Thread: 2004 888 rc

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest

New question here. 2004 888 r

Today was the first nice day up here in a while and I was tooling aroung in the strret with my new (to me) 888. I notticed that it tops out harshly, with a solid "thud" noise. I have not had the for on a trail yet because I'll still getting over an elbow dislocation. I was just womdering if anyone else experinced that, or if it is just a normal sound when the fork tops out.

Thanks
    Last edited by Jekyll_Jockey; 04-02-2006 at 07:38 PM.

Beyond the stars
    Well, first off they didn't make an "RC" in 04' only the "R" "RR" and "RT" with the "R" being the same as the 05' "RC"

set the preload (sag) to the specs in the manual
    set the rebound as suggested on the Go-Ride web site
    set the compression also as suggested on the Go-Ride site

then tell us what the fork is doing and when and maybe we can help

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    My bad it is an 2004 R. and thanks for the help I'll keep y'all in th know.

Beyond the stars
    Ok, so what do you mean it's "toping out with a thud" ?

I'm going to have to assume you mean when the fork extends back after it is compressed, is that right? If that is the case, slow the rebound down a bit and see if that fixes the problem.

If you mean bottoming out, increase the compression so the fork "ramps up" towards the end of it's travel (first make sure you have the right springs for your weight by setting the sag to the specs in the manual) and if one of those two things don't work change your oil to 10wt or something . . .

mtbr member
    sounds like you just need to slow the rebound wayyy down. that is exactly how much 04r sounds when the rebond was too fast. by the way you will love the fork. depending on what frame you have, you mite want to consider flat crowns. i have them because mine is on an m1. the 04/05 888s are high so the flat crowns really make a huge difference