footage of a CCDB reacting in the tunnel and things got pretty tight at near full compression. I'm not willing to find out by trail and error and risk damaging my sexy thang!

I hope this drivel makes sense, and not just a bad case of verbal diarrhea

Edit: disclaimer - have never been on a Session, and have no desire to
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

YYZ
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Well considering the Trek is $500 more than a brand new YZ450f, I would suggest no one buy it to protest these ridiculous prices.
    Agreed.

Racer
    well, i just committed and sent full payment today! i can't wait to see my jedi!!

mtbr member
    well, i just committed and sent full payment today! i can't wait to see my jedi!!
    You threw down on a '15 or a '14, and what size?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Racer
    a large 2015. I think they are out of everything but smalls for 2014. this wait is going to be torture!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast