mtbr member

2003-2004 Marzocchi Super Monster

Just curious about the 2004 Marzocchi Super Monster (Tenneco Marzocchi Suspension - 2004 Extreme Freeride/Downhill forks - SUPER MONSTER). I have a 2012 Fox 40 arriving via UPS on Monday so am not interested in finding one but has anyone here ever ridden one? How are they? It looks about 4" overkill to me and maybe that's why they were so short lived (only 2003 and 2004 right?).

I have not seen any up for sale for a while but I think it would be cool to ride one just to experience.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    saw a few back in the day...
    but they were overkill and inefficient in my eyes.
    Way heavy and basically built for huge freeride drops.

I believe it was 12" but could be reduced to 10"
    I saw my last one on the Azonic Gravity. I actually think it may have been stock??

Glad to Be Alive
    seen a few back in the day...basically worthless unless you are hucking way big...because 12 pounds sucks to pedal
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys. Nobody's actually ridden one?
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I own an 03 with the Monster 2 forks. It's a true 8 " bike. Very plush ride. In fact it's very much like riding a 72 Cadillac Eldorado...... big, heavy, and eats the fuel (my legs climbing), convertible of course. However it's surprisingly responsive and nimble for such a heavy fork set up and with the 24" rear wheel it is very fast and while I feel it's weight compared to my Cannondale 26lb XC but it still climbs quite well. The geometry of the bike gives me huge confidence when going fast downhill and when I adjust the rear shock to it's hardest and slowest settings, I can street ride without bobbing too much making it easy to roll out to the local 7-11 for a batch of high chew. : )

mtbr member
    Thanks for the post/review. I saw one sell on pinkbike recently for about $1000. Interesting idea but I'll stay with current technology for that pricepoint.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Dude came into our shop a few years ago and wanted to buy a new bike and trade in his old complete giant team dh with a super monster on it. Ended up giving him $400 credit for it bc i wanted to see how it rode. I took the bike out and it was pretty crappy pretty much all around. turned terrible, front end was too high, jumped awful. I took one run on it and decided i was done trying it out. It was plush though. Some dude ended up buying the complete for 1400...nuts. it was fun to try

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I worked at a shop in Vermont from 2005-2007. This kid who was a regular customer bought a Super Monster for his Sinister R9. This kid's parent's paid cash for the whole bike. I think the kid was 15 or 16. He was some fat kid that just sat and plopped down the local DH trails. I sat on it and rode it around a little a few times. It was ridiculously tall and must be unstoppable down a rocky DH course. Pretty sure the kid just wanted it for the "look what I have" factor.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

Huckin' trails
    One of my friend actually ride a Balfa with old school tech like Shimano pneumatic shifting and double crank pulley pivots. And a Super Monster to top it off.

I'll try to get a pic, coz that bike is just plain awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!