mtbr member
    Jul 2007

2010 Boxxer Worldcup rebound knob keeps coming loose

Hey everyone, last time I was up in Whistler I had a little problem with my rebound knob on the bottom of my Boxxer Worldcup. The whole assembly kept coming loose, to the point where I was really worried about the whole thing falling off. I finally just took it off and rode with it in my pocket the rest of the day.

There are 2 dials / adjusters that sit mostly flush with the bottom of the fork leg, and then thereís a rod that slides up through the washer-like adjusters into the bottom of the fork leg. Itís a snug fit, but the pressure alone doesnít appear to be enough to hold everything together while riding. Thereís a little c-clip, but that doesnít seem like itís holding it together either. Maybe Iím doing it wrong?

2 questions: 1- is it safe to ride with the rebound adjust off. I think it is but wanted to check with the collective. 2. Am I missing a part that holds everything together tight? Am I not putting it together correctly? I have some pictures on my phone I can add later when I get a chance, if that helps. Thanks!

Huffy Rider
    Are you talking about the 2.5mm hex key with the red knob on it? If so, I always remove those when riding and carry them in my pack. Less stuff to hang down and get caught on rocks.

mtbr member
    This is not uncommon with the 2010 WC.
    If the rebound knobs are rattling and loose, odds are that you are missing the tiny c clip that sits on top of the rebound assembly inside the fork leg.
    There are two c clips-one that you can see on the bottom of the low speed rebound dial that is external, and a tiny c clip that sits on top of the rebound assembly inside the fork leg( just a few mm in diameter) that serves to keep the rebound knobs compressed in place.
    If you don't see a tiny c clip on the shaft of the rebound dials assembly when you remove it, you'll know you are missing it.
    Flip the fork upside down and completely remove the rebounds assembly/foot nut.
    You'll see the small groove at the base of the shaft where a c clip should go.
    Easy fix usually-takes about 5 minutes and you can find the tiny c clips at auto parts and hobby stores.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've got the same issue with my 2010 Boxxer Team. The washer that goes between the beginning and ending rebound control knobs somehow fell off. I think it was made of nylon if I remember right? It was definitely on there when I replaced the seals. Anyways, The knobs are still hanging on by the C clip, there's just play within the knobs now. I've been meaning to get to a hardware store to look for a similar washer figuring that would take care of the problem.

mtbr member
    Here's how to tell if it's just the missing washer or the c clip:
    Pull down on the low speed rebound adjuster.
    If it moves 1/4" or more, the c clip on the upper portion of the adjuster shaft is missing or has slipped out of it's groove.