mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2010 Redbull Rampage

http://www.redbullusa.com/rampage

If you watch the videos on there of their runs it's clear Cameron Zink had the biggest trick overall. However that's about all he did in his run. I think Gee Atherton and Darren Berrecloth had much better more complete runs over all and one of them should have won it not Cameron Zink. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Zink definitely had the best trick, a few riders like Claw, Goldman, Gully had the runs that were true to the "new format" They took tricks to the natural lines and threw down tons of style. Gee had a race run down the hill and hit a gnarly line that no one else stuck, but in my mind it was a race run. Not trying to take anything away from his run or line, but this was a freeride event, tricks and style matter.

Being there, feeling the energy and seeing things in person can change how things are judged. All of the judges walked the lines that all of the riders built/rode. They knew what they were looking at far more than we do having watched online. I do not envy the job the judges had. Its a tough job and I personally think they did pretty well. Its easy to look back and say hey, they screwed up or, looking at this and this and this in super slow mo, shows that so and so won. Its a judged event, not a timed event, so personal feelings, perspectives, and opinions come into play
    Transition, Shimano, DT Swiss, deity, Maxxis, Dakine, Demon Dirt, MRP, Oakley, VP, Honey Stinger, Grassroots Cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I see what you're saying especially about Gee but I think Claw deserved it more than Zink. I think Zink definately deserved best trick but one trick off a man made obstacle shouldn't have taken the win in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing all the runs on the dvd when it comes out. I bet it was awesome to be there in person

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    its about progression and going the biggest. What zink did was the hugest gnarliest thing that anybody did, and he did it after biffing it the first try. What zink did was absolute insanity. Not taking anything away from anybody else, because there were plenty of other runs that were rad, but zink deserved that win.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cns4lXV9odA

How could you not win with a run like that.. wait, oh yeah, 360 off that monster

Where are the judges set up, video booth watching all the feeds?

mtbr member

THIS was the BEST TRICK...

Since when is a 360 a better trick than a back flip? This is a back flip off of a 25 foot cliff to a tight, technical, fairly flat landing...done with pinpoint precision! In my humble opinion, this is a FAR better trick than Cameron Zink's 360 off a 30 foot drop. In fact, after having been on location for dozens of shoots for extreme mountain bike movies, and all six Rampages, I would have to say that this was the BEST TRICK I'VE EVER SEEN!!! Unfortunately, the judges were nearly a quarter of a mile up the ridge from this, and didn't get to see it from my angle...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 Redbull Rampage-flip-drop.jpg  

If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Doc
    Since when is a 360 a better trick than a back flip? This is a back flip off of a 25 foot cliff to a tight, technical, fairly flat landing...done with pinpoint precision! In my humble opinion, this is a FAR better trick than Cameron Zink's 360 off a 30 foot drop. In fact, after having been on location for dozens of shoots for extreme mountain bike movies, and all six Rampages, I would have to say that this was the BEST TRICK I'VE EVER SEEN!!! Unfortunately, the judges were nearly a quarter of a mile up the ridge from this, and didn't get to see it from my angle...
    Thats why this is such a tough call as well. Flipping a DH bike on a stepdown is scary as hell, Ive done it. Watts did crash on that run and that may have had an affect on his score and the view of that flip, and also the location like you said. As far as 3's versus flips, the present view among judges and riders on the pro circuit, 3's are more difficult and typically have more style. Its a tough call all around.
    Transition, Shimano, DT Swiss, deity, Maxxis, Dakine, Demon Dirt, MRP, Oakley, VP, Honey Stinger, Grassroots Cycles

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Doc
    That was an awesome trick, why didn't watts take his second run?

i guess the judges didn't have a good view on that trick, but you must not have had a good view on zinks 360. It was a 50 foot drop, and he traveled 50 feet out. It set the record for biggest 360 off a drop ever. Zinks 3 was huge and i think he should have won. I do however think gee may have been scored a bit higher than most because he threw down a great run that early on. The only big thing he did was the jump to wallride, which was great, but not 82 points great. Bearclaw definately had a better run IMO, but its over i cant really argue with how it ended. I'm happy with it.

mtbr member

I didn't know that...

I didn't know that 360's were considered harder than backflips. I can do a 360 on my feet, but would never even consider trying a back flip, and I just figured that it would be the same relationship between doing the same two tricks on a bike. (I'll probably never try either on a bike...)
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    A backflip is a harder trick to do than a 360 but a flip is a more natural rotation than a spin. However backflips present blind spots, more timing, precise rotation, and more follow though. They are alot more dangerous and tougher to land as well. I have done flips on my bmx bikes for years but have yet to try one on my mountain bike and I could not fathom how hard it would be to do on a dh/fr bike. Regardless I do not think Zink should have won the entire contest. Best trick maybe but not the whole contest.

mtbr member
    Food for thought about judging Rampage...
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/rampage-judging-2010.html

Runs are judged on 4 criteria:

- Line difficulty
    - Fluidity
    - Style/technique
    - Air/amplitude

Each rider judged out of 25

The five judges are Chris Lawrence, Scott Hart, Aaron Chase, Randy Spangler and Paul Rak.

Head judge Chris Lawrence: "Judges compare notes to determine a rider's line score after each run. Then judges decide individually on the remaining 3 categories. A crash means an automatic fail in the fluidity category (you can't crash and win), Semenuk won last time with a low line score, but killed it in everything else. Some guys like Atherton are railing fast, but style points are low because they don't have sick tricks. You need to put together an all around visually stunning run. Overall impression is paramount."

mtbr member
    I'm no Rampage expert; but, 1st or 3rd... Berrecloth's line looked like the most technical line I've ever seen in Red Bull videos. Huge natural drops etc.

I don't think that most would dispute the fact that Zink's monster 360 was the best trick of the competition; however, Berrecloth nailed the hardest, most technical and natural line of the competition. 1st or 3rd? ...maybe almost falling off the bike on the first drop hurt his fluidity score. I'm old and have an old school mindset - therefore Berrecloth's natural and true to Rampage roots run was my favorite to watch.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by simcik
    Gee had a race run down the hill and hit a gnarly line that no one else stuck, but in my mind it was a race run. Not trying to take anything away from his run or line, but this was a freeride event, tricks and style matter.

Its a judged event, not a timed event, so personal feelings, perspectives, and opinions come into play
    I wouldn't call that a race run, he spent alot of time getting air on that narrow ridge at the begining of his run, If it was a race he would have stuck to the ground more. Also, you don't see huge drops like he took on race runs. No it's not a timed event, but that's Gee's style of ridding fast and confident. He had a very smooth run taking a very technical, knarly line, and caught alot of air to boot. I think he deserved the score he recieved
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Now with More Wood
    Yeah this was really a tough call. I think 1, 2, and 3 are the right riders...the order is harder to pick though. There is something to be said about each riders line and performance...

I was personally more impressed with the Claw's overall line, and super stoked to see him pull it off after investing 2 years in it. And Gee's run was just crazy big and fluid...and the last gap to wallride was well worthy of entering the Rampage legend.
    And then you have to admire that Zink 3 off the sender...by far and away the best trick, no doubt. I think it's hard not to give him the overall after seeing that, especially since it was on the 2nd run after binning it first time around, but honestly, his run can't have scored very well on fluidity. The rest of it wasn't spectacular, and even looked a bit shaky after that 3...(who wouldn't...).

At the end of it, I wouldn't have been unhappy with Claw in 1st, Gee in second, and Zink 3rd with best trick. But, not unhappy with how it stands now either. It was a really good show to watch, I hope I'll be able to make it out there one year in person.

mtbr member
    just like in football...i always vote for the guy with the coolest jersey

FReak
    Too bad Sam Hill wasn't in it I would have liked to see that
    2010 Specialized Demo 8 II (Upgraded to II from I)
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

Airborne Flight Crew
    Not sure if I've seen all of Cam's run... that 3 was legendary no doubt, but I'll have to look an see if I can view the rest of his run.

Gee's was blazing fast - which goes with style/technique as well as fluidity, cool to see somebody rail the terrain like that. I think he has a most unique take on that place, and deserved his result.

I agree with the old school appreciation of Claw's line, and admit it was also my favorite to watch - however, there was a pretty long section of just pedaling the ridge for while there, and I imagine that hurt the fluidity score... heh, but the what the hell do I know? I would not want to be a judge for that contest, immensely difficult - they did a great job. Can't wait for the next one...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website