Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RJJ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2011 Demo 8: Is the frame particularly heavy?

I am expecting delivery of my 2011 Demo 8 very soon, and when I weighed a medium frameset in a shop on their scales and it was exactly 12 pounds including shock, seat post, axle headset cups and chain stay protector. I guess this would equate to a minimum of about 11.7 pounds for just the frame and shock. Allowing for about 2.4 pounds (38 oz) for the shock and coil (I think this is reasonably accurate guess), gives a frame only weight of 9.3 pounds.

Apparently from this forum and others, (and I know there is a lot of misinformation on real weights) there are plenty of DH 8" frames weighing at least 20% less than this.

Specialized claimed a reduction of pound for the 2011 model over the 2010 frame.

So my question is whether you think that is a good DH frame weight or not, and have they really taken pounds off the frame?

I am not a weight weenie at all, however I was just interested in where it may sit relative to other similar bikes.
    Last edited by RJJ; 01-16-2011 at 06:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    your seatpost/headset cups and chainstay weigh more then 0.3 pounds surely.

and as for the weight itself, most of it sits super low on the frame. i doubt you will have to worry about it.

Also there seems to be a lot of the new demos kicking around at around 37-39 lbs.. about as good as it gets for a full DH bike build without spending silly cash on exotic materials

my legend isnt the lightest frame by far. but since im not a sponsored rider, i hope the 1 pound or so extra weight is worth in lasting when it gets a beating + weight again sits super low on the frame, so i dont really notice it

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    2011 Demo 8 frame is ballpark weight for contemporary DH racing frame

don't worry about it, its sturdy enough not to easily dent, and a really good ride on rough ground

if you need to save more weight, do it in the components as its always easier / cheaper to replace bent parts than a cracked or bent frame!

we weighed Devinci's new 2011 Wilson SP bike in the RC (mid range) model and it was 40.5lb with the Demo 8 bike we weighed coming in at 39lb

both with pedals....

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by RJJ
    Specialized claimed a reduction of pound for the 2011 model over the 2010 frame.

So my question is whether you think that is a good DH frame weight or not, and have they really taken pounds off the frame?
    Why would you NOT think Specialized took 3/4lb off? Older Demos were heavy with extra stays.

mtbr member
    2011s still have extra stays.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoe671
    2011s still have extra stays.
    No sh1t. Means there are lots of places to take weight off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

sitting low? oh boy

Quote Originally Posted by DeanH
    and as for the weight itself, most of it sits super low on the frame. + weight again sits super low on the frame, so i dont really notice it
    Since when does sitting "low" in the frame make a difference if your bike weighs a few pounds more than other frames? Is the next evolution talking about "where" your bike carries its weight? Does saving weight from your choice of saddle mean more than saving weight on your cranks because the cranks "sit low on the frame"?.
    I'm being a little sarcastic, but its a serious question. This seems like a BS claim - or at least one that seems to sidestep the OP's question.
    Has anyone weighed a 2011 Demo frame?
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo
    Since when does sitting "low" in the frame make a difference if your bike weighs a few pounds more than other frames? Is the next evolution talking about "where" your bike carries its weight? Does saving weight from your choice of saddle mean more than saving weight on your cranks because the cranks "sit low on the frame"?.
    I'm being a little sarcastic, but its a serious question. This seems like a BS claim - or at least one that seems to sidestep the OP's question.
    I can't tell if you're joking or not. Yes, where the weight sits 100% counts. ever hear of center of gravity? notice how every bicycle on the market tries to put the shock as close to the cranks as possible?

but seriously, weight is weight, and you cant let that extra 3/4 a pound slow you down. It will hold you back, for reals. just ask that guy who just won junior world champs...er, and the other guy, the one who won normal world champs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Since always

weight isnt just weight..

Take a heavy saddle on the end of a seatpost.. vs a light saddle.. you can feel the difference when you move it from side to side.. ofc this is on a much smaller scale on a moving bike but.. it still matters

on the bike, you want as much weight of the frame to go as low as possible for the purpose of better stability. at least for DH frames.

trail addict
    I am sure the guy who rides the 12 foot tall unicycle in the circus would tell you it is harder to ride than the 4 ft unicycle.... maybe an exaggeration, but think about how location of mass matters.

With that being said, I doubt the demo outweighs comparable frames by "a few pounds" (maybe it weighs more than the disposable 1-season frames, though). I also doubt the weight is so much lower that it makes much of a difference, but when you want to win world cup DHs, you put all the engineering in you can.

And talking about where a bike carries its weight is not the next evolution.... motocross and road racing have already been doing it for a loooong time.

To the OP-do not compare the demo to bikes made of ridiculously thin tubes. You are going to have a ridiculously nice bike. Anything much lighter will likely be getting on the fragile side from what I have heard.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    i didnt weight my frame but my large build came in at exactly 40lbs with a fox 40. This is about a 2-3 lb loss from my 2010, but the build was nowhere near the same so its kindof a mute comparison...but alas its lighter . and dood...its a demo. Go ahead and try to break it, if you can pull it off specialized rewards you by sending you a new frame free of charge!!!! Seriously though i put my 2010 through some ugly ass riding and it still takes a ticking. I actually have a video of me bending the bike frame by flating a drop, demo took it like a champ!
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    my 11' Demo 8 ll weighed 39 out of the box. Put a ligher seat and post, pedals and SX casing tires and its sitting right at 37.4
    i wanna go fast...

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Demo with a fox 40 with the heavy steel green spring, non ti sprung rear and it's right around 39 lbs. Your new Demo will probably come out lighter than that, but if you have a problem with a 39 pound dh bike and you're not a professional racer then you're pretty mental.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    I have a 2010 Demo with a fox 40 with the heavy steel green spring, non ti sprung rear and it's right around 39 lbs. Your new Demo will probably come out lighter than that, but if you have a problem with a 39 pound dh bike and you're not a professional racer then you're pretty mental.

You dont have to be a pro racer to appreciate a lighter bike !!! Its like saying you have to be Michael Schumacher to buy a Ferrari. Actually, pros dont pay for their bikes and its their jobs to ride them.Since I pay for my bike and its only a hobby for me, I'd like to get the highest fun factor out of it.

Im not gonna list the benefit of a lighter bike and yes 39 is decent but not light by any means. Im pretty sure ANYONE would notice the difference in weight between a 36 and say a 40 pounds bike...Demos arent the lightest and @ 39 pounds out of the box they are actually on the heavy side of the scale IMO, not that 39 is heavy but there's quite a few other bikes sitting @ 36-37 out of the box nowadays.

Still though, I would rock a 39 pounds bike any second if it was a great bike ... but Demos arent on my list of great bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    You dont have to be a pro racer to appreciate a lighter bike !!! Its like saying you have to be Michael Schumacher to buy a Ferrari.
    But you do have to be Michael Schumacher or another top level driver to push a Ferrari to the limits and notice the small performance issues that it may has.

I think the point he was trying to make is that a typical rider can't really pick out small differences whereas a pro is much more in tune with his bike and notice minute differences much more readily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    You dont have to be a pro racer to appreciate a lighter bike !!! Its like saying you have to be Michael Schumacher to buy a Ferrari. Actually, pros dont pay for their bikes and its their jobs to ride them.Since I pay for my bike and its only a hobby for me, I'd like to get the highest fun factor out of it.

Im not gonna list the benefit of a lighter bike and yes 39 is decent but not light by any means. Im pretty sure ANYONE would notice the difference in weight between a 36 and say a 40 pounds bike...Demos arent the lightest and @ 39 pounds out of the box they are actually on the heavy side of the scale IMO, not that 39 is heavy but there's quite a few other bikes sitting @ 36-37 out of the box nowadays.

Still though, I would rock a 39 pounds bike any second if it was a great bike ... but Demos arent on my list of great bikes

Look. If you are a professional racer, semi professional racer, or otherwise riding your bike against a clock with a goal to win something then absolutely make that bike as light as you can. If one pound equals 1 second on the clock then it matters. If you are a regular guy who likes to ride your dh bike at ski resorts and wherever you can shuttle and the only races you win are against your friends then 1 pound doesn't really matter as long as you have a bike that works for you. If you want to spend $400-1,000 to drop weight off your bike then go for it but it isn't going to be a crucial "I have to have it" situation. As far as saying that ANYONE noticind a 4 pound difference in a bike do you mean by anyone picking up the bike or anyone actually riding the bike?

In the end the parts spec that you put on the bike determines the weight. I could throw on a boxxer wc, a vivid air, carbon bar, carbon post, and run 7 inch rotors and the bike would easily be at 36 pounds with dh casing tires. I just happen to like my build better and run with the midset that by lightening the body and making your motor more powerful which is free vs. spending tons of money on lighter and less durable parts.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Guy from the UK, 35.28lbs, with coil shock

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have a couple questions:

1. Two bikes, with no other significant differences besides weight and CG height:
    Bike A is a 40 lb bike with a CG height of 19 inches.
    Bike B is a 39 lb bike with a CG height of 19.5 inches.
    Which would you take? Test rides not allowed, just pick based on CG height and weight.

2. If CG height is very important, will you notice a performance gain if I took all the stuff thats in my backpack and taped it onto my downtube on my trail bike? What if I put my two Hamms tall cans in a frame pack instead of in my jersey pockets?

3. Does wearing a hydration pack instead of using water bottles affect my bike handling?

4. What is it about 29ers that are making them popular? It seems that the rotational inertia of the wheels is going to have the exact opposite effect of "flickability". But lots of folks like them. Would those people like higher CGs, or is the rotational inertia lowering the total CG height of the bike? Time to go dust off some textbooks...

As I eluded to previously, I'm a bit of a skeptic, because the mass centralization movement in motorcycle design doesn't translate directly to mountain bikes for a few reasons. One is the ratio of rider to vehicle weight. On a motorcycle, its in the range of .35 to .5. On a mountain bike, the ratio is 4 to 5. This is a big difference, so just saying "its talked about in motorcycles" doesn't mean its good for bikes.
    Additionally, since most bikes will have wheels at the same height, the fork at the same height, the variants include the shock height, and a coil shock is about 2 pounds, or 5% of the total bike weight. Moving it up 5 inches results in a .3 inch change of CG height for example.
    The only time anyone seems to bring up "the weight is down low" on their bike is when their bike is heavier. If you don't mind that its heavier for any or all of the reasons listed in this thread then just be OK with it and stop trying to change the subject to "mass centralization" or CG height or anything like that.

I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong here - I'm not religious about my beliefs and maybe there's some aspects I'm not thinking of, but let's have an honest discourse, no need for flinging turds.
    here we go again

UNDEAD
    Some of the over-thought responses/questions in this thread are friggin HILARIOUS!

Bottom line, throw a leg over a 2011 Demo and all your negative ponders will just fly away.

Weight will be the LAST thing on your mind when ripping down the trail on this rig. Your biggest problem will then become how do I SLOW DOWN.
    2013 Specialized Enduro Expert
    Bronco D-handle square point Shovel

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by snow-man
    Some of the over-thought responses/questions in this thread are friggin HILARIOUS!

Bottom line, throw a leg over a 2011 Demo and all your negative ponders will just fly away.

Weight will be the LAST thing on your mind when ripping down the trail on this rig. Your biggest problem will then become how do I SLOW DOWN.
    Agreed!

mtbr member
    Demo Medium, W/o Shock.

www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

trail addict
    I have a couple questions:

1. Two bikes, with no other significant differences besides weight and CG height:
    Bike A is a 40 lb bike with a CG height of 19 inches.
    Bike B is a 39 lb bike with a CG height of 19.5 inches.
    Which would you take? Test rides not allowed, just pick based on CG height and weight

Silly question.

2. If CG height is very important, will you notice a performance gain if I took all the stuff thats in my backpack and taped it onto my downtube on my trail bike? What if I put my two Hamms tall cans in a frame pack instead of in my jersey pockets?

Weight on your body is dynamic, weight on the frame is dead weight, can't compare.

3. Does wearing a hydration pack instead of using water bottles affect my bike handling?

Some would say yes, more personal preference than anything.

4. What is it about 29ers that are making them popular? It seems that the rotational inertia of the wheels is going to have the exact opposite effect of "flickability". But lots of folks like them. Would those people like higher CGs, or is the rotational inertia lowering the total CG height of the bike? Time to go dust off some textbooks...

Supposedly the 29 excels at enough other stuff that people are willing to put up with the shortcomings. Some 29 frame design is specifically aimed at recovering some of the lost flickability.

As I eluded to previously, I'm a bit of a skeptic, because the mass centralization movement in motorcycle design doesn't translate directly to mountain bikes for a few reasons. One is the ratio of rider to vehicle weight. On a motorcycle, its in the range of .35 to .5. On a mountain bike, the ratio is 4 to 5. This is a big difference, so just saying "its talked about in motorcycles" doesn't mean its good for bikes.
    Additionally, since most bikes will have wheels at the same height, the fork at the same height, the variants include the shock height, and a coil shock is about 2 pounds, or 5% of the total bike weight. Moving it up 5 inches results in a .3 inch change of CG height for example.
    The only time anyone seems to bring up "the weight is down low" on their bike is when their bike is heavier. If you don't mind that its heavier for any or all of the reasons listed in this thread then just be OK with it and stop trying to change the subject to "mass centralization" or CG height or anything like that.

When designing a bike that is to be a legitimate contender to win World Cup races, an engineer would have to rather unwise to dismiss center of gravity just because it might only make a 1% difference rather than a 10% difference (percentages are purely fictitious). And forget the engineer, if Sam Hill says "I want the shock to be right about here", I would imagine everyone is working hard to make it happen, even if it is just a psychological advantage.

I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong here - I'm not religious about my beliefs and maybe there's some aspects I'm not thinking of, but let's have an honest discourse, no need for flinging turds.
    I see what you are getting at. If you want to be skeptical, then fine. It is very hard to quantify the difference it makes to "have the weight low". Every bit as hard as it is to quantify the difference in feel between a 38 lb bike and a 39 lb bike.

Design is a sum of its parts... you can not just look at one element (location of weight, amount of weight) and think that a single piece of data could tell the whole story. If someone likes the demo, then they like the whole bike, not just where the center of mass happens to be.

I doubt you could tell the difference between 2 identical DH builds, but one has a solid 1 lb lead slug somewhere in the seat tube-even in back-to-back riding.

But that is just e-speculation. You are really just better off riding a bike you like.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by snow-man

Why? Did they subtract weight by neglecting to install brakes?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    No sh1t. Means there are lots of places to take weight off.
    Sorry, I figured you were retarded. Turns out your just an a$$hole
    Last edited by SlickShoe671; 01-18-2011 at 10:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    norbar FTW.
    shut er' down boys
    here we go again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast