Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    2005 Devinci 8-flat-8, 2005 RMX R1, 2005 Trek Session 7 or 2005 Giant Faith 2

    I'm 6'3", 240 pds, i like to ride DH, FR, and do some urban drops. I'm in the process of searching for a new bike to fit my needs. I'm not a smooth rider. I'm really hard on parts so I want something great. The choices are the followings:2005 Devinci 8-flat-8, 2005 RMX R1, 2005 Trek Session 7 or 2005 Giant Faith 2. I know the Trek and the Faith 2 are less expensive, and that's the point of my question: Do you think they could be well enough for me or I should pop up the extra dollars for the Devinci. The RMX is also another choice, but the most expensive. If you all say that the RMX is really the way to go, then I might pick it up. The Session 7 was my first choice, but I would still like something different than a 4-bar even if those new Session looks very cool. That's about it...

  2. #2
    e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    Reputation: themarsvolta55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume
    I'm 6'3", 240 pds, i like to ride DH, FR, and do some urban drops. I'm in the process of searching for a new bike to fit my needs. I'm not a smooth rider. I'm really hard on parts so I want something great. The choices are the followings:2005 Devinci 8-flat-8, 2005 RMX R1, 2005 Trek Session 7 or 2005 Giant Faith 2. I know the Trek and the Faith 2 are less expensive, and that's the point of my question: Do you think they could be well enough for me or I should pop up the extra dollars for the Devinci. The RMX is also another choice, but the most expensive. If you all say that the RMX is really the way to go, then I might pick it up. The Session 7 was my first choice, but I would still like something different than a 4-bar even if those new Session looks very cool. That's about it...

    i reccomend the mongoose solution hah jk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    842
    they are all awesome bikes, the new trek looks burly, the giant faith is unproven. I think you should also consider the Iron Horse 7point7. if i had to pick from your list, i would take the R1, trek, giant, devici in that order. but go with what your local shop carries, also take a peak at the VP free, if u can afford a R1, u can get a very nice VP free

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3
    First, since I live in Québec, Canada, no shop are carrying Iron Horse, and that 7.7 would cost too much. Second, a Vp-free is really too much expensive. Third, the R1 is the lowest RMX, with a Jr T. But thanks for your opinions and keep feeding my thaughts...

  5. #5
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume
    First, since I live in Québec, Canada, no shop are carrying Iron Horse, and that 7.7 would cost too much. Second, a Vp-free is really too much expensive. Third, the R1 is the lowest RMX, with a Jr T. But thanks for your opinions and keep feeding my thaughts...
    dude, as a quebecer you should be supporting Devinci, and they're pretty damn nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    842
    lol whoops, i figured R1 woul dbe the #1 RMX stupid rocky mountain. go with the devinci if u liveup there, how mcu snow u got? where in quebec r u? i was up in La Cabonan alittle while ago. I have family in 3 Rivers

  7. #7
    LT1
    LT1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    192

    ...In Canada, Iron Horse is sold thru Sportcheck...

    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume
    First, since I live in Québec, Canada, no shop are carrying Iron Horse, and that 7.7 would cost too much. Second, a Vp-free is really too much expensive. Third, the R1 is the lowest RMX, with a Jr T. But thanks for your opinions and keep feeding my thaughts...
    ...or whatever it's called. In Canada, I wouldn't wast my time with them, the prices might be good but the service isn't that great, either with the sale or after. I know, I bought my first Iron Horse from these people (many years ago - seems like yesterday).

    I am not from Quebec but I ride for a store (in Canada) that carries Devinci and I have a Hucker hardtail.

    Very good service both for warranty and crash replacement. Cool looking bikes, too and innovative. AND in Canada you get the Horst version of their 4 bar and don't pay extra for it. The US version is a regular non-horst 4 bar.

    Pricing is a bit more but the frames are Made in Canada.
    Last edited by LT1; 02-15-2005 at 03:47 PM. Reason: ...dumb spelling mistakes, grammer, etc...

  8. #8
    VIA
    VIA is offline
    banned
    Reputation: VIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,615
    No brainer...

    If you're from Canada go for that HOT 8-flat-8...
    I have the best experience with Marie @ Devinci with my two 'crash replasements'.
    Go Devinci.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,102

    Rmx

    I gotta vote for the RMX. It's such a sexy bike (which I realize is a shallow reason) and from my limited experience on it, it was amazing. You also gotta remember your resale value will be higher with the RMX because it is a more respected/higher end brand than most of the others (i'm sure everyone will argue with me on this) if you ever decide to sell. My opinion is biased cuz i've always been a huge Rocky fan but i'm totally smitten by the RMX.

  10. #10
    monkey's throw poo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    236

    trek

    Quote Originally Posted by dandurston
    I gotta vote for the RMX. It's such a sexy bike (which I realize is a shallow reason) and from my limited experience on it, it was amazing. You also gotta remember your resale value will be higher with the RMX because it is a more respected/higher end brand than most of the others (i'm sure everyone will argue with me on this) if you ever decide to sell. My opinion is biased cuz i've always been a huge Rocky fan but i'm totally smitten by the RMX.
    trek session, it pedals like a hardtail, very efficiant bike!, it feels like you're pedaling a super heavy fuel .....everyone knocks trek cause they're jumping in the game late, but they didnt, the diesel was a pretty good downhill bike, tracked like a train, no one bought it because of the name on the downtube, they have the smartest engineers building bikes that win tours in a row, im sure they can build an efficiant freeride bike to...which they have.
    two six is bet-ta

  11. #11
    Ride214
    Reputation: after_x_forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1
    Hey LT1 out of curiousity which sportchek were you dealing with because I'm a service tech at sportchek and we've warrantied iron horses over a season old for stupid reasons like bent chainrings... I dont know what you're talking about when you say sportchek in general has bad service. It all depends on who you talk to at sportchek and how you go abouts your problems.. and as for service after you buy the bike you just have to make sure the right technician works on it... because sportchek does have a few new techs that dont do the greatest job but usually there's one or two that can tune a bike better than any you've ever ridden.

  12. #12
    maker of trail
    Reputation: essenmeinstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2inthehole
    trek session, it pedals like a hardtail, very efficiant bike!, it feels like you're pedaling a super heavy fuel .....everyone knocks trek cause they're jumping in the game late, but they didnt, the diesel was a pretty good downhill bike, tracked like a train, no one bought it because of the name on the downtube, they have the smartest engineers building bikes that win tours in a row, im sure they can build an efficiant freeride bike to...which they have.
    X2 on the session, its pretty sweet.

    I have no experience, except with an RMX1, I never rode it, but a dude I rode with for a day did and he had some problems with it that day...

    I have a session 77 and that thing is built like a tank, doesn't bob on the back (the 888 on the front does though ) and handles nicely.

    The adjustable dropouts are pretty good too... you can have either a more nimble trail bike, or a slacker more DH oriented bike...

    Just don't kid yourself, its a 43lb monster

    oh and I'm 6'3" and 200lbs and I have the medium frame and its pretty much perfect...

Similar Threads

  1. question
    By sky84 in forum Passion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 04:52 PM
  2. blast from the past, cut/paste from archived MTB DOC posts
    By ashwinearl in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 09:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •