The Other Dude

2010 Boxxer Maxle & Hope Pro II Hub....Any issues?

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues running the 20mm Hope Pro II front hub with the 2010 Boxxers?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Meh.
    The Pro II hub cannot take the forces exerted on it when run with a 178mm travel Boxxer.

mtbr member
    That is what I have been running all season. Did have a guy that washes his bike constantly have his corrode pretty bad and it was pretty hard to get the axle out. As long as you take your wheel off and lightly grease the axle every little while you will be fine.

Will, you are a funny guy!

Its got what plants crave
    I run a Hope Pro II with a Rockshox Domain.. no problems. Why would there be problems?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Meh.
    There have been some instances where part of the hub or bearing seized onto the axle. Or the machining tolerances were off enough to have a slight wobble or be very hard to insert/remove the axle. More the first... As mentioned, a light film of grease or anti-seize will do the trick.

Now with More Wood
    No problems here with that set-up, couple of months down the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    There have been some instances where part of the hub or bearing seized onto the axle. Or the machining tolerances were off enough to have a slight wobble or be very hard to insert/remove the axle. More the first... As mentioned, a light film of grease or anti-seize will do the trick.
    Totally agreed!
    This is because there isn't a through axle in this hub. The axle of this hub is designed into 3 pcs, one between the bearings, and two are the side caps. The steel bearing directly contacts the axle of the fork. It can get rusted if you wash your bike with a lot of water, or ride in the rain for some time. So after doing that, you better take the wheel off, dry the inside of the hub, as well as the axle of the fork, grease a little bit to prevent rusting.
    Ride fast, yet ride smart!

mtbr member
    i got boxxer 10 and hope pro2 no problem.

ride.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by foxracing
    Totally agreed!
    This is because there isn't a through axle in this hub. The axle of this hub is designed into 3 pcs, one between the bearings, and two are the side caps. The steel bearing directly contacts the axle of the fork. It can get rusted if you wash your bike with a lot of water, or ride in the rain for some time. So after doing that, you better take the wheel off, dry the inside of the hub, as well as the axle of the fork, grease a little bit to prevent rusting.

I have never done that ever and haven't had any problems.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    '09 boxxer/pro 2 hub. no probs whatsoever. builds a nice, lite wheel if done right. not sure where the size of the fork matters here. its a solid hub. as for the rust comment, thats true of any combo of parts if not cared for and has nuthin to do with any alloy axle or hub end cap as alloy doesnt rust. the steel in the bearing, however, is a diff story. and yes, grease or ti prep can help cure this issue in any hub.

additionally, hope hubs are not adjustable so end caps can become "loose". thats why they cost so much less than a king or many other super high end hubs. doesnt make it a shytty product, just not as refined... hence the cost. decide what ya need compared to whats in the budget and go from there.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My Boxxer Team 2010 axle is seized in my Pro 2 hub on 1 side. When i unscrew, it unthreads on the threaded side as it should but doesn't come out the other meaning it pushes the other side out. It has been sat for about a month or so without use, hopefully i'll get it out tomorrow and from now on i'll be loosening it after every ride and regreasing.

Never had this problem with any oter combination of fork and hub

MC MasterShake
    I've been running a 180mm Totem and Hope II hub for about a season and a half. Everything from XC to FR/DH and in all sorts of weather. I have had an issue trying to get the axle out one time but I was able to get it out with a little muscle and finesse. Other than no problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've been running that set-up since early June - 4 dh races and many trips to N*
    no issues at all.