mtbr member

2012 Demo 8 Review

I got bored and wrote down everything I could think about my Demo. Caution, it's kind of long.
    The Demo 8: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly by ivcrider - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Good review. '12 Demo is my first real big bike, and I'm happy with it so far. Never heard of the shock issue, damn.

mtbr member
    Good thing I have a Demo 7 ...I kid. Love it for the trail that we have...Would love to have an 8, but can't find too many faults on my 7.

Great right up.
    Folangag

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Nice writeup, thanks for sharing.

I put 25+ days at Northstar, 4 days at Whistler, 7 days at Mammoth
    Dang, nice summer!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAYR751 View Post
    Next topic: sizing. In my initial review I said I would have been happy with a medium or a large. With more saddle time I quickly realized that statement was incorrect. Being 5’11, the medium is slightly too small and the large is slightly too big. If you’re the same height as me, I would not recommend riding a Demo. Being in the middle of the two sizes could be one of the reasons I am uncomfortable at high speed on this bike, or feel a bit awkward jumping on it.
    Nice review. I think that most of us 5'11 guys get less then perfect fit with most of the big manufactures. I have the same sizing issue with my Session, but were I feel a bit awkward is on bermed S turns.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Awesome review very imformatove

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the great right up man. I've gotten a few rides on my buddy's 2011 Demo 8 and noticed some similar characteristics. I'm almost the same height as you and the Medium felt a tad small. You seem pretty stoked on the DHR. I'm looking for a new frame for 2013. Got any other frames you'd recommend that are worth checking out? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    Thanks for the great right up man. I've gotten a few rides on my buddy's 2011 Demo 8 and noticed some similar characteristics. I'm almost the same height as you and the Medium felt a tad small. You seem pretty stoked on the DHR. I'm looking for a new frame for 2013. Got any other frames you'd recommend that are worth checking out? Thanks.
    I rode a DW DHR last season and I was pumped on it. It's not a plow bike by any means but does everything else exactly how you'd want it. It's like a better version of the Iron Horse Sunday. The only reason I sold it was because Turner sent me a frame with mis-welded ISCG tabs. The large fit me perfectly as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAYR751 View Post
    The only reason I sold it was because Turner sent me a frame with mis-welded ISCG tabs
    you sold it with bad tabs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    you sold it with bad tabs?
    Yeah. I disclosed that to the buyer, however. From what I've seen him post about the bike, he seems to be enjoying it.

mtbr member
    cool, what are you riding now?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Does the DHR jump pretty well? I ride a lot of freeride trails, but also make trips to Whistler so want a bike that's fun to ride on flow jump trails and also steep rocky DH. Interesting that you went with a large. I've always gone Medium on my bikes so far. Will have to check the sizing. And yeah, what are you riding now?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    whats the difference between freeride and DH

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    thanks for this....considering a demo next.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oh, to me freeride is more flow/jump trails with man made features vs. DH is more steep and rough terrain.

Us at local freeride:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvE8CY7QqE

Whistler DH:
    Random people on Joyride trail at Whistler
    Whistler Bike Park JOYRIDE COMPLETE (upper and lower) Aug 2011 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    Oh, to me freeride is more flow/jump trails with man made features vs. DH is more steep and rough terrain.

Us at local freeride:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvE8CY7QqE

Whistler DH:
    Random people on Joyride trail at Whistler
    Whistler Bike Park JOYRIDE COMPLETE (upper and lower) Aug 2011 - YouTube
    That trail is rad. I love berms and jumps. Steep and sketch is fun. But, railing berms and getting air time excites me more. Wish my trail could be longer.
    Last edited by darkzeon; 11-02-2012 at 07:44 PM.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Just so you know, Cane Creek has made the shaft bigger for the Demo and other bikes with a similar shock layout. I bought my CCDB right when they made that change.

-Brett

mtbr member
    I consider big mountain a sub category of freeride also.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm 5'9" 150# and demo'd the medium and large this year at whistler. I found both amazing with the large being slightly more stable. I also bottomed out the medium 400# coil rear at the GLC drop every time. Did you have any problems with this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KU_MechE View Post
    I'm 5'9" 150# and demo'd the medium and large this year at whistler. I found both amazing with the large being slightly more stable. I also bottomed out the medium 400# coil rear at the GLC drop every time. Did you have any problems with this?
    I think that drop bottoms out every shock on every bike..

I am 5'9 and 150 and run a #350 and rarely bottom it out..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have ridden a buddies demo and have similar thoughts as you. I think if you are riding smooth, jumpy DH trail this is a great frame. High speed and rough and I couldn't get off the bike fast enough.