mtbr member
    Sep 2015

2014 Boxxer WC question...

Hi peeps
    I picked up my first DH bike a few days ago, fitted with 2014 WCs. A day in a bike park wasnt quite as cool as id hoped, forks felt very harsh largely due to poor set up i guess.
    Im trying to go through logical steps to get it right, starting with the sag - here's where theres something wierd going on. When i sit on the bike and weight the forks they dont budge at all, its like theyre locked out. Only when i grab the front brake and push forward slightly do they compress. I tried with the lowest LSC/HSC settings but it still doesnt move.
    It doesnt seem right...has anyone had any similar experiences? Any ideas what is going on?
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Too much air pressure in the fork?

Glad to Be Alive
    Just take it to a shop and have the oil changed and everything looked at.....pressure settings an new oil should help a ton
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    when you test the sag, make sure you cycle the fork multiple times first. Did the travel indicator show full travel at the bike park? Did you set the air pressure? If all these things are checked out, then maybe low or no oil. also let a lot of air out and see if it cycles very easily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Cheers guys. Nah there wasnt an O-ring on the stanchions when i got it so i couldnt really see how much travel i was using. I used the recommended psi as per the chart on the forks, i think i had about 70psi in there, im around 73kg, I didnt check how much sag that was giving me but i think 70 is way too much.
    Theres a local service centre that charge about 130 for a full service so i'll probably do that, and ask them if i can watch them do it as i like to learn how to do this kinda stuff myself.
    A dude on another forum said the WCs were a PITA, he even said he knows people that have replaced the air spring with coils, effectively downgrading a WC to a R2C2...any views about that?
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Im far from an expert..... but I think the first thing you should be doing is adjusting the air pressure. Let a heap out and then see how it goes, and then adjust from there. Getting them serviced is a good idea too.

I read on pinkbike very recently that a company (cant remember who) has released a kit to convert rockshox air forks to coils, but really I dont thank that's something you need to be considering just yet.

Glad to Be Alive
    or get the Onyx by DVO !!
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    attach a thin zip tie to your stanchion, it will work as a travel indicator. I think it's useful to know how much travel you are using on certain sections of trails.

Also get new seals. Not sure if RS has something equivalent to the SKF seals from Fox, if they do, make sure you get them.

Also know that your local shop is probably just changing oil and replacing seals. I doubt they will touch the damper. Hopefully that's not your issue. Also changing the oil and seals is very easy and you should definitely learn how to do it yourself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Cheers for replies thus far chaps.
    I just let all the air out and that eliminated the locked out feeling when i push down but pumping it back up to around 45psi (around the 30% sag mark) and its as it was before, it feels locked out unless i grab the front brake.
    Ive been reading up a lot about settings and servicing the WCs, i found this - is this guy doing a good job?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB_l-09Fp_c
    Cheers!