Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    do you have your frame yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    I actually find it to be the opposite, the stiffer the better. Women in the WC DH series can handle 40's. I'm hoping Fox come out with 42-43mm stanchions, it's great but it could be improved upon. I would happily suffer the weight difference in return for extra stiffness.
    40s aren't for everyone though.
    WC chicks are training their a$$ off. Not even a fair comparison.

mtbr member
    ha ha, I was thinking the same thing. Those chicks ride like dudes! Was going to let that one go.

Got the frame two weeks ago! Got some wheels last week. 240s with i23's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    WC chicks are training their a$$ off. Not even a fair comparison.
    I don't buy into this arguement at all. You can train day and night, no one would want to use a fork that is less forgiving and stiff., after all they are trying to win races. This is actually the first I"m hearing of the 40s being "too" stiff in a negative way. YMMV

Let's not forget, boxxers went from 35 to 38 (I wonder why), who knows where they are headed next.
    Last edited by SV11; 11-08-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Look at the time!
    Ya I agree, the "too stiff" thing is BS. I don't train my ass off, I went straight from a F40 to a Boxxer. First of all the difference in side-to-side stiffness is marginal, hardly noticeable to me. I couldn't promise you that I'd be able to tell them apart by stiffness/flexyness in a blind test, even though our trails are very rocky with lots of stuff that will kick your front wheel in every direction.
    Second, the Boxxer so far is harsher on my arms, not because of chassis stiffness, but simply because the damper doesn't seem to be quite as lively as the Fox damper when soaking up hard/fast hits.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    Ya I agree, the "too stiff" thing is BS. I don't train my ass off, I went straight from a F40 to a Boxxer. First of all the difference in side-to-side stiffness is marginal, hardly noticeable to me. I couldn't promise you that I'd be able to tell them apart by stiffness/flexyness in a blind test, even though our trails are very rocky with lots of stuff that will kick your front wheel in every direction.
    Second, the Boxxer so far is harsher on my arms, not because of chassis stiffness, but simply because the damper doesn't seem to be quite as lively as the Fox damper when soaking up hard/fast hits.
    Good comparison..

I went from a single crown Marz 66 to a boxxer and notice how much more plush the boxxer is.. the extra travel allowed me to set it up with more sag and therefore a softer ride..

I hear all the complaints about the boxxer, but personally I think its a great fork. Easy to adjust, easy to work on and in a full year it has not let me down once.. and its been ridden a ton..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    I don't buy into this arguement at all. You can train day and night, no one would want to use a fork that is less forgiving and stiff., after all they are trying to win races. This is actually the first I"m hearing of the 40s being "too" stiff in a negative way. YMMV

Let's not forget, boxxers went from 35 to 38 (I wonder why), who knows where they are headed next.
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    Since you didn't understand, I will repeat. Smaller riders may find the 40 to stiff and unforgiving in the rough!. I'm sure neither of you have a WC suspension tune on you rig, so yeah, it would be hardly noticeable to you. I'm not ragging on the 40 or calling it "Too Stiff". I want stiff to (that's what she said), but that might not work for everyone not in the top 1% on riders (WC riders). I have wrist and shoulder problems so I need stiff, but compliant, and I know what forgiving means when it comes to stress on the joints.

By the way, Boxxer went from 32mm to 35mm stanchions and FYI, Marz are 38mm.

I will admit that most of these are before the Fox magic coating(ha.ha couldn't spell it) came out.

You might find the stiff chassis deflects too much vibration through your bike and body
    Robin Weaver, Mountain Biking UK

One big factor is how stiff these forks are, especially if you are coming to them from an older RockShox Boxxer fork. This will invariably bring with it pros and cons a stiffer fork will potentially create more feedback and could also be considered to be more efficient and precise, although they do lose compliance, which can contribute to arm pump in the rough.
    Doddy, MBUK

The stiffness keeps them supple however harder you're braking, cornering or smacking into square edges too. You'll need strong wrists and forearms to really exploit this advantage on long courses rather than being battered.
    BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    By the way, Boxxer went from 32mm to 35mm stanchions and FYI, Marz are 38mm.
    You're right, I confused it with my 888's. Didn't realise Boxxers were still at 35. Thanks for claifying.
    I would take what MBUK says with a grain of salt. I've had a couple of yrs on my 40 (non kashima), I never experienced any of those cons, no arm pump, no sore wrists, nothing nada... and to be honest this is the first time I'm hearing of it.
    Last edited by SV11; 11-09-2012 at 11:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina L View Post

Got the frame two weeks ago! Got some wheels last week. 240s with i23's.
    start a build thread and take lots of pictures!

mtbr member
    I guess what I was worried about the most was "small bump absorption". Can the Boxxer World Cup really be that bad for this? Hate to say it but that's probably the majority of my riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I guess what I was worried about the most was "small bump absorption". Can the Boxxer World Cup really be that bad for this? Hate to say it but that's probably the majority of my riding.
    I dont notice it, seems to absorb small bumps just fine if set up right..

~~~~~~~~
    From what you've described you need to go coil, get the right spring, set it and forget it, oil changes are easy and makes a difference. I ride the old 32mm Team, better suspension is better than better chassis for me. I weigh 150.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2