Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

2013 Demo 8ii vs. 2013 V10 vs. 2013 Jedi

My dilemma:

So it has been my goal to get to some level of comfort to really get into the gravity side of things. I'm planning on getting a new bike this year (I currently ride a 2011 Stumpy Expert Evo on the AM trails) and was looking at the aforementioned models in the title.

Most of my riding is done in Arizona, where everything is really chunky/ledgy, and we don't have a ton of groomed DH parks in the area. We do have a ton of technical terrain features, however, and I figure that would impact what I get, along with the heavy braking that comes into play with most of the trails. Also, being a noob with the DH/FR stuff, I know I'm going to eat it a bit, so I want something I won't destroy immediately.

With that said, I do plan on taking some trips (I am going to the Summer Gravity Camp in Whistler this next summer), and I have been working jumps a bit, so I want something versatile.

Any input?

biking is fun
    If you want a good bike for the really chunky stuff then I would suggest the Jedi. I have owned 2 of them and they are great bikes for carrying speed through rough stuff and not feeling as beat up after. Also the suspension handles braking really good.

Only concern with the v10 would be that you are new to DH/FR and will be wrecking a lot. I know they say carbon is stronger and such but I would be a little hesitant if you plan on crashing a bunch.

The Demo is one bike I really want to try. I would think it is a little more nimble and lively then the Jedi but I haven't ridden one yet so can't compare the two. It is definitely one the few bikes on my list.

Another option since you have that much money to drop is the Turner DHR. That's what I am on now. It is a good balance between plow and pop IMO. It brakes/pedals really well. I do get a little more beat up on the really rough stuff but i like it a bit more on the really technical stuff and also on the jump lines.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Although those 3 are all downhill specific bikes, I don't think you could have picked 3 that are more different. Never had any interest in a v10, demo is nice but I'd rather not support the the big guys, I'd go with the Jedi out of those 3. Always heard good things about the ride, and I know the canfields are awesome guys to deal with. I 2nd the DHR though, I'm on a 2011 dw-link dhr and absolutely love it. Don't have enough good things to say about it. Had some minor issues and had to deal with Turner directly for warranty replacement and it went super smooth and easy. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another Turner in the future.

Climbingbubba - what rear shock are you running

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    If you want a good bike for the really chunky stuff then I would suggest the Jedi. I have owned 2 of them and they are great bikes for carrying speed through rough stuff and not feeling as beat up after. Also the suspension handles braking really good.
    I couldn't agree more, PLUS, we can come up and ride with you at Whistler!!!

Vin

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post

Climbingbubba - what rear shock are you running
    I am running the fox RC4. I have always liked that shock for my style of riding. I have heard other shocks feel a bit better but when matched with my 2012 fox 40 I think the bike feels extremely balanced. Couldn't be happier with the setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Jedi, no question. The customer support is the best in the business.

Uphill? What's that
    Jedi for the rough stuff no doubt. The suspension design really helps if you case a jump also..its definitely has kept me from going over the bars numerous times..the frame is also built to last. I have been riding a 2010 model for the past 2 years and the frame feels as solid as the day I got it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    +1 Jedi

I was also torn between the V10 and Jedi. But after a summer of riding a "The One", asking around, and talking to Sean at Canfield a bunch, I was sold.

My shiny new Jedi will arrive sometime in January!! (pending massive global catastrophe)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Go with the Jedi...coming from someone who went from a Gen 1 Jedi to a V10C.
    The Jedi will be better for the type of terrain you describe. The V10C is no slouch, it's just has different strengths.

******ed or Branded??
    +1 for the Jedi
    had 08' an 11' and now on the 12'
    Condisering selling my 12' for the 13' to get that custom paint job they are offering.
    I also live in Phx, and ride all the super chunky tech stuff here on somo up to flag and on Bootleg during trips. The Jedi just shines!!!!!
    If you ride a Medium then maybe we can strike a deal.
    Pm if interested.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi View Post
    +1 for the Jedi
    Condisering selling my 12' for the 13' to get that custom paint job they are offering.
    Unfortunately the custom paint job offer is over as the frames are in production already.

