mtbr member
    Mar 2011

2013 888 Evo or CR?

Hi,
    I need to replace the 888 RV on my 2012 tr450. Both forks I'm considering are 2013 models. Should I go with the 888 CR, which can be had for about $800, or the evo v2 (non ti), which will cost me about $1028?

Is the evo worth the price difference? I like that its in white, but if its not much different than the CR, I'd rather save the money.

I think either way, I will see a massive performance difference from my OEM 888 RV.

Anybody have any experience with the 2013 zocchi forks? I heard they have a new manufacturer in Taiwan or something.

Thanks.

Perpetual Hack
    If your 888RV has a good chassis - ie no bad stantion wear etc, then give Craig a call at Avalanche and have one of his damper units put in.
    Whilst not a fork, I know people who have ordered a brand new Fox Van RC rear and had it shipped direct to Craig for him to put his internals in.
    Worth a look, and quite a bit cheaper than a brand new fork.
    There are a couple of threads (suspension forum, and knolly board) talking about his fork cartridges...

Marzocchi 888 38mm 2008 Cartridge Kit

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks I actually just called Craig. The idea of shipping my fork to him to get a new cartridge is interesting, but it would still cost me around $600. While for $200 more, I could get a brand new 888 CR.

I also discovered that my 888 RV has 35mm stanchions. Craig said he could work with that, but the parts might be harder to find. I think I would rather upgrade to a new fork with 38mm stanchions than just overhaul my current one. Plus I can't resist those new gold stanchions!

So as per my original question, what would be the difference between the CR and the EVO? I don't really care about a ton of adjustments, since rebound is the only thing I care about in a fork. I am really only concerned about smoothness and performance. But if the Evo is known for much better performance, I might consider it for $200 more.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rswitz View Post
    Thanks I actually just called Craig. The idea of shipping my fork to him to get a new cartridge is interesting, but it would still cost me around $600. While for $200 more, I could get a brand new 888 CR.

I also discovered that my 888 RV has 35mm stanchions. Craig said he could work with that, but the parts might be harder to find. I think I would rather upgrade to a new fork with 38mm stanchions than just overhaul my current one. Plus I can't resist those new gold stanchions!

So as per my original question, what would be the difference between the CR and the EVO? I don't really care about a ton of adjustments, since rebound is the only thing I care about in a fork. I am really only concerned about smoothness and performance. But if the Evo is known for much better performance, I might consider it for $200 more.

Thanks

a slightly used 888 with a AVY cartridge will out perform ( and by a LOT ) any brand new 888 ...just saying.

Uphill? What's that
    I have a 2010 evo and my wife uses a 2012 CR.. Both forks perform extremely well. The EVO has more adjustment but if you want either to perform at its best then spend a a little extra and have Marzocchi tune the fork for your weight and riding style.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    I have a 2010 evo and my wife uses a 2012 CR.. Both forks perform extremely well. The EVO has more adjustment but if you want either to perform at its best then spend a a little extra and have Marzocchi tune the fork for your weight and riding style.
    Hey Rob Bob, do you know how much Marzocchi charges for their tuning options.
    I picked up an 2012 888 CR late last year and haven't even rode it yet.
    I'm the average size rider tho (180lbs) so the fork might be already set for me.
    Last edited by blcman; 02-16-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

Uphill? What's that
    I think it was around $100.00.. Having it tuned by Marzocchi is totally worth it.. The difference is absolutely amazing..

What?
    if your interested in a 2012 CR, you can get it for $650 new
    Marzocchi 888 CR 200mm Fork 2012 at Price Point

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq View Post
    a slightly used 888 with a AVY cartridge will out perform ( and by a LOT ) any brand new 888 ...just saying.
    This true. I've ridden a 888 with basically every cart, tuned by Marzocchi engineers, and the avy is by far the best.

Professional Troll
    I would definitely go with a 2012 888 CR over a 2013 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    if your interested in a 2012 CR, you can get it for $650 new
    Marzocchi 888 CR 200mm Fork 2012 at Price Point

RideDirt
    Anything Avy will beat whatever you want to put against it . It is FULLY customized to YOU with the best parts.

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    This true. I've ridden a 888 with basically every cart, tuned by Marzocchi engineers, and the avy is by far the best.
    Can you give a specific thing that makes the Avy perform better.. I will either be buying a new fork at the end of this season or maybe do the Avy upgrade. I have not had a chance to try a fork with an Avy cartridge and I am curious as to what makes them better Han other options.

Professional Troll
    Can you give a specific thing that makes the Avy perform better.. I will either be buying a new fork at the end of this season or maybe do the Avy upgrade. I have not had a chance to try a fork with an Avy cartridge and I am curious as to what makes them better Han other options.
    Compression damping and bottom out resistance are the big ones. It eliminates a lot of the brake dive and has more mid and low speed compression damping. I was noticeably faster my first runs on it. Even the guys I was riding with mentioned it. It allows you to ride much more aggressively through rocks and steep stuff.

Additionally there is no hard *THUNK* bottom out. The hydraulic bottom out resistance is impressive, and very real. It feels bottomless. There is no hard metal on metal feel that the OEM damper has.

mtbr member
    Marzocchi 888 38mm 2008 Cartridge Kit
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    evo

Tire Geek O_o
    I would also like to know which are the biggest differences in performance quality with both 2013 forks evo and cr.

After reading this all I can gather is, spend quite some money on a fork and then spend almost another fork customizing it with the Avalanche cartridges. I mean that possibility is cool. But when there isnt extra money available ... and you have to stick with the OEM cartridges...

which is the best, evo or cr?
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    See my other post. It's a matter of cost.

The 888 CR is hands down the best fork for under $1000. If you can get the 888 for close to the price of the CR, it becomes a more difficult decision. I wouldn't necessarily say the CR is better, but it's really good in its own right. It has the same smooth stroke and reliability of a marzo, but it doesn't spike or ping like a cheap damper. It dives a bit under braking, and it's difficult to get it so that it doesn't firm up under chatter and simultaneously not dive/bob, but I attribute that to not have independent adjusters.

For $280? I don't know if I would spring for the EVO, simply because another $100 or so nets you an avy cart, which would be reasonably superior to the EVO cart.

FWIW, all 2014 zokes forks are switching to the CR style damper.

Tire Geek O_o
    So the evo V2 is around 1030usd, you say that you can go for the CR which is 849$ plus 100$ for an avalanche cart? I thought the avalanche upgrade is close to 400usd.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No, I'm saying that you can get a CR and an avy cart for not much more than a 888 EVO RC3. I'd rather have that setup ($850 CR+ $400 Avy cart) than the $1150 Evo.

Tire Geek O_o
    I see. Never heard of the avalanche before. Is it really that much better???

I might consider keeping my old 2009 888 and just installing that upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am looking at getting a 2013 marzocchi 888 rc3 evo v2 as well but can't find much about them has any one had much time on them?