View Poll Results: So will it be the Fox 40 or Dorado Expert ?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fox 40

5 45.45%
  • Dorado Expert

6 54.55%
    RideDirt

New question here. 2013 Fox 40 or 2013 Manitou Dorado ?

So the Dorado is on back order but this gives me time to think about either picking up a fox 40 or sticking with the Dorado , i dont have any experience on these forks so thats why i need your guys input . East coast riding here , so its all at Mountain Creek and a few other resorts . I like to mix up the riding from smooth fast flowy trails to the steep rocky nasty trails. Weight wise i come in around 190lbs right now . I just want a fork that will ride plush and keep up with the trails .

mtbr member
    I own a Dorado Pro and have a bunch of time on both. Both are great, great forks. The 40 is noticeably stiffer, but at 170lb the Dorado is not nearly flexy enough to be annoying. The best way I can put is that switching between the two, I notice a difference when going from one to the other, but it doesn't really matter. They just feel a little different. And there are forks I've ridden that were flexy enough to bother me. 32mm Boxxer for example.

The Dorado has better small bump compliance, the 40 a little better mid stroke support. The Dorado is also a little taller, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you're riding frame wise, and trying to accomplish with the fit.

In short I don't think you can really go wrong with either, both are great forks that'll serve you well, but they do feel a bit different.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better View Post
    I own a Dorado Pro and have a bunch of time on both. Both are great, great forks. The 40 is noticeably stiffer, but at 170lb the Dorado is not nearly flexy enough to be annoying. The best way I can put is that switching between the two, I notice a difference when going from one to the other, but it doesn't really matter. They just feel a little different. And there are forks I've ridden that were flexy enough to bother me. 32mm Boxxer for example.

The Dorado has better small bump compliance, the 40 a little better mid stroke support. The Dorado is also a little taller, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you're riding frame wise, and trying to accomplish with the fit.

In short I don't think you can really go wrong with either, both are great forks that'll serve you well, but they do feel a bit different.

Thank you sir for the reply , i am riding on a 2013 Demo 8 frame which has a BoXXer RC on it and i hate it , my Marzz 66 CR that was 180mm feels WAY better that was on my Knolly . I had a BoXXer with an Avy Kit in it last year on a different bike , but i want to try something different this year . I got the Dorado Expert on backorder right now for $897 shipped all said and done but i can always back off that and get a deal on a new Fox 40 for around $1100-1200 .

I really enjoy the rocky trails , so it would be nice to have something that eats up all the rocks. The low end BoXXer i have on now i can just feel that its being overwhelmed.

mtbr member
    I had an older 40 and I liked it quite a bite. At the beginning of this year, I bought a Dorado and have loved it since. It has great small bump compliance and I do not notice any flex. I can make more runs with this fork and feel less fatigue at the end of the day. I mostly ride in the East Coast rocky and technical terrain.

-Brett