Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2005 Kona Shred or 2004 Kona Scrap

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Whafe 
#1 ·
I was looking at the 2005 Konas and I can get a new 2005 Kona Shred (lowest dj bike) or a new 2004 Kona Scrap (second dj model) for about the same price. The new bikes dont come out for few weeks but I was wondering which one would be better.

#2 ·
FR_RIDER00 said:
I was looking at the 2005 Konas and I can get a new 2005 Kona Shred (lowest dj bike) or a new 2004 Kona Scrap (second dj model) for about the same price. The new bikes dont come out for few weeks but I was wondering which one would be better.
for wut? DJ?

the kona scrap would of course be better cuz it costs more (mainly better components)

u should wait until the new p series comes out to make ur decision, the p's r gonna rok

#6 ·
and the dirt jam comp is like worse than a DJ 3 so the only thing it could be used for is DJing, if hes gonna go trailing or FRing, than id take the Scrap

#7 ·
OK boys.... calm down here.

Firstly, the MZ race is a Taiwanese made XC fork that Kona put on the bike to keep the price down. It's not a DJ specific fork like the Dirt Jam. This doesn't mean it can't be used for DJ but I wouldn't really expect to get a warranty on it if it breaks, which it will!

The Shred has cheaper parts (particularly the rear derailleur) and will need replacing almost immediately. It all comes down to whether you are willing to replace parts straight away and whether it would be cheaper to replace the majority of the parts or just the fork and keep the parts. I personally would replace the components as they break and keep the frame and fork.

But that's just me,

---Matt---

#8 ·
Chikity China said:
and the dirt jam comp is like worse than a DJ 3 so the only thing it could be used for is DJing...
YEEEEAH.... RIIIIIIGHT! So I've got a Monster T... does that mean I am not allowed to ride it down the street?!?!?!? It's only a DH fork... therefore it can only be used for DH. I can't DJ or XC or anything else with it!

Seriously! Think before you type!

---Matt---

#10 ·
I agree, go with the Haro 8.3. A great second scooter. I am tall, so swapped an 04 8.3 frame for a large frame from a 2003 8.3. No diff, just diff shaped frame stays. All the components are 2004.

Good blast too ride, not quite as good as my Ells DARE though. Wouldnt want to be either. cost my arm and leg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.