mtbr member

2003 V10 water Problem....Help

Anyone else have a problem with water getting into the Bottom Bracket?

I went to norba at snow shoe with my NEW bike ...raced...Hosed it a few time down there, then brought it home gave it a good bath......I went to re-align my E13 and pulled the left cup off my BB and about 8oz + of water came pouring out..much to my suprise! I cant figure how it got in there.... anyone else have this problem? Maybe you should check your BB and see if you have the same problem.
    I called Santa Cruz and they said there are pin holes near the welds to help releive the pressure during the welding process...dammed if I can find them and I cant see a few pin holes taking on this amount of water...!

Your thoughts?

mtbr member
    sounds like you have a built-in camelback on that bike! sweet!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Billleigh
    Anyone else have a problem with water getting into the Bottom Bracket?

I went to norba at snow shoe with my NEW bike ...raced...Hosed it a few time down there, then brought it home gave it a good bath......I went to re-align my E13 and pulled the left cup off my BB and about 8oz + of water came pouring out..much to my suprise! I cant figure how it got in there.... anyone else have this problem? Maybe you should check your BB and see if you have the same problem.
    I called Santa Cruz and they said there are pin holes near the welds to help releive the pressure during the welding process...dammed if I can find them and I cant see a few pin holes taking on this amount of water...!

Your thoughts?
    Sorry man all I can is SC is talking $hit through its ace. hahaha Pin Holes to relive pressure during welding what a joke. I am a welder (aluminuim) and that is the 1st time I have herd of that. Sir you have having some seriouse issue's and having pin holes in the weld is either Prosity or some guy that has no idea what he's doing. Pin holes in a weld is very bad because its not a consistent weld and may produce cracks from those pin holes. Aluminum does warp during welding (bad) but then goes back to normal when cooled down thats why they make jigs. So You may want Santa cruz to re think its idea of giving you the run around talk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    He said pin holes near the welds, not in them.

The're usually a hole drilled somewhere to relieve pressure. I've seen it on every frame I've had.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    drill another pin hole at the base of your bb shell and a nother somewhere near the top. this will alow the water to drain out smoothly and shouldn't have to much of an effect on strength, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_winner1
    Sorry man all I can is SC is talking $hit through its ace. hahaha Pin Holes to relive pressure during welding what a joke. I am a welder (aluminuim) and that is the 1st time I have herd of that. Sir you have having some seriouse issue's and having pin holes in the weld is either Prosity or some guy that has no idea what he's doing. Pin holes in a weld is very bad because its not a consistent weld and may produce cracks from those pin holes. Aluminum does warp during welding (bad) but then goes back to normal when cooled down thats why they make jigs. So You may want Santa cruz to re think its idea of giving you the run around talk.
    ever owned an aluminum bike? i've never seen one without these holes. they're like an inch away from the weld, not in it.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_winner1
    Sorry man all I can is SC is talking $hit through its ace. hahaha Pin Holes to relive pressure during welding what a joke.
    like was said, the holes are not at the weld, but somewhere else to release the hot gases built up during welding from what would otherwise be a sealed tube. As an experienced welder, i would of expected you to catch that....