Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2011 Demo 8 and 2011 Fox 40's - rubber bumpers don't fit

The rubber bumpers that came with the forks are not large enough to reach the frame,
    so the Stopping point of the turn sweep is the metal at the bottom of the steering tube.

Is this ok ? or do you need the rubber bumpers to absorb some of the hit ?

bike rider
    Are you running a flush headset so the lower crown is hitting the downtube? If so this is bad. Imagine in a crash how much force would be there. Either find some bumpers for your fork legs or glue some to your frame so those are taking the impact. Also, when negotiating switchbacks or initiating a whip I like the progressive feel of a rubber bumper at the end of the steering limit. I think a hard stop would throw me off balance.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 02-04-2011 at 09:08 PM.
    Keep the Country country.

Stray Bullet
    The 2011 Demo 8 frames are supposed to come with special bumpers for Fox 40s. If your frame didn't have them in the box I would Specialized to get a set.

bike rider
    Cuz 888s and Boxxers have downward sloping crowns while 40s have straight crowns?

Stray Bullet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Cuz 888s and Boxxers have downward sloping crowns while 40s have straight crowns?
    Or Specialized made the Demo with a really fat low downtube?

mtbr member
    Area there other types of headsets that create a gap between the fork crown and the frame when the bike is turned to its limits.?

I have the special bumpers but they compress a little and then its the fork crown touching the downtube that really stops the turn

Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Are running a flush headset so the lower crown is hitting the downtube? If so this is bad. Imagine in a crash how much force would be there. Either find some bumpers for your fork legs or glue some to your frame so those are taking the impact. Also, when negotiating switchbacks or initiating a whip I like the progressive feel of a rubber bumper at the end of the steering limit. I think a hard stop would throw me off balance.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Risse Racing makes a replacement crown/steerer for the 40 with the bolts mounted in front; makes more room in back for down tube clearance.
    Last edited by whodaphuck; 01-07-2011 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Seriously, this seems to be an oversight by the big S. Lots of people are going to be running 40's on this frame and their special bumpers seem like a band aid. That little bit of contact rubber covering the crown will fully compress and cause damage to the frame in a good crash. Maybe the next generation of this frame will come with built in fork bumpers?

bike rider
    dub post

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 3034
    Area there other types of headsets that create a gap between the fork crown and the frame when the bike is turned to its limits?
    Flush headsets seem to be the norm this year in DH:

A headset with a standard, external lower bearing will raise & slack the front end and create more room between the crown and downtube:

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I don't see what everyone is worried about, the frame comes with fork bumpers for the 40 specifically to solve this issue.

mtbr member
    The Lower Crown hits the frame in spite of the special bumpers.
    The rubber compresses and then its metal on metal - Crown to Frame
    My bike has paint chips already without riding it, just turning it side to side.

The bike shop called specialized and they are coming out with huge bumpers but they will take 3 weeks to get here (from China)
    I dont like this solution, just creates a smaller turn sweep

My Bike shop found that Chris King makes a special lower Headset cup that creates an adjustable gap (5mm) between the frame and lower crown. (only $8)
    I will update the results here after it is installed later next week.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Just zip tie some cut up grips to to the stanchions

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    Just zip tie some cut up grips to to the stanchions

If you take a look at the RM link you'll see that grips on his to stanchions wont do sweet fack all.

Beside I'd be very upset If I had a brand spanking new frame and had to settle for the getthoest solution to avoid major dents on my bike...

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by 3034
    The Lower Crown hits the frame in spite of the special bumpers.
    The rubber compresses and then its metal on metal - Crown to Frame
    My bike has paint chips already without riding it, just turning it side to side.

The bike shop called specialized and they are coming out with huge bumpers but they will take 3 weeks to get here (from China)
    I dont like this solution, just creates a smaller turn sweep

My Bike shop found that Chris King makes a special lower Headset cup that creates an adjustable gap (5mm) between the frame and lower crown. (only $8)
    I will update the results here after it is installed later next week.
    You'll be decreasing your head angle with a larger lower cup, making it more slack. I'd check the price of the Risse ($150 for lower crown/steerer) fix against the CK fix before you pull that trigger. Their pinch bolts are in the front, so the back of the crown has a much slimmer profile where it hits the frame. I bought one for the same problem on a Turner Highline w/a 40 and gained about 1/4" clearance over the stock lower crown. It'll still compress the bumper enough to hit in a huge crash, but it's much better now. A bling bonus is that they have full triple clamp sets (if you want to spring for the $230 price) in blue, black or silver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    problem solved.

specialized makes them. they should come with your frame.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    If you take a look at the RM link you'll see that grips on his to stanchions wont do sweet fack all.

Beside I'd be very upset If I had a brand spanking new frame and had to settle for the getthoest solution to avoid major dents on my bike...
    I did look at that, and the ghetto solution will work. You cut it along the length, and make a condom out of it. I have seen it work on small frames and/or forks with missing rubber bumpers. For this problem you might need to use a grip with thick ends (MX style). Maybe you can make it cover the crown too by cutting it creatively Better than getting your stanchions and frame scratched up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Why can't I blame Fox for this issue? Their the ones using a goofy lower crown.....
    www.chainsmokeracing.com
    Elka Suspension
    Specialized Bikes
    Twenty6
    Schwalbe Tires
    Crank Brothers
    SixSixOne

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiedh
    Why can't I blame Fox for this issue? Their the ones using a goofy lower crown.....
    goofy compared to what..... why blame fox they have been using the same lower crown for years now, and the people are saying that new demo should of been made to work with all four of the major dual crown forks

Boomslang
    All Demo framesets come with a Fox bumper kit included. Be sure to ask your shop if they have the latest rubber compound with the kit. The first production frames came with poor rubber that doesn't last long.

The external headset option does not solve the problem.

Boomslang

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CSeymour10
    goofy compared to what..... why blame fox they have been using the same lower crown for years now, and the people are saying that new demo should of been made to work with all four of the major dual crown forks
    Sorry it's hard to express sarcasm over the intranetz
    www.chainsmokeracing.com
    Elka Suspension
    Specialized Bikes
    Twenty6
    Schwalbe Tires
    Crank Brothers
    SixSixOne

usually cranky
    spech is having some issue with this huh?

mtbr member
    Jakewake, If the new compound bumpers are harder can they still dent the downtube? I would assume so in a hard enough crash physics being what it is....
    I'm [SIZE="4"]GNARcissistic[/SIZE]

Boomslang
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude
    Jakewake, If the new compound bumpers are harder can they still dent the downtube? I would assume so in a hard enough crash physics being what it is....
    I have never seen a "dented" downtube if there is rubber in between.

JC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast