• 10-21-2010
    bullcrew
    #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!
    Sorry but the other thread has a ton of pictures deleted after 20 pages and I used it for reference and ideas....
    So I figured Id start another for the 2010/2011 so I/we can reference it again... Besides it was great seeing all the single crown set ups, I know I tried several different things based on what I saw in that thread...
    So same thing they are obviousley stout forks and we have a new player to the arena this season the fox 36 180mm...

    So if you got a single crown DH/FR bike lets see em!:thumbsup:

    Im back with a 2011 66 chassis and Avalanche cartridge in it, figured its great in my bxr WC Id grab the single crown unit for the 66 and LOVE it... WOW what a difference the new bushings and lowers make over 08/09 holy "rhymes with RAP" ....


  • 10-21-2010
    Quarashi
    Banshee Scythe Do-it-all turned race bike
    I built this bike as consolidation of my Yeti 575 and ASX to my one bike for college. I got into the racing scene and ran out of money so I've basically been racing this dual ring, single crown 7x7 set up for more than a season.

    Great fun having strengths and weaknesses different from most other bikes on the track, makes for some unique lines.

    Took awhile to get used to this bike but I'm quite confident on it now. Loves railing berms and controlled drifts. Stiff as hell! Handles bottom outs better than many DH bikes I've ridden with.

    Fork is a Totem 2-step with a long story. After countless back and forths and services it's now got a DH damper and works quite well. I think it's quite unique in the is as when I contacted SRAM Taiwan they told me they never actually shipped any 2 steps with DH dampers.

    Rims are different color because I cracked my 729 on the rear on my first race due to negligence (new wheel build and having too much fun on a new bike multiplied by a nasty case = cracked rim). I'd like to note though that the DS 28 on the front has surpassed my expectations greatly. Perfect rim, never dents and never flats, I just wish it was wider.

    Enough words. Time for pics. Don't have many bike vanity stationary pics so I'll just load in some action shots.











    SLAMMED
  • 10-21-2010
    louman
    2 Attachment(s)
    09 Intense SS w/Fox 36
    Intense Slopestyle 09 med
    2010 fox float FIT 36 160mm
    saint brakes
    saint shifter
    sanit cranks 165mm
    canfield crampon pedals
    straitline stem blue
    chromag fubars osx bar black chrome
    mavic dee traks wheels
  • 10-21-2010
    b-kul
    that avy 66 is so sick.
  • 10-21-2010
    bullcrew
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Quarashi



    Enough words. Time for pics. Don't have many bike vanity stationary pics so I'll just load in some action shots.









    SLAMMED

    Nice shots man. Goes to show so.goes can kill it... atleast the rider can in this case... sick shots.
  • 10-21-2010
    goodgrief
    bullcrew, did you ride the 66 with the standard damping?
    reason for asking, I've just fitted a '10 66 rc3 ti so would be interested in a comparison.

    08 orange patriot
  • 10-21-2010
    mfrench2013
    nothin special...
  • 10-21-2010
    insanitylevel9
    1 Attachment(s)
    dont hit me..... i will get a better pic later
  • 10-21-2010
    alex55
    Transition Bottlerocket
    I got this to replace my '06 Kona Coiler. I'm a student at the South Dakota School of Mines & Technology in Rapid City, SD and I got this because I thought it would suit the terrain here well. So far I love this bike. Its great for just about anything except for rock gardens but even then, its not bad. It handles everything well and is comfortable in the air. I even take it to the dirt jumps quite a bit.

    Frame: Transition Bottlerocket. 2010 size large
    Fork: RockShox Domain 318 Coil U-turn
    Shock: Marzocchi Roco TST R
    Wheels: Transition Revolution 32
    Tires: Maxxis Minnions. DHF w/ exo-protection front. DHR rear
    Derailleurs: SLX front and rear
    Shifters: deore
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite
    Saddle: transition Park n' ride FR
    Chainguide: MRP LRP
    cranks: Raceface Evolve DH
    Pedals: DMR V8
    brakes: Avid Code 5
    stem: Raceface respond
    Bar: Truvativ Holzfeller
    Grips: Lizard Skins Peaty
    headset: Cane Creak Tank Jump
    extras: blue cable housing

    I would talk about it more but I really want to go ride now.


    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4633349...8636/lightbox/
  • 10-21-2010
    Err
    Nicolai AFR - custom
    Setup 7 & 7 with a 64.5* HTA
    Super Shreddy





  • 10-21-2010
    bullcrew
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by goodgrief
    bullcrew, did you ride the 66 with the standard damping?
    reason for asking, I've just fitted a '10 66 rc3 ti so would be interested in a comparison.

    08 orange patriot

    I have and i like the new stuff i had the 888 evo ti its the same damper as the year before basically just a bit more user serviceable. The biggest improvement was the slotted bushings and the internals of the lowers... that matched with the avy and its a very mean fork..., marzocchi nailed the bushings and seals for sure in 2010....
    the avalanche cart has a hydraulic bottom out so space the spring for preload so there's no harsh ramp up from the air preload. Letthe hydraulic damper do its thing and its amazing when you case something. HUGE IMPROVEMENT...
  • 10-21-2010
    Norcoshore1
    1 Attachment(s)
    really crappy camera phone pic but you get the idea

    Attachment 575263
  • 10-21-2010
    Cable0guy
    1 Attachment(s)
    Back up bike for DH and AM
  • 10-21-2010
    b-kul
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Err
    Nicolai AFR - custom
    Setup 7 & 7 with a 64.5* HTA
    Super Shreddy






    now that is a bike :thumbsup:
  • 10-21-2010
    ryan_daugherty
  • 10-22-2010
    dropadrop
    Here with my lighter wheelset and tires



  • 10-22-2010
    bullcrew
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dropadrop
    Here with my lighter wheelset and tires




    Dig the purple I9s! Bike looks good.... Whats it weigh, hows it ride and how is it on the ups and downs.......
  • 10-22-2010
    dropadrop
    In that set up it weighs about 32lb's. My other wheel set (hadley + ex823) weighs 1 1/2 more (+ another 1 1/2lbs more for heavier tires) which will probably make it feel very different, but I have not had time to try them out yet.

    I'm amazed at how well it climbs. I don't have long grinding steep climbs here, rather short and technical ones which it clears better then any of my previous trail bikes (more stable, better traction). Going down it's also great, it's my first longer travel bike so I guess that's to be expected, don't have so much to compare to.

    I have been contemplating on swapping the fork for a 180mm model and getting a headset that would have more lower stack height. That would raise the BB enough to give me more freedom to use the slacker G3 settings (I can only use the steepest settings on my trails, and middle on smoother trails, with 20mm more height in the front I could use middle on rocky trails and slackest in smoother dh places).

    Currently it also has a proper bash ring and the spacers under the stem are moved above it.
  • 10-22-2010
    taotao
    Ghost
    my GHOST FR Northshore 800 ;)





  • 10-22-2010
    1soulrider
    1 Attachment(s)
    Turner Highline....
  • 10-22-2010
    b-kul
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dropadrop
    In that set up it weighs about 32lb's. My other wheel set (hadley + ex823) weighs 1 1/2 more (+ another 1 1/2lbs more for heavier tires) which will probably make it feel very different, but I have not had time to try them out yet.

    I'm amazed at how well it climbs. I don't have long grinding steep climbs here, rather short and technical ones which it clears better then any of my previous trail bikes (more stable, better traction). Going down it's also great, it's my first longer travel bike so I guess that's to be expected, don't have so much to compare to.

    I have been contemplating on swapping the fork for a 180mm model and getting a headset that would have more lower stack height. That would raise the BB enough to give me more freedom to use the slacker G3 settings (I can only use the steepest settings on my trails, and middle on smoother trails, with 20mm more height in the front I could use middle on rocky trails and slackest in smoother dh places).

    Currently it also has a proper bash ring and the spacers under the stem are moved above it.

    in that picture how big is the ring/ what bash?
  • 10-22-2010
    nmpearson
    It's super dirty, but it's my second bike just for letting my buddies ride on it...
    2010 Bottlerocket, 2010 Totem Coil, 2011 Vivid Air, 2011 Code R, 2011 X.9 10 speed setup, Minion EXO 2.5 3C, Random Deity Stuff, raceface, etc...It's down to 36 pounds. Pretty sick actually
  • 10-22-2010
    dropadrop
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by b-kul
    in that picture how big is the ring/ what bash?

    The ring is 28t, and it's not really a bash despite looking like one. There is a plate on both sides of the chainring, but it twists at the site of an obstacle, hence I modded it a bit to add a proper bash. That's a widgit.
  • 10-22-2010
    bullcrew
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nmpearson
    It's super dirty, but it's my second bike just for letting my buddies ride on it...2010 Bottlerocket, 2010 Totem Coil, 2011 Vivid Air, 2011 Code R, 2011 X.9 10 speed setup, Minion EXO 2.5 3C, Random Deity Stuff, raceface, etc...It's down to 36 pounds. Pretty sick actually

    Thats a pretty sick buddy loaner bike! Wanna be friends LOL:thumbsup:
  • 10-22-2010
    xcoffmanx
    Can someone please tell me how I can post my pictures, I keep getting errors or file to large. I am kinda illeterate when it comes to that type of stuff.

    Thanks,
    Mike
  • 10-22-2010
    OffCamber
    Custom build 09 Bighit with Fox Float 180mm
  • 10-22-2010
    Norcoshore1
    I hate you guys. you all make my bike look like a piece of crap lol
  • 10-22-2010
    ustemuf


    shade under 39 lbs.
  • 10-22-2010
    xcoffmanx



    Custom Build
    2011 Giant Frame
    2011 Code Brakes
    Saint Cranks
    Sram
    Chris King Hubs mated to 823's
  • 10-22-2010
    Quarashi
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nmpearson
    It's super dirty, but it's my second bike just for letting my buddies ride on it...
    2010 Bottlerocket, 2010 Totem Coil, 2011 Vivid Air, 2011 Code R, 2011 X.9 10 speed setup, Minion EXO 2.5 3C, Random Deity Stuff, raceface, etc...It's down to 36 pounds. Pretty sick actually


    I'm with bullcrew! I'd hate to see your #1 bike, bling might burn my eyes out!

    Quote:

    Nice shots man. Goes to show so.goes can kill it... atleast the rider can in this case... sick shots.
    Thanks! I would have to give credit to the guy who took most of those shots though.

    It's a great ride, incredibly stable and it doesn't feel very heavy once you get used to it.

    Something baffles me a bit though, the thing weighs 40 pounds on the dot and (without whiping out Excel) I can't really figure out what is so heavy out about it. Front is wheel has a dual ply tire with an XC tube in it and the rear has a single ply tire with a DH tube. I can't really figure out why it's so heavy compared to a lot of builds I see here with heavier rims, tires, cranks and forks.

    You guys seal up your frame and tires with nitrogen don't you... :band:
  • 10-22-2010
    b-kul
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dropadrop
    The ring is 28t, and it's not really a bash despite looking like one. There is a plate on both sides of the chainring, but it twists at the site of an obstacle, hence I modded it a bit to add a proper bash. That's a widgit.

    just looked it up. looks sick but i dont think i have the legs to push a 28 in ma and vt. i wish they made a 26 or 24.
  • 10-23-2010
    AmirBernard



    gonna get me a new frame next month or so... will an intense 6.6 crack at freeriding?
  • 10-23-2010
    dropadrop
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by b-kul
    just looked it up. looks sick but i dont think i have the legs to push a 28 in ma and vt. i wish they made a 26 or 24.

    I guess it really depends on where you ride. I already spin out now and then with teh 28t, could not go lower (but it's great for the climbs).
  • 10-23-2010
    b-kul
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AmirBernard


    gonna get me a new frame next month or so... will an intense 6.6 crack at freeriding?

    it wouldny be bad by any stretch of the imagination but if you are gonna drop that kind of ash on a frame you have better options. if you want to stay with intense id look at the ss or uzzi.
  • 10-24-2010
    lalocotequinta
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Err
    Nicolai AFR - custom
    Setup 7 & 7 with a 64.5* HTA
    Super Shreddy






    That's the most beautiful bike I've seen in a while, now I want one. Do you know how much it weighs? Care to post your build specs?
  • 10-24-2010
    b-kul
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dropadrop
    I guess it really depends on where you ride. I already spin out now and then with teh 28t, could not go lower (but it's great for the climbs).

    where i ride the climbs are either short steep and technical or long and steep. the common denominator being they are steep and my legs and cardio wont allow me to mash up the hills.
  • 10-24-2010
    blue109
    old/backup/loaner bike preston FR. custom paint and polished rear/links. hope to have the new(to me) toy finished this week :)


  • 10-25-2010
    modifier
    2 Attachment(s)
    XC set up. 35lbs Best XC bike I've owned.
  • 10-25-2010
    PsyCro
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by modifier
    XC set up. 35lbs Best XC bike I've owned.


    Daaaaaamn.. i love this kind of heavy duty all-around philosophy!! All i would add is a Hammerschmidt for the climbs :D
  • 10-25-2010
    dropadrop
    Seems like everybody already has 2011 Fox 36's... :o
  • 10-25-2010
    modifier
    can't delete double post
  • 10-25-2010
    modifier
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PsyCro
    Daaaaaamn.. i love this kind of heavy duty all-around philosophy!! All i would add is a Hammerschmidt for the climbs :D

    Thanks

    2 things.

    First at 35lbs that is about all I would want to push up hills. You get used to it and it's a lot about fitness but I really wouldn't want to add more, which the Hammer would. Thought about it.

    The second is after riding it for a couple of months with the 32 front only and getting sore knees and not being able to push up the steepest climbs I taped the holes in the Saint and installed a 24 tooth inner ring. I gained 2 lower gears and lost 2 upper gears and the spacing between gears is more even now. There really isn't anything I will spin out on around here and only get into the 11 tooth cog every once and a while as it is. 2nd gear is really good for climbing steep stuff and I have a fairly good granny if I need it. I used 1st yesterday and climbed up something that I had never made it up. I can shift down to the small ring by pushing it over with my shoe but have to put it back up by hand. But to tell you the truth I don't really even need the 32 for around here. I ordered a Blackspire trials ring guard and when that gets here I'm just going to take off the 32 and run with the 24 only.

    Most thought having 7 inches of travel front and back on a XC bike is nuts but the truth is it works better. I have it set up supper squishy with a lot of high speed compression dampening for hard hits.

    Might not be a popular decision with the 29er rigid pushing big ring guys but hey I don't ride with them anyhow.

    If I ever do get to a down hill park I just have to change a few things out and should be good to go.
  • 10-25-2010
    PsyCro
    Heh, no worries, i understand the pluses and minuses. I'm on a 42 pound Maelstrom myself.. using an old 66 with ETA, a travel adjust seatpost, and 24-36 chainrings. Built for no holds barred epic riding. :thumbsup:
  • 10-25-2010
    Gman086
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Err
    Nicolai AFR - custom
    Setup 7 & 7 with a 64.5* HTA
    Super Shreddy

    NICE! Is there a dealer in OR? Looking at the specs it looks to be exactly what I'm looking for right down to the 17" chainstays.

    I WANT!

    G
  • 10-26-2010
    sambs827
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here's mine. Just built it up this summer.

    Attachment 576160

    07 Trek Session 77
    09 DHX-5
    09 Totem Coil
    Outlaws
    FSA Moto-X Cranks
    Blackspire chain guide
    Azonic 420 pedals
    Nevegal 2.5, Minion 2.5
    WTB Pure-V saddle
    BB-7s (for now)

    sits right around 40lbs. Can't complain at all considering how much money I (don't) have into it. I've ripped it at Plattekill twice, can't wait to tear up Diablo in the spring. WAHOO!
  • 10-26-2010
    ustemuf
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by modifier
    XC set up. 35lbs Best XC bike I've owned.

    thats the most confused bike i've ever seen... expensive, nice components.. just confused :)
  • 10-26-2010
    ustemuf
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dropadrop
    Seems like everybody already has 2011 Fox 36's... :o

    and loving it!!



    best fork i've owned.. i've had the 09 Lyrik U-Turn, 09 Totem /w Mission Control, and the 2010 boxxer team... the Fox feels way better than all of them.
  • 10-29-2010
    bullcrew
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sambs827
    Here's mine. Just built it up this summer.

    Attachment 576160

    07 Trek Session 77
    !

    Trek 77 very nice reminds me of a blitz...

    BTW got a little time in on the 66 Avy... VERY NICE!!!!
  • 10-29-2010
    Ozmanick
    09 Bighit 1. Bought for $1100 which is......AMAZING. Loving it so far

  • 10-29-2010
    bullcrew
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ozmanick
    09 Bighit 1. Bought for $1100 which is......AMAZING. Loving it so far


    Nice ride GREAT price good for you man.....Congrats :thumbsup: