Authority is dead!

2003 KHS DS2000 Witch Doctor vs. P.3

Hey all! As some of you might know (or may not know) I have a '02 Specialized P.3. All decked out, custom build, the first bike from a scratch (frame). Surfing pricepoint.com I bumped into that KHS for 700$ and was wondering if it's a good bike or not. I already have a bighit, but I sometimes want a hardtail. On the other hand, that short travel KHS looks fun to me. My brother sometimes rides with me on that P.3 and he says that it's easier to ride on my bighit. So I was thinking about selling P.3 and getting that KHS. Is it worth it? Reviews look good and the price is right. Anything bad about KHS and their bike? Any opinion/help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post,
    igor

P.S. If anyone interested in P.3, let me know.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Khs Fr 1500 Or Sgs Sport Or Expert???

Hope that link works...

Anyway, I do not own either of these but I do have a hardtail dirtjumper and I do have a short travel FS slalom bike, it's nice to have both. I currently do not have a longer travel bike and my new frame will be a Norco Fluid (more for trail, less so for FR/DH).

Anyway, strictly my opinion (based somewhat on bike variety, a bit on the bike brands):

I agree with the general opinion of the people who posted in the above in terms of KHS bikes - you could probably do better. A Heckler comes to mind, but it may be a bit long-ish in the travel. It's tough to find short travel, tough, slalom frames that are relatively inexpensive, maybe some other posters can offer some suggestions.

Honestly, you are better off to keep the P3 and see if you can find a good used short travel slalom bike, like a Tazer, Zig Zag, Rail, Dirt Works, etc. Or, you can go with the KHS and see how you like it, but still, I would not recommend getting rid of the P3. Remeber, too, that slalom bikes can have some "unusual" geometries, the KHS from what I remember from reviews I read, is not any different.

I like having the variety, there are times when I really don't care to ride the FS, and there are times when I really don't care to ride the HT. There are times when I don't want to ride either of these, so then it's back to the BMX...

Authority is dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1
    Khs Fr 1500 Or Sgs Sport Or Expert???

Hope that link works...

Anyway, I do not own either of these but I do have a hardtail dirtjumper and I do have a short travel FS slalom bike, it's nice to have both. I currently do not have a longer travel bike and my new frame will be a Norco Fluid (more for trail, less so for FR/DH).

Anyway, strictly my opinion (based somewhat on bike variety, a bit on the bike brands):

I agree with the general opinion of the people who posted in the above in terms of KHS bikes - you could probably do better. A Heckler comes to mind, but it may be a bit long-ish in the travel. It's tough to find short travel, tough, slalom frames that are relatively inexpensive, maybe some other posters can offer some suggestions.

Honestly, you are better off to keep the P3 and see if you can find a good used short travel slalom bike, like a Tazer, Zig Zag, Rail, Dirt Works, etc. Or, you can go with the KHS and see how you like it, but still, I would not recommend getting rid of the P3. Remeber, too, that slalom bikes can have some "unusual" geometries, the KHS from what I remember from reviews I read, is not any different.

I like having the variety, there are times when I really don't care to ride the FS, and there are times when I really don't care to ride the HT. There are times when I don't want to ride either of these, so then it's back to the BMX...
    yeah, i'll stay with P.3 i guess. I cannot imagine myself without a hardtail. P.3 4eva especially with Timo Pritzel and Shaums March signatures!
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

respect the wildlife
    Just wanted to give my my 2 cents on KHS - most of the negative stuff I have seen from people tend to second-hand opinions. My own, personal rule for researching anything is to listen only to reviews from people who have actually owned the product: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2002_Ful...ct_85318.shtml

Last summer I bought a new KHS FR2000 and I think it's a great bike. Sure, a Heckler is better and so is an Ellsworth. But the KHS cost me $1500 brand new and got me 90% of what I would get with a $4000 bike.

I haven't seen any strength problems with my frame, as some of the posts have implied. Depending on how well you ride, how big you go, and how badly you crash, you can break anything. I weigh 190 and ride pretty aggressively, and the bike feels super-solid. And since I could afford to buy it brand new, it is under warranty.

Hope this helps