mtbr member
    Sep 2009

2012 888 Evo or 2011 Fox 40?

Thinking about upgrading my 2010 888 RCV. Always been happy with my Zoke forks, but considering a 40 as another option due to both low and high speed compression adjustments. 2012 888 can be had for about $850 and the 2011 40 for $999. Would prefer to spend less if possible. Anyone had time on these and care to comment? Have heard good things about both. Durability is important to me and I've had good luck with Zoke so far. How do the bottom outs compare, either more plush than the other? Thanks!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    Thinking about upgrading my 2010 888 RCV. Always been happy with my Zoke forks, but considering a 40 as another option due to both low and high speed compression adjustments. 2012 888 can be had for about $850 and the 2011 40 for $999. Would prefer to spend less if possible. Anyone had time on these and care to comment? Have heard good things about both. Durability is important to me and I've had good luck with Zoke so far. How do the bottom outs compare, either more plush than the other? Thanks!
    888's RC3's have high and low compression..plus more ....Zokes are known for dependabilty/durability with less maintenance....both are good forks....I have an 888 Ti Evo and love it

take a look at this...from isreal buyer beware
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

biking is fun
    I was torn between a 888 evo ti and 2012 fox 40 and ended up going with the 40. I got such a killer deal on it that I couldn't pass it up. Also, I know marz has cleaned their act up but I am still haunted by the 2 years of bad forks and their warranty service is hit and miss. I sent a 09 888 in during the summer and didn't get it back til the next january. Luckily I had a back up fork. My dad's 66 took 3 months last year to get back. Fox and Rock shox's get stuff back in a couple of weeks. Now that I own a house and am paying for school, I can't afford back up forks or to just replace it if its taking too long.

With that said, the 888 requires less maintenance and they feel amazing. With the new batch of forks being pretty reliable maybe you wouldn't need the warranty service.

From what you describe though (Durable and plush) the 888 might be what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I know i'm rolling the dice on the 2012 stuff and going ahead and buying the 888. I love the way it feels...i just hope it doesn't crap out on me. i haven't bought a marzocchi since the 2009 stuff which just was awful. I haven't had as long of wait times for warranty as eric did above...but it was def longer than sram/fox. CS seems to be better than 2 years ago, so smooth, and adding that with the normal stem direct mount drillings, and that's why i'm going marzocchi

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought the 888 Evo had one compression dampening adjuster knob and then shim stacks for the high speed compression modification. Am I wrong?

Does anyone know what changed between the 2011 and 2012 Evo (besides going to the Boxxer style mount)? Looks like the 2011 are quite a bit cheaper.

Glad to Be Alive
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought the 888 Evo had one compression dampening adjuster knob and then shim stacks for the high speed compression modification. Am I wrong?

Does anyone know what changed between the 2011 and 2012 Evo (besides going to the Boxxer style mount)? Looks like the 2011 are quite a bit cheaper.
    jump on the deal of a 2011...basically the same except for the upper crown which has 2 clamp bolts on each side instead of one

there are seperate high speed knobs...at the bottom of one leg is your small bump sensitivity and on top is for the big hits....and you can shim stack how ever you want it....but the stock is pretty sweet....I bet over 95% of the riders use the stock shim stack and are happy about it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

You're right about the adjustments, It is an internal HSC adjustment. But my understanding is that it works a lot better than having a knob. Someone with more technical know how can explain why, I'm not sure. I also read that a lot of people who changed them ended up going back to the stock stack because that's what felt best.

I'm pretty sure for 2012 they only lightened it up, all the internals are the same. I just got a 2011 55 Rc3 Ti, I only have one ride on it, so I can't speak much for how it performs. But I replaced an 08 55r with it, and I'll say it's world's better in every aspect. It weights less, that one ride and I know it already performs better, the adjustment knobs make a real click, and actually make noticeable differences.

I think you'll be pleased with either 11 or 12 888. Get whatever year you can find cheaper IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Where are you finding cheap 2011 EVOs?

biking is fun
    I thought the 2012 had the new internals. The evo2 cartridge or something with a better rebound assembly. Also the boxxer mounts are worth the extra IMO.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloMyNameIsSean View Post
    You're right about the adjustments, It is an internal HSC adjustment. But my understanding is that it works a lot better than having a knob. Someone with more technical know how can explain why, I'm not sure. I also read that a lot of people who changed them ended up going back to the stock stack because that's what felt best.

I'm pretty sure for 2012 they only lightened it up, all the internals are the same. I just got a 2011 55 Rc3 Ti, I only have one ride on it, so I can't speak much for how it performs. But I replaced an 08 55r with it, and I'll say it's world's better in every aspect. It weights less, that one ride and I know it already performs better, the adjustment knobs make a real click, and actually make noticeable differences.

I think you'll be pleased with either 11 or 12 888. Get whatever year you can find cheaper IMO.
    the 888 2010's where very good too...pretty close to the 2011's and 12's

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ^i was told the evo 2 cartridge is new and sounded better. I can't remember exactly why. I was pretty tired when it was explained to me.

whatever is being said...if both forks were in front of me for free, i'd probably go fox. just when i'm paying 300 more, to me it's close and i just want to try something new

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson View Post
    ^i was told the evo 2 cartridge is new and sounded better. I can't remember exactly why. I was pretty tired when it was explained to me.

whatever is being said...if both forks were in front of me for free, i'd probably go fox. just when i'm paying 300 more, to me it's close and i just want to try something new
    just don't buy the ti....look for 2010 and 2011 888's...great deals

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    just don't buy the ti....look for 2010 and 2011 888's...great deals
    whats wrong with the ti? just not worth it?

FWIW, old vs new zoke. My new 66 rc3 evo rocks when compared to my 66rc 2005 model. I didn't think that anything would usurp that old fork, but this one has.
    Just another redneck with a bike

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz View Post
    whats wrong with the ti? just not worth it?

FWIW, old vs new zoke. My new 66 rc3 evo rocks when compared to my 66rc 2005 model. I didn't think that anything would usurp that old fork, but this one has.
    all depends on how much money you want to pay for the extra 3/4 of a pound...personally I goy The Ti

mtbr member
    As has been said already, it is hard to go wrong with either of the two as both are top-notch products. Whichever you go for I'm sure you will enjoy and be happy with.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for all the input guys. Ending up ordering a 2012 888 Evo for a good price. Sounds like it's gonna be awesome. I'll post up a review after I get some rides on it, may take a while since it's snow season and all, but you know I'll be taking her out for a test ride as soon as I get her

Glad to Be Alive
    Thanks for all the input guys. Ending up ordering a 2012 888 Evo for a good price. Sounds like it's gonna be awesome. I'll post up a review after I get some rides on it, may take a while since it's snow season and all, but you know I'll be taking her out for a test ride as soon as I get her
    i think you will be really surprised how good it feels and then gets better after break in

Tire Geek O_o
    genemk,
    some months have passed away since you got your fork... care to share your impressions?
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!