Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2011 vs.2012 Boxxer World Cup

I'm shopping for a new/used fork. Anyone know if there's a difference? Thanks

mtbr member
    2012 RockShox BoXXer World Cup Fork Review | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

This has some comparisons between the two. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Thank you so much! I swear I googled it and searched the forums.

mtbr member
    which bike is it for?

mtbr member
    Canfield The One to be my first DH bike. I'm a little unsure now if this is even the fork I want. Came across mostly reviews while looking for the differences in the 2011 and 2012. All the information about the WC being high maintenance and not so great at small bump and slow speed absorption makes me think the weight savings isn't worth it. Considering maintenance isn't really my thing and I'm kinda slow compared to an expert guy racer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Why are you limiting yourself to boxxers only?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Why are you limiting yourself to boxxers only?
    Quite possibly because Boxxers are pretty cheap on the used market. You can get a used 2011-2012 RC2C around $700, give or take a C-note and maybe even 2. Marz EVO RC2 are in the same price range, I'm looking to be on one next spring.

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    Quite possibly because Boxxers are pretty cheap on the used market. You can get a used 2011-2012 RC2C around $700, give or take a C-note and maybe even 2. Marz EVO RC2 are in the same price range, I'm looking to be on one next spring.
    Yes, and shop around - I paid USD 800 for a brand new in box, 2012 R2C2 from a dealer on ebay - that included shipping to Australia. I wasn't that keen on a boxxer either but at this price you gotta really ask yourself if you want to spend that much more for something else.
    And, I gotta admit, I'm pretty happy with it. Not quite as good as my 2010 Fox 40, but then again it will hopefully last longer. I could pop an avalanche cartridge in there and it'd still be cheaper than most of the competition.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    What's your budget?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    Yes, and shop around - I paid USD 800 for a brand new in box, 2012 R2C2 from a dealer on ebay - that included shipping to Australia. I wasn't that keen on a boxxer either but at this price you gotta really ask yourself if you want to spend that much more for something else.
    And, I gotta admit, I'm pretty happy with it. Not quite as good as my 2010 Fox 40, but then again it will hopefully last longer. I could pop an avalanche cartridge in there and it'd still be cheaper than most of the competition.
    That's why I've been on RS ever since I started MTB. Cost effective, easy to rebuild, outstanding CS, and minimal performance difference at me level of riding.
    I'm going to eat the 200g or so difference to give a Marz an go for the set it and forget it maitanance free (limited) 888, but it's not written it stone yet.

mtbr member
    Money and weight were the main reasons for the Boxxer. The right choice for me is more important than budget I suppose. I am keeping my Giant Reign X for all mountain cross-country riding so the Canfield will mostly be a chairlift and shuttle run race bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina L View Post
    Money and weight were the main reasons for the Boxxer. The right choice for me is more important than budget I suppose. I am keeping my Giant Reign X for all mountain cross-country riding so the Canfield will mostly be a chairlift and shuttle run race bike.
    I have no experience with this, but from what I've read smaller riders have complained that the Fox 40 can be to stiff and less forgiving.

mtbr member
    I'm assuming you're not talking about spring weight. Too stiff as in the stanchions do not flex enough? Could that even be a problem?

mtbr member
    Just curious, but what type of terrain will you primarily be riding?

mtbr member
    I'm assuming you're not talking about spring weight. Too stiff as in the stanchions do not flex enough? Could that even be a problem?
    You can read about it in some form in just about every Bikeradar review of the fox 40 from as far back as 07 (maybe?). Basicly, forces deflected through bike and body (especially the UB, arms and wrist) in the rough due to the stiff chassie is the only negitive compromises to this fork.
    Last edited by Drth Vadr; 11-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    I ride Pacifica the most and Northstar as much as I can. Any of the Central and Northern California races I can make it to. Carlmont will probably be more fun once I get a bigger bike.

I see what you're saying about the stiffness now. Kinda like the difference between aluminum frames and steel frames on hard tails.

mtbr member
    I ride Pacifica the most...
    The crack? one mile? boy scout?

mtbr member
    Mile and. Boyscout mostly.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    thanks for the link. I've heard that single crown argument for lightweight riders over and over again and I'm not buying it. Seems to me that a properly set up fork with the right spring weight or air pressure is going to be the same for everyone. I guess one other thing to think about is that I'm not that great at setting up my suspension. Does that make a difference between coil or air?
    Last edited by Christina L; 11-08-2012 at 02:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    You can read about it in some form in just about every Bikeradar review of the fox 40 from as far back as 07 (maybe?). Basicly, forces deflected through bike and body (especially the UB, arms and wrist) in the rough due to the stiff chassie is the only negitive compromises to this fork.
    I actually find it to be the opposite, the stiffer the better. Women in the WC DH series can handle 40's. I'm hoping Fox come out with 42-43mm stanchions, it's great but it could be improved upon. I would happily suffer the weight difference in return for extra stiffness.
    40s aren't for everyone though.
    Last edited by SV11; 11-08-2012 at 03:10 PM.

mtbr member
    I guess one other thing to think about is that I'm not that great at setting up my suspension. Does that make a difference between coil or air?
    I currently ride the Boxxer RC so it didn't take that long to dial it in for me, I just get it to where it works and deal with it. I think that if you're not stubborn about your technique, your body will adjust a lot quicker than you can tune suspension to the 1 way someone would want to ride.

Regarding coil and air tuning. Coil is pretty much set and done, plus maintenance. Air would be set and check air pressure every so often, but if you have the numbers it's not a big hassle (and of course maintenance).

It really depends on what you want. I see people who never take care of their forks riding just as big as anyone else. And on the other hand people who make tiny adjustments and wipe their stanchion every 5 minutes. For me it comes down to: I'm not sponsored, so I'm going to need it to work for awhile; if something breaks, it needs to be cheap to fix, and if I try to sell it in the future, would I care about the return. With the boxxer RC that came with my bike, I don't really think twice about it.

Oh and One mile is super fun, fast and loose!

The Crack is way too technical for the riding I like to do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey..

Servicing a boxxer is the easiest thing in the world. if you change the oil monthly or so, they run perfectly.. takes a half hour or less (more the first time).. lots of tutorials online or find someone to show you and buy them some beer..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    I currently ride the Boxxer RC so it didn't take that long to dial it in for me, I just get it to where it works and deal with it. I think that if you're not stubborn about your technique, your body will adjust a lot quicker than you can tune suspension to the 1 way someone would want to ride.

Regarding coil and air tuning. Coil is pretty much set and done, plus maintenance. Air would be set and check air pressure every so often, but if you have the numbers it's not a big hassle (and of course maintenance).

It really depends on what you want. I see people who never take care of their forks riding just as big as anyone else. And on the other hand people who make tiny adjustments and wipe their stanchion every 5 minutes. For me it comes down to: I'm not sponsored, so I'm going to need it to work for awhile; if something breaks, it needs to be cheap to fix, and if I try to sell it in the future, would I care about the return. With the boxxer RC that came with my bike, I don't really think twice about it.

Oh and One mile is super fun, fast and loose!

The Crack is way too technical for the riding I like to do.
    I actually thought about getting an RC because it's not that much heavier than the World Cup and then I would not have to deal with extra settings. And nice and cheap.

yeah, mile is lots of fun. Haven't even pushed up crack to look at it yet.

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    Hey..

Servicing a boxxer is the easiest thing in the world. if you change the oil monthly or so, they run perfectly.. takes a half hour or less (more the first time).. lots of tutorials online or find someone to show you and buy them some beer..

good to hear, I can handle that. I learned how to bleed my Avid brakes and change shifter cables from YouTube. Kind of surprises me when it works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast