mtbr member
    May 2011

2013 Fox 40 on Demo 8 Question

Anyone try the new flat crown Fox 40's on a Demo 8? Just wondering if the bottom crown still hits the bottom tube like previous years. I'm building up a 2013 Demo and still trying to decide what fork to run. I know spez provides a special bumper to prevent this, but not crazy about running like that.

thanks

mtbr member
    I don't like the special bumpers all that much that are on my 40. They decrease the turning radius greatly and I just dont trust them like I would OE or ODI bumpers. Mine even has external bearings on the bottom of the HT and it sill just isnt right. Dang specialized.

I am interested as to what is said here.

EDIT: I just see a new upper crown...

-Brett

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Demo with a 40. You will have what seems like half the turning radius compared to any other DH bike you have ridden with this combo. But, it is only a problem in very tight switch-backs, and even then you will get used to it.

I run the bumpers that Specialized provided as well as a spacer(also provided with the frame) underneath the crown race, and have no issues with the set up except for the tight turning radius.

mtbr member
    i had a 2011 demo and the fox 40 bumper thing drove me absolutely crazy. I ended up getting a cane creek lower headset cup that dropped the crown about 3/8 inch. It wasnt perfect but it worked.

Last week i just built up a 2013 s works carbon frame with the same fork. I am now running the stock headset cups and only the crown race on the steerer (removed the gold spacer) and with the stock bumpers is basically perfect. You get all the turning radius possible. Enough so that i put a piece of mastic tape to protect the cables. I can post some pics up if you want to see it?
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Pics would be great. I am building up the Black M5. Carbon was just a bit too expensive for me. This is the first full build I've done on my own, so I'm sure I'll have more questions.

mtbr member
    I have seen a couple aftermarket lower crowns available, but go for like $150. Even that, I am not entirely sure they would work.

-Brett