Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    103

    2006 Marz 66rc or 05 Manitou sherman flick plus

    Hello all. I currently have the 05 sherman flick plus on my 05 Versus blitz and have the oppertunity to trade even up for an '05 Marzocchi 66rc. Would that be a smart trade? Most of my riding is freeriding/some chairlift runs and occasional aggressive XC. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by chibow; 01-22-2007 at 08:08 PM.

  2. #2
    clyde in training
    Reputation: 08nwsula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,918
    I would make the trade if I got the opportunity

  3. #3
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    You just need to weigh...literally...how much you want to compromise between aggressive XC and your FR needs. The Flick Plus is probably a better trail fork. At 6" it's probably the better trail fork due to its weight. The 66 is definitely the better FR fork, but it's darned heavy.

    Overall on a Blitz, I think I'd go with the 66 in an even trade. The 66 is a far more valuable fork economically. The Blitz is a good bike but probably not as great as an XC trail bike. I'd leave the Blitz equipped with the 66 and look for a used trail bike of some kind.

    Make the trade. You can find a used Flick Plus for a fraction of what you can find a good used 66RC.

  4. #4
    TERVOR THE GREAT
    Reputation: DelTaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    548
    Absolutely. The 66 is a magnificent fork. I have an 06 rc2x and it is by far the best fork I've ever ridden, barring maybe the totem.
    [SIZE="4"] I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.[/SIZE]

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    You just need to weigh...literally...how much you want to compromise between aggressive XC and your FR needs. The Flick Plus is probably a better trail fork. At 6" it's probably the better trail fork due to its weight. The 66 is definitely the better FR fork, but it's darned heavy.

    Overall on a Blitz, I think I'd go with the 66 in an even trade. The 66 is a far more valuable fork economically. The Blitz is a good bike but probably not as great as an XC trail bike. I'd leave the Blitz equipped with the 66 and look for a used trail bike of some kind.

    Make the trade. You can find a used Flick Plus for a fraction of what you can find a good used 66RC.
    I have the trail bike covered. I have an 02 RM slayer that is my agressive XC rider (just need a fork to finish building her back up). What how much heavier is the 66 then the flick??? And what do you think a good condition used 05 66 would run?

  6. #6
    TERVOR THE GREAT
    Reputation: DelTaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by chibow
    I have the trail bike covered. I have an 02 RM slayer that is my agressive XC rider (just need a fork to finish building her back up). What how much heavier is the 66 then the flick??? And what do you think a good condition used 05 66 would run?
    Found a 170mm new 2006 66VF2 for $375

    They ride 10mm lower than the 06 150mm version by the way, so the height is good.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/222213/
    [SIZE="4"] I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.[/SIZE]

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,651
    Quote Originally Posted by chibow
    Hello all. I currently have the 05 sherman flick plus on my 05 Versus blitz and have the oppertunity to trade even up for an '05 Marzocchi 66rc. Would that be a smart trade? Most of my riding is freeriding/some chairlift runs and occasional aggressive XC. What do you guys think?
    Oh an '05 RC, that's a tall fork (595mm a-c)

  8. #8
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by chibow
    Hello all. I currently have the 05 sherman flick plus on my 05 Versus blitz and have the oppertunity to trade even up for an '05 Marzocchi 66rc. Would that be a smart trade? Most of my riding is freeriding/some chairlift runs and occasional aggressive XC. What do you guys think?
    I'd rather stick with the Flick for the lighter weight and lower front end. Then again, you could make the trade, then sell it and buy a Travis 150 which blows both away!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Hmmm, this is for an '05 66?

    If I were you, I'd go with the '07 66RC ETA - SO good! and the eta makes climbing to the top a breeze...

  10. #10
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,000
    2006 66 i would have already traded it for the flick.....not much weight difference there too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  11. #11
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    TPC+ is tons better dampening than marzocchi's SSVF. the flick is a superior fork to the 66VF in my opinion. only thing that the SSVF has going for it is the 35mm stauntions really.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtails Are Better's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,298
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    TPC+ is tons better dampening than marzocchi's SSVF. the flick is a superior fork to the 66VF in my opinion. only thing that the SSVF has going for it is the 35mm stauntions really.
    He's talking about an RC, not a VF.





    Make the trade. The 66 blows the Sherman away as a freeride fork, and you've got a trail bike. There's no reason to keep the Sherman.

  13. #13
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    He's talking about an RC, not a VF.
    Make the trade. The 66 blows the Sherman away as a freeride fork, and you've got a trail bike. There's no reason to keep the Sherman.
    I was commenting on the idea of a 06 VF2. he might want to seriously check it out first.


    see if your bike will be able to handle the fork. 05's are super tall. the 150mm RC rides like a 170mm fork. the 170mm rode like a 200mm. take that into consideration. its not a problem with strength, the blitz is a super beefy frame. but it might funk with your geo.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  14. #14
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    '05 and '06 models?

    Quote Originally Posted by chibow
    I have the trail bike covered. I have an 02 RM slayer that is my agressive XC rider (just need a fork to finish building her back up). What how much heavier is the 66 then the flick??? And what do you think a good condition used 05 66 would run?
    I can't remember for sure, but aren't the '05 66's the ones that were crazy tall for their 6" travel. And the 66VF model doesn't have very good damping like the RC models. I'd estimate that an '06 66RC weighs about a pound heavier than the 6" Flick Plus. Get the '06 66RC you were considering in the first place...sounds like the best for what you describe.

  15. #15
    yaha ha
    Reputation: snowforner15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    586
    defiantly do the trade

    but is therea large weight difference between the 05 rc and 06 rc2x? both 170mm?? i know the ride height is way diff

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtails Are Better's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,298
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I can't remember for sure, but aren't the '05 66's the ones that were crazy tall for their 6" travel. And the 66VF model doesn't have very good damping like the RC models. I'd estimate that an '06 66RC weighs about a pound heavier than the 6" Flick Plus. Get the '06 66RC you were considering in the first place...sounds like the best for what you describe.
    Yeah, the '05s are really tall. 60 mm taller than the 36, and 10mm more travel. The Blitz should have no problem though, especially if it's the 150mm version. The 170 might be pushing things. I forget, can the 170mm 66 be reduced to 150?

    Anyway, the RC is a good move. The VF kind of came out of nowhere when todd_freeride brought it up.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtails Are Better's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,298
    Quote Originally Posted by snowforner15
    defiantly do the trade

    but is therea large weight difference between the 05 rc and 06 rc2x? both 170mm?? i know the ride height is way diff
    I think weight isn't too different. The '05 RC came in both 150 and 170mm versions. The RC2X is a bit more adjustable, and a butt load lower.

  18. #18
    Me hates pinchflat
    Reputation: 545cu4ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by snowforner15
    defiantly do the trade

    but is therea large weight difference between the 05 rc and 06 rc2x? both 170mm?? i know the ride height is way diff
    The 06 is 30mm lower than the 05. The only disadvantage of that is that the flat crowns they used to do that sometimes hit the downtube of some bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

  19. #19
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    From an economic standpoint, I'd say do it. The 66rc is worth more money. It is crazy tall, but nothing that a Blitz can't handle. If you decide that you don't like it, ebay it and buy another Sherman.

    If your Sherman is an SPV fork, they tend to be notchy. They pedal great, but not very good for freeride. You can make it feel a lot more like TPC by doing a "devolve."

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    51
    The -05 66rc is internally rebuildable between 150 and 170mm by moving some spacers, the -06 rc2x is not.

    The 150mm -05 has the same height as the 170mm -06.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    103
    Well I ended up just keeping the Flick. It doesnt have SPV and it rally is a smooth fork. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of buy/selling/rebuying and really I didnt want my bike to ride any higher then it already does. Thanks for all your help guys! Now if I foudn an 06 66...lol

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    353
    good choice

    for ref:
    05 66 ac is 595mm w/ 170mm of travel, 575mm at 150mm of travel
    06 66 ac is 555mm w/ 170mm
    07 66 ac is 565mm w/ 180mm
    888 w/ flat crowns 575mm with 200mm of travel

  23. #23
    ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    Reputation: brian_404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    245
    this is a no brainier... if you have the same steer tube size, and length, and the same travel that your bike is designed for... why not get the 66rc? you want go back... i have 05 66vf's, and LOVE them... half the people don't know how to fine tune them anyways... i like simple and clean... i rather spend my time riding, than tuning... once you get them dialed in though, you should be good to go...
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

  24. #24
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_404
    this is a no brainier... if you have the same steer tube size, and length, and the same travel that your bike is designed for... why not get the 66rc? you want go back... i have 05 66vf's, and LOVE them... half the people don't know how to fine tune them anyways... i like simple and clean... i rather spend my time riding, than tuning... once you get them dialed in though, you should be good to go...
    if you were to get a 170mm 66 VF or RC for a bike designed for 150-170mm of travel, you's rake the bike the hell out.

    05 Marzocchi 6 series and 8 series.
    150mm RC/VF = 170mm
    170mm RC/VF= 200mm
    200mm RC/VF = 230mm

    the 05's were insanely tall. the axle to crown is huge. for reference. I had broken my 66VF, got it repaired, then traded it for a 05 shiver DC with 190mm of travel. now my bike is less raked out

    my suggestion, stay far away from the 05 6 and 8 series. they're just too tall for most bikes.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  25. #25
    ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    Reputation: brian_404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    245
    hmmm. i replaced my 04 dj2's that came stock with my bighit comp with the 05 66vf's 150mm. they both are 150mm... i'm not sure were the 170mm is coming from. my bighit comp came with single crown 04 dj2 150mm. i checked before getting the 66vf's. they both are 150mm... the rake on my bike is the same but my bike is much lighter... the 04 dj2's weighed a TON... the travel doesn't matter. as long as the bike is designed for it. if you put 150mm on a bike that is only designed for an 80mm fork. you screw up the steering, etc... and some bikes can't handle a dual crown fork. you get steerer tube cracking and breakage... it's like that article i read about turning an xc bike into a dh bike... i thought that was the funniest thing i ever read...
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •