mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 2006 Fox 40 RC2 vs. 2006 Boxxer WC vs. 2006 888RC2

Would you prefer a 2006 Fox 40 RC2 or a 2006 Boxxer WC for DH/FREERIDE? What about the 888 RC2?
    I am 100 Pounds, 14 1/2 years old growing....
    With price and preformance in mind... which would you go with?
    P.S
    For those who rode either one.... how do they feel?
    For those who rode both.... Can you compare? Does one totally dominate the other?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dnovick104; 04-21-2006 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    marzocchi 888 rc2 hahaha... i'd go nowhere else but there.... but thats me....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i love me my 40
    they call you a gansta if you spend big bucks on a pair of 20" chromes. well shlt.... i got a pair of 26's!

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnovick104
    Would you prefer a 2006 Fox 40 RC2 or a 2006 Boxxer WC for DH/FREERIDE?
    I am 100 Pounds, 14 1/2 years old growing....
    With price and preformance in mind... which would you go with?
    P.S
    For those who rode either one.... how do they feel?
    For those who rode both.... Can you compare? Does one totally dominate the other?
    dude, you dont need either. buy a used 888, 66 or even a z150 will suit you fine

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    boxxer all the way
    i am 15 and ride aggressively, they are sooo tunable, plus they are light and look sweet, so yea
    Pinning it Nor Cal style

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    boxxer all the way
    i am 15 and ride aggressively, they are sooo tunable, plus they are light and look sweet, so yea
    Pinning it Nor Cal style

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have both.
    The 40 is stiffer and the compression is very lineare, the WC is lighter more progressive and more adjustable...
    It depends what you want, if you ride in big rocks and you want something comfortable, take the 40 but if you want something lighter for technical routes, take the boxxer.

Both are really good forks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanx guys...
    anyone else?

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    a 40. i have rode 888"s but not the boxxer wc but i like the 40 the best. they just fell better. plus there just sweet lookin.

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    i had a 2002 judy tt on my mongoose... the valving was pretty nice... prob alittle better than the 06 wc? possibly

i havent ridden neither, but in order
    boxxer wc

T.Dot Represent
    i ride a 888 and its kick ass! sick for freeride dh pretty much anything... i even use it on XC rides loool

ive also ridden a 888 works edition and it felt pretty sweet aswell but didnt get a dh run on it so couldnt tell ya
    [SIZE=5]fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle[/SIZE]

Meh.
    You're so light, that you're going to want to keep your build weight down. Go with a SC fork, I doubt you'll be flexing it much.

mtbr member
    Go for the world cup it is by far the best fork made in 2006.
    Have you ThunderBrapped Today?

Mouse's Mom
    When we bought Mouse's Shova LT, Tom at Morewood said to go with the WC because he's so light (80 pounds at 12). He said the WC is super tunable. Mouse loves the fork and has been doing really well with it.

PhotoMom
    http://www.JodyGomez.com Someone please teach me to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    If you start a race confident you'll podium, you're a sandbagger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The 888 fo show

Bum Buzzer
    40 - awesome fork - too much hype
    Boxxer WC - awesome fork - some people fear air.
    888RC2x - awesome fork - extra mush!

The continuation of the idea that a 888 is less of a race fork, or is a huck fork is at best ill informed, and at worst stupidity and bias.

Al 3 are ridicuous racing or otherwise. I love MZ, so I'd go MZ - but you cant go wrong; and if you have a preference for feel that is certainly a consideration.

Decisions!

I would say the 40 and the Boxxer are higher maintenance (based on historical trends) but a little bit perkier feeling than the 888. However the 888 will erase everything in your path like you're riding a waterbed....

N* Bomber Crew
    Downhill/Freeride? 888RC2X screams your name.

Its a little on the heavy side in comparison to the others, but if you don't race and you jus tlove to downhill and go big on freeride, the 888RC2X is your best bet (If you ask me). I wouldn't doubt the other selections you made though, but, its up in the air that if you DID throw down big on the Fox or the Boxxer you would proabobly have to service your fork a tad more (Not saying you have to, but chances are high).

Marzocchi has great dependibility. That doesn't mean you never do maintanince on it, but its just very dependable/reliable.
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

Innovate or die!
    if you are near 100 lbs and are 14 u can easily get away with the boxxer WC.

WC feels good, is pretty DAM progessive due to air, hard to bottom or get full travel, but it is plush for what it is. Lightest fork, but also fairly flexy (like ur gonna notice), and will probably need the most maintinence around $1200.

40 is plush as hell, and incredible damping, not to mention stiff/adjustable. However, it is expensive, and like the world cup, needs maintinence, and oil change at least every 6 months. around $1600

888 is plush, but more of a hucking fork with weak initial stroke with strong ramp up. Hopefully the RC2X damping fixes this, but who knows. The only forks i have seen that have lived a year with zero maintinence. However, they are fairly heavy, zocchi does shady stuff when weighing them...... around $1200.

I'd say in your case, if you are going for a DH race setup go for Boxxer WC. For all around riding with some racing, 888. For ultimate in performance, not really neccessary for a guy that doesnt run into stuff hard yet, get the 40RC2. All great forks.

another, and probly best option for you is to get the boxxer team. Weighs around middlin, and has dependable coil/oil instead of air. Not to mention saves you 250 bux.

I say SAVE THE CASH and buy a nice hardtail or 4x bike to accompany that DH rig
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105
    if you are near 100 lbs and are 14 u can easily get away with the boxxer WC.

WC feels good, is pretty DAM progessive due to air, hard to bottom or get full travel, but it is plush for what it is. Lightest fork, but also fairly flexy (like ur gonna notice), and will probably need the most maintinence around $1200.

40 is plush as hell, and incredible damping, not to mention stiff/adjustable. However, it is expensive, and like the world cup, needs maintinence, and oil change at least every 6 months. around $1600

888 is plush, but more of a hucking fork with weak initial stroke with strong ramp up. Hopefully the RC2X damping fixes this, but who knows. The only forks i have seen that have lived a year with zero maintinence. However, they are fairly heavy, zocchi does shady stuff when weighing them...... around $1200.

I'd say in your case, if you are going for a DH race setup go for Boxxer WC. For all around riding with some racing, 888. For ultimate in performance, not really neccessary for a guy that doesnt run into stuff hard yet, get the 40RC2. All great forks.

another, and probly best option for you is to get the boxxer team. Weighs around middlin, and has dependable coil/oil instead of air. Not to mention saves you 250 bux.

I say SAVE THE CASH and buy a nice hardtail or 4x bike to accompany that DH rig
    What a load...

More 888 is a hucking fork BS. Boxxer is flexy? Do you sell this stuff you're smoking? I may know some interested parties...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    What a load...

More 888 is a hucking fork BS. Boxxer is flexy? Do you sell this stuff you're smoking? I may know some interested parties...