Canfield Brothers
    Paint is done and Chris is assembling them now. They will be heading our direction next week. Get them while we have them, they always go fast.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    Get them while we have them, they always go fast.
    +2 pnts

anagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I couldn't agree more, PLUS, we can come up and ride with you at Whistler!!!

mtbr member
    i would caution against the jedi from personal experience, i had a much older v10 as my first real race frame so that would be my choice but you definitely dont want your sweet carbon frame bouncing down the hill as you get the hang of this dh thing.

i would also say no on the demo - they are cheap and certainly numerous and spare parts wont be an issue but i have never ridden one that felt remotely good - people either set them up to corner super well and they did that but were the absolute most wallowy and sluggish bikes ive ever ridden, or they pedaled super well and had zero traction and cornering grip. Granted they werent always set up for me but even the ones that were pretty close had one of those two setups - nothing in the middle

my issues with the jedi had to do with the rearward wheel path, i borrowed my buddies jedi for a week last year and really thrashed it around trying to figure it out. The best part is the straight line speed and the way it seems to speed up when you case something. I found myself purposefully casing every jump i could find just to laugh at the way it soaked it up. But that was all i liked about it, the sizing was weird - i was on a large and it felt like a small medium and the absolute worst thing was the way it cornered... I couldnt deal with it and ultimately this is the reason i would never buy one. Because the axle path is sooooo rearward, the chainstay length gets bigger whenever you compress it so when your leaned over and pumping a berm, the bike wants to stand up on you. Its the weirdest feeling and coming from something like my m9, a low and slack bike that corners like a dream, i just couldnt take it.

buy a dhr - they are sweet, they soak up the chunder, pedal and corner amazing and thus they ride amazing, they look cool, and not every grom on the hill has one - dooooooooo it

mtbr member
    Im guessing you did not ride the 2012 jedi
    '12 Canfield One! - f\/ck yeah!
    '12 Canfield brothers Jedi F1 - so fast im back in time

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chup29 View Post
    i would caution against the jedi from personal experience, i had a much older v10 as my first real race frame so that would be my choice but you definitely dont want your sweet carbon frame bouncing down the hill as you get the hang of this dh thing.
    Why not?
    Besides, I think the better you get, the bigger the crashes. Unless you go stagnant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    Im guessing you did not ride the 2012 jedi
    truth haha - i rode i think the first version of the jedi? black with blue links - i think there has been some revisions - i didnt mean to make it sound like you couldnt go fast on a jedi - certainly thats not the case, but it requires a different way to ride and corner just like the v10 requires a different way to jump. If your a beginner and you learn that one unique weight transfer cornering style, when you get your next bike and its not a jedi - your going to have to re-learn how to corner.

as for the carbon debate - im just getting hooked up with a carbon dh frame for next year so you guys will see it on here shortly but i will be damned if i crash with that thing for the first 6 months - far too pretty haha, with carbon its the way you crash rather than the force, carbon is stronger than aluminum is so many ways but if you land on a sharp enough rock at a low force impact or a high force impact - the weave is gonna get damaged and your going to gradually weaken the frame so for crashing - id still prefer the weaker aluminum (that feels weird to say haha) - plus its better to have something to look up too, you definitely dont want to be that person with the brand new carbon v10 whose holding everyone up on the green trails - your just asking to get "chad reeded"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    how about banshee legend? Wilson,Pivot etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Probably not gonna go the split-pivot design, and I think I'd go with the Jedi over the Banshee because of the bump compliance. As far as going the dwLink route, I'm really looking at how it handles hits over how well it pedals, which is why I was interested in the V10 and Jedi - honestly, I was just a bit curious about the Demo, as I can save myself the worry of a build and still be at the lower end of the price range when it comes to having the better components I'm looking for.

I'm really leaning towards the Jedi/CCDB route.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Personally I like my 2011 Demo.. its all in the set up, but it handles the rough stuff well, corners well and jumps well if set up right. I find it to be pretty nimble at 37-38 lbs stock.

Really when it comes down to it all the bikes you list are going to be great bikes. I have seen each of those bikes tear it up here in Colorado. They are all regulars around here, but the Demo and the V-10 seem to be the bike I see the most of around these parts and people who ride them love them..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If price matter and if you're after a medium sized frame you can look at Santa Cruz clearance sale. They have a medium 2012 V10 at 45% off.

mtbr member
    had a demo 2012 for 3 months after i sold my 2008 Jedi and got the 2012 Jedi

couldnt wait to get rid of the demo, it corners and jumps good, but thats about it.
    '12 Canfield One! - f\/ck yeah!
    '12 Canfield brothers Jedi F1 - so fast im back in time

mtbr member
    of the 3 mentioned i would for sure get the jedi. awesome bike and the brothers would love to have ya

brake later, pedal sooner
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    couldnt wait to get rid of the demo, it corners and jumps good, but thats about it.
    hmm thats funny, thats all i really want from a bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast