Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2010 Trek Scratch 7

Replaced my SX Trail with Trek's new Scratch. Awesome bike. Climbs well and handles freeride situations very well.

As delivered. Medium frame.

Took off the Fox 36R and mounted the Totem coil off of my Session 88 FR.

Fox DHX 4.0 with 450 lb. spring.

Adjustable geometry.

Airing it out.

*Update with full review*

Changes from stock. Redrilled the rims to accept Schraeder valves. I'm not a fan of Prestas, no offense to those who are. I replaced the Fox Van 36R with a Rock Shox Totem Coil. I replaced the handlebar with a 2" rise Answer ProTaper with Lizard Skin Peaty lock-ons. The stock Bontrager bar was a low rise version. I replaced the stock seatpost with a Crank Brothers Joplin unit because the stock one wouldn't tilt back far enough for my comfort and I love the on the fly adjustability. I have a 40mm Truvativ Holtzfeller stem to replace the 50mm Bontrager Rhythm unit. I replaced the stock Wellgo pedals with Bontrager Big Earls.

The bike pedals very efficiently for a 36/24, now 36/22 with the Saint cranks (front) and 11-34 (rear) gear combo. It climbs better than my old SX Trail. I don't usually climb though. The Mino link is set on the 66 degree head angle setting. I like to go downhill and this is where this bike really excels. I feel almost as confident on this bike as I do on my Session 88. The rear ABP suspension is very compliant and plush. I take it off 5-8 ft. drops routinely and it handles them fine. It jumps well and is very flickable, balanced, and nimble in the air. The Avid brakes provide all the stopping power needed once broken in. The chainguide keeps the chain where it needs to be. I never had any shifting issues yet. The all new 142mm rear hub makes wheel removal and installation a snap. Adapters are included if you prefer to use a standard 135mm rear hub. All-in-all I like this bike better than my old '06 SX Trail. I have no complaints about this bike so far.

1 problem after about a month of riding. The Raceface Ride cranks come loose every ride even with Loctite. Replacing them with Saint M810s.

*Saint cranks installed.* Scroll down for pic.
    Last edited by rat7761; 02-17-2010 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Very sick bike!
    How does it handle with the 180mm fork, feel taller or about the same?
    Also how does the downtube thickness sound, as in when you tap it does it sound really thin or has trek made the tubes of their bikes thicker?
    Reason i ask is because i am weighing up the decision to buy a 2010 trek scratch 9 frame and would like to know if the thickness if the frame will prevent it from getting dents and such (i like my bikes to last for a few years)
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    V V nice - no idea why those bikes dont come with a 180 fork to start with.

mtbr member
    Because Fox doesn't have one.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

clyde in training
    she's purdy

can I have your old fork?

Glad to Be Alive
    very nice.....congrats
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

maker of trail
    Big dog?

Love the bike!

mtbr member
    I have been looking at getting the Trek Scratch 7. Let us know how it rides.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi
    Yup, I hear the 36 was the preferred fork. You might want to try it out vs. the Totem.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride!! I need one to fill in the void between my Remedy (6") and my Session 88 (8")

DenverDH'er
    Sweet!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi
    I guess but Trek have rockshox on other bikes (session) so nothing would have stopped them specing it on the scratch.. although they are fox focussed for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    Very sick bike!
    How does it handle with the 180mm fork, feel taller or about the same?
    Also how does the downtube thickness sound, as in when you tap it does it sound really thin or has trek made the tubes of their bikes thicker?
    Reason i ask is because i am weighing up the decision to buy a 2010 trek scratch 9 frame and would like to know if the thickness if the frame will prevent it from getting dents and such (i like my bikes to last for a few years)
    Cheers!
    I like the 7" of travel in the front. Feels a tad taller and slacks the geometry a little more. Not sure about the downtube thickness. I don't know what the old Treks "sounded" like. Frame seems beefy. Just as beefy as my Session 88. The other thing that I'm going to change is add a DH riser bar. The stock bar only has about a 1" rise and the riding position is a little low in the front going down the steeps. It's just my personal preference though. It's very nimble and balanced in the air and handles drops well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Yup, I hear the 36 was the preferred fork. You might want to try it out vs. the Totem.
    I need a little more than 6.3" of travel for the stuff I ride and the fork that came with the bike is a Fox 36R. No compression adjustment. Just preload and rebound. Nice fork though. Selling it to a friend of mine.

mtbr member
    That looks really good!
    Those RF Ride Cranks look really good.
    Im wondering how the Big Earl wheelsets going to hold up?

mtbr member
    Regarding those Earl wheels; dollar for dollar, best wheelset IMO. I have raced all season on on pair with no issues. Never trued them either. East coast rocks and roots riding on schwalbes with pressures in the low 20's. Liked them so much, bought a set of King Earls for my shorter travel fr bike. Been using earl rims on my urban jibbing bike for 3 years, no dents or dings, just a very infrequent true do to rider error on landings Great rims, great wheelsets!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by rat7761
    No compression adjustment.
    Yeah, that's no good.

I'm kinda frustrated with the Mission Control on my Lyric though, there's not a ton of low speed compression even with it set at max. It's ok at speed, but not as good as it could be on steeps and rollers. It's going to need moar shimz... and it was my Fox 40 that demonstrated just how bad my Lyric is in comparison.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Nice.

mtbr member

Aired it out today.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How tall are you and what size did you go with?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Very nice, love that ****

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyDuffus@comcast.net
    How tall are you and what size did you go with?
    I'm about 5'7". The frame is a medium. Fits me well but I put on a ProTaper with a 2" rise to make it more comfortable for me. I felt like I was reaching too much going down the steeps.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sweet, thanks for the feed back

mtbr member
    Nice bike, I like the colour scheme..
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    wow you like your geometry very different then mine. Put a fork thats got an extra 30-40mm A2C height, plus higher rise bars. Super high front end it sounds like.

But glad you're enjoying it, sounds sick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast