mtbr member
    Feb 2013

2002 GIANT DH Comp - Noob

Someone offered me to sell their 2002 DH Comp for $200, I offered him $150. The bike rides well, probably needs a chain, and some other little things, the suspension seems to work fine, and the bike was very comfortable for my height. There are no dents/dings from what I quickly inspected, but all the stickers are mostly worn, paint scratched, etc. I trust him as we are good friends and this price seems hard to beat.

Basically, this bike used to retail for $3,000, I'm guessing he might have purchased it for $2200 (guess). Saving $2050 sounds reasonable to me granted it is eleven years old. He is definitely a rider so it has been ridden.

Any thoughts, information, or suggestions?

mtbr member

For that price you can hardly go wrong. I bought a '97 GT Avalanche for $200, I've upgraded the entire bike to XTR or better (used) components, new tires, cleaning and normal mtce items and it's lighter and faster AND more comfortable than most newer rides I've tested

2010 Glory custom FR
    However, be aware, that it will be very hard to buy parts of suspension for that bike (depending on region). Moreover, the frame has more that 10 years. It may not be as strong as it was decade ago, just because of the flow of time. And, I might have been through hell
    150-200$ is not big money for such bike, but can you afford throwing that money away in worst case scenario?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    However, be aware, that it will be very hard to buy parts of suspension for that bike (depending on region). Moreover, the frame has more that 10 years. It may not be as strong as it was decade ago, just because of the flow of time. And, I might have been through hell
    150-200$ is not big money for such bike, but can you afford throwing that money away in worst case scenario?
    Are you saying don't do it?

2010 Glory custom FR
    I am saying, check the frame very carefully, check local distro for frame parts, calculate as precisely as you can how much you'd have to invest.
    pozdro
    frango

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I would say its a very old bike with very old technology.. ride it, but don't put money into it. I am sure in its day it was nice, but bikes have come a long way since then, I am sure the geometry is weird.

Save your money and buy something more modern..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Great deal, go for it!

mtbr member
    It's a capable bike. I rode with a guy this summer at N* with a Team DH and he was faster than the rest of our group down Karpiel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just found out it has a crack in the frame at the seat post. It needs about $40 worth of parts. That turns it into an unsafe $190 bike.

Any other recommendations? Maybe new? Or good values in the used department?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Performula View Post
    I just found out it has a crack in the frame at the seat post. It needs about $40 worth of parts. That turns it into an unsafe $190 bike.

Any other recommendations? Maybe new? Or good values in the used department?
    crappy deals. a guy i know had an m3 with a crack in the seattube. he ducttaped it and continued riding

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I think I might buy it. The crack is teeny tiny at the top of the shock mount. Minor for my type of riding (noob).

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Performula View Post
    I think I might buy it. The crack is teeny tiny at the top of the shock mount. Minor for my type of riding (noob).
    The crack in the Challenger's O-ring was little too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamikefoxtrot View Post
    The crack in the Challenger's O-ring was little too.
    Haha! That's messed up my grandfather worked on the thing. Mistakes happen.