mtbr member
    Jul 2008

2006 jamis diablo 1.0

hey hows it goin

i been lookin at this bike and it seems pretty good i whant to know what you guys think about it

mtbr member
    Decent bike for the money. Kind of tough to answer what you want though. What specifically did you want to know?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    if its a good strong bike that can take beating and not break

im not a hucker or any thing that big

the bigis dropp at the max is like 12 ft

and just what to know if any one ownes it and ther feed back on it

mtbr member
    Yeah its a pretty burly bike. It can take any drops that I can. I don't think it or I could handle a 12 ft drop to flat though...

I own it and am very happy with it. the stock fork (manitou stance flow) needs some work to perform well

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    well thanks bro i apreciate it

not to flat

do you currently have it and what upgrades have you done on it so far

mtbr member
    Yeah I still have it. I am just getting into lift assisted DH and use it for that.

I rebuilt the stock fork and converted it to semi bath. Then last week I won a marzocchi Z1 fork one bay for a great price and installed that. Thats temporary until I figure out how long of a fork it can safely take. I'd like to go up to at least 160mm and even 180mm if it can be done safely

I upgraded the tires to 2.5 front with 2.35 rear nevegals. I added a medium cage LX rear derailer in place of the deore long cage.

I upgraded the brakes to Juicy 5's 203mm in the front and 160mm in the rear.

Other than that its been a decent bike. i've done some big drops, used it as my "all-mountain" bike, taken it to moab, and now its my DH bike. I have no complaints. It seems to have simliar geometry to the transition vagrant everyone here loves. Only you can get it for much much less money.

The only issue I will mention is that the frame doesn't have a lot of clearance in the rear. The largest tire I can safely fit is a 2.35 nevegal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    that sounds really cool man

well thanks and good luck with the dh

sympathy for society

06' Jamis Diablo 2.0

Hey man,
    I have the 06' Diablo 2.0. There is nothing different in the frame of the 1.0 & 2.0 other than the color. The components make up the big difference between the two. That being said, I purchased just the 2.0 frame from Jenson a while back. It took me a while but I finially came up with a damn solid bike. I love this thing! It handles everything I have given it and then some. From lift assisted, hike-a-bike, DJ's (a little hard), to XC-ing. The bike has 7" of travel, and with the Revox it is pretty smooth. In my opinion it is a damn good deal to get the 1.0 for what it is going for.

A few things to look into before buying. The headtube is 1.5, bottom bracket width is 83mm, and the rear wheel spacing is 150mm. These are big concerns when it comes time to upgrade. The parts seems to be either more expensive or harder to find.

Here are two pics of the bike in two different modes. The second one is a previous look for her. It has the front derailure, LX rear der, and a Ti spring. The first one is how she sits now with the following:

07' 888 RC2X VA
    07' Manitou Revox w/ steel spring
    Azonic B-52 Bars
    Hayes 9 brakes
    SRAM X-9 rear Der. w/ X-9 shifter
    Saint cranks w/ E-13 DH ring and Wellgo B-52 pedals
    E-13 STS chainguide
    Azonic Outlaws
    Maxxis Minions 2.7 F/R

Let me know if you have any questions.
    -Sodak
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Wow i just realized what I dumba$$ i am. I got confused for some of the posts and started talking about my jamis KOMODO. damn beer.

Actually i do have the diablo too. Great bike for the money. A bit heavy for the 175mm of travel but overall still an incredible bargin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    sodak06

i really appreciatie it man and i have a question how much could you say you've invested in it and is it trully worth it

and how long have you had it for?

mtbr member
    My buddy has broken two of those frames. Granted, he is 6'4" and 220 lbs. but for a DH bike, it isn't that burly.

No BS. He broke two in the same spot! They (Jamis) finally upgraded him the new DH frame after a long, bitter fight.

Needless to say it is his last Jamis bike.

Now remember, you are going to hear the horror stories more than the praises usually. So remember that. I am sure some people are truly happy with their bikes from them. I just don't know anyone.

I ride with him a lot, so all I hear is the bad.
    Last edited by Bobby Peru; 07-18-2008 at 03:20 PM.
    "Well I don't drink as much as I ought to."

