mtbr member
    Jan 2011

2012 Intense Uzzi to replace my 2008 SX Trail?

I've been on the hunt to replace my 2008 SX trail. I love the bike but have beat it to all hell. I was looking for a bike that had a little more travel than my SX trail and a little larger cockpit with out committing to a full on DH bike. One of the bikes I'm seriously considering is the 2012 Intense Uzzi. Does anybody have any experience or thoughts on this bike? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I had the 2011 for a little less than a season. I thought it was a pretty good bike overall. I didn't like how close the "vertical" part of the rear triangle was to the tire. Rocks would get ground through the gap frequently. I see they have improved the design for 2012. The effective top tube length seemed short to me for a "large" . I don't know how that compares to '12. I seem to remember they made an xl for '12. Not positive though.

The rear shock mounting hardware from intense was a little too wide at one end of the shock, and scraped up the linkage pretty well where the shock mounts before I realized there was a problem and replaced the hardware with a narrower set up. It was forcing the linkage to bulge out to take the shock. One side of the bottom bracket shell wasn't well tapped and needed work before a BB would thread nicely. Neither was a big deal to address, but for the price of the frame, they seemed like sloppy mistakes.

I think the grease port for the pivot point could have been better.

I liked the vpp suspension and the adjustability of the frame. I'm pleased to see intense tweaked the rear triangle for the next model year.

Glad to Be Alive
    other bikes to look at are Nomad and Canfield The One

my observation on riding these two bikes

I have the Nomad..

the Nomad has to be set up with almost 40% sag to get plushness but you still have peddle bob and really have to concentrate on pedaling efficient when set this way...most people complain that the bike is harsh....that is true with orginal sag...the bike gets choppy/bouncy through rough chatter

The ONE I have rode this bike in 2 configurations....set up as xc and 28 pounds in 2008 ...I was really impressed about the travel and how well it pedaled....the bike was as lite as my stumpjumper but handled the chop way better....just smooth.....the second time I rode it was a year ago....it was set up with an 888 ti and CCDB coil...it weighed like 34 to 36 pounds...OMGosh it was plushed and pedaled very well (even with heavy rims) ...

In all honesty....I got an extreme good deal on my Nomad used.....if not I would have got a Canfield The One. I will probably sell my Nomad in less then a year and get the Canfield The One...it is that good of a bike IMO
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am VERY interested in the Canfield but have not found one place in SoCal that carries that bike, or frame. I would be interested in seeing that bike in person before investing the money in the frame....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Try the new Intense Spider 29
    That bike is sweet and will go up, down, around and through just about anything!
    My husband has had his for about a month now and he can't stop talking about how
    awesome that bike is to ride. He just converted to tubeless and gained another 2.1 miles mph

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by t-sixtyfive View Post
    I am VERY interested in the Canfield but have not found one place in SoCal that carries that bike, or frame. I would be interested in seeing that bike in person before investing the money in the frame....
    wait like a week or 2....if you know Tom aka DFT he is getting one with air CCDB...he lives in your area
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you're ready to sacrifice a bit pedalability, at least try the TR250. I'm just in love with this bike, so versatile, so adjustable, so playful and pedals decently too. Frame is not the lightest but who cares? Its built to last.
    Have heard good things about the the one as well. Uzzi would be the wisest choice if pedaling is important to you.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250