~Jerry Jeff Walker~

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    damn that suck and now im havin to reconcider because im 6ft1 and 210 pounds

thanks man

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metal0136
    damn that suck and now im havin to reconcider because im 6ft1 and 210 pounds

thanks man

I am 6'2' 200 and never had any trouble with it.

I also find it hard to believe that Jamis fought him about getting a replacement under warrenty. They have a repubtation for giving no hassle warrenty replacement when frames break. I certainly don't think you should worry.

Only negative I can say is that for a 175mm rear travel frame, its a bit heavy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    aw ok but is that buying it straight from jamis or what

thanks

mtbr member
    It shouldn't matter where you buy it as long as its new. I think the warrenty only covers the original owner. The only bad thing is warrenty replacements seem to be pretty slow. Not because they fight you about it, they just seem to really take their time on everything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    aw, ok man i apreciate it

you have any pics of your bike you can post up

sympathy for society
    Quote Originally Posted by metal0136
    sodak06

i really appreciatie it man and i have a question how much could you say you've invested in it and is it trully worth it

and how long have you had it for?

Hmm.... total cost?? Well I just sat here and threw some rough numbres together and I came up with roughly $2,500-ish. I got some pretty good deals on a few of the parts, all new too! I have made quite a few changes to the bike as I built it up. My origional plan was to buy the frame and swap all my parts off my old FS bike. Well, due to me making a hasty purchase without research, most of my expensive parts would not fit the new frame. 1.5 headtube, 83mm BB shell, and 150mm rear spacing were the main ones. So, I started buying new parts as I could afford them, and this is what I have come up with.

I am sure there are people that have had horror stories with this frame, ass well as almost every frame out there. You got to take the negative reviews with a grain of salt on these forums. Even the positive one too, lots of brand-whores out there.

I have had the bike for just about two years now. Never had a problem with the frame. I just tore it apart last week for the first time. All the pivots and bearings were still smooth and buttery. For the price of this bike, it is definately worth it. especially if your budget is similar to mine.

The one thing that I could bytch about on this frame is the paint. My god it sucks! The slightest little scratch or nick and the paint just chips away. It is not that big of a deal, but it becomes a pain in the azz when you are tightening bolts and the paint flakes away from the area. I might have gotten a bad batch, but jeez. I would love to upgrade to a bigger/better frame eventually, but for now, the Diablo jams. I just need some new brakes for her, not really diggin the Hayes 9's.

I could only hope I break the frame too! I would love to try one of the new DH frames. I think it is the BAM or something like that! Looks schweet!
    -Sodak
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

sympathy for society
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Peru
    My buddy has broken two of those frames. Granted, he is 6'4" and 220 lbs. but for a DH bike, it isn't that burly.

No BS. He broke two in the same spot! They (Jamis) finally upgraded him the new DH frame after a long, bitter fight.

Needless to say it is his last Jamis bike.

Now remember, you are going to hear the horror stories more than the praises usually. So remember that. I am sure some people are truly happy with there bikes from them. I just don't know anyone.

I ride with him a lot, so all I hear is the bad.
    That is crazy to hear! twice? Can you tell me where it broke, so I could keep an eye on that area? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    yea thanks man

really if anyone can tell us the exact point were it breacks it would be use full

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    That is crazy to hear! twice? Can you tell me where it broke, so I could keep an eye on that area? Thanks
    Same place two times. Right near the bottom bracket. I am not lying. Why would I? He finally got the new frame, however it took a LOOOOOOONG time from Jamis and he had to pay the difference b/c the new frame cost more.

Like I said before, you will hear all the horror stories usually here on the internet. I am sure a lot of people are happy with their Jamis bikes. The two guys that I know that have them regret buying them.

Remember though, they are both big guys and ride hard. Many DH runs and bike parks (NorthStar) are abused with these bikes.

I've had three DH bikes. An Iron Horse SGS, a Santa Cruz Bullit and now I have an Intense Socom. I have never broken a frame and I have been very happy with all of my bikes.

I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me. I'm sure that many people have broken each one of those frames.

Like I said, you tend to hear the horror stories, not the praises on these forums.
    "Well I don't drink as much as I ought to."

~Jerry Jeff Walker~