Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!

226K views 627 replies 258 participants last post by  twelve02 
#1 ·
Sorry but the other thread has a ton of pictures deleted after 20 pages and I used it for reference and ideas....
So I figured Id start another for the 2010/2011 so I/we can reference it again... Besides it was great seeing all the single crown set ups, I know I tried several different things based on what I saw in that thread...
So same thing they are obviousley stout forks and we have a new player to the arena this season the fox 36 180mm...

So if you got a single crown DH/FR bike lets see em!:thumbsup:

Im back with a 2011 66 chassis and Avalanche cartridge in it, figured its great in my bxr WC Id grab the single crown unit for the 66 and LOVE it... WOW what a difference the new bushings and lowers make over 08/09 holy "rhymes with RAP" ....

See less See more
#2 ·
Banshee Scythe Do-it-all turned race bike

I built this bike as consolidation of my Yeti 575 and ASX to my one bike for college. I got into the racing scene and ran out of money so I've basically been racing this dual ring, single crown 7x7 set up for more than a season.

Great fun having strengths and weaknesses different from most other bikes on the track, makes for some unique lines.

Took awhile to get used to this bike but I'm quite confident on it now. Loves railing berms and controlled drifts. Stiff as hell! Handles bottom outs better than many DH bikes I've ridden with.

Fork is a Totem 2-step with a long story. After countless back and forths and services it's now got a DH damper and works quite well. I think it's quite unique in the is as when I contacted SRAM Taiwan they told me they never actually shipped any 2 steps with DH dampers.

Rims are different color because I cracked my 729 on the rear on my first race due to negligence (new wheel build and having too much fun on a new bike multiplied by a nasty case = cracked rim). I'd like to note though that the DS 28 on the front has surpassed my expectations greatly. Perfect rim, never dents and never flats, I just wish it was wider.

Enough words. Time for pics. Don't have many bike vanity stationary pics so I'll just load in some action shots.

SLAMMED

#9 ·
Transition Bottlerocket

I got this to replace my '06 Kona Coiler. I'm a student at the South Dakota School of Mines & Technology in Rapid City, SD and I got this because I thought it would suit the terrain here well. So far I love this bike. Its great for just about anything except for rock gardens but even then, its not bad. It handles everything well and is comfortable in the air. I even take it to the dirt jumps quite a bit.

Frame: Transition Bottlerocket. 2010 size large
Fork: RockShox Domain 318 Coil U-turn
Shock: Marzocchi Roco TST R
Wheels: Transition Revolution 32
Tires: Maxxis Minnions. DHF w/ exo-protection front. DHR rear
Derailleurs: SLX front and rear
Shifters: deore
Seatpost: Thompson Elite
Saddle: transition Park n' ride FR
Chainguide: MRP LRP
cranks: Raceface Evolve DH
Pedals: DMR V8
brakes: Avid Code 5
stem: Raceface respond
Bar: Truvativ Holzfeller
Grips: Lizard Skins Peaty
headset: Cane Creak Tank Jump
extras: blue cable housing

I would talk about it more but I really want to go ride now.

#11 ·
goodgrief said:
bullcrew, did you ride the 66 with the standard damping?
reason for asking, I've just fitted a '10 66 rc3 ti so would be interested in a comparison.

08 orange patriot
I have and i like the new stuff i had the 888 evo ti its the same damper as the year before basically just a bit more user serviceable. The biggest improvement was the slotted bushings and the internals of the lowers... that matched with the avy and its a very mean fork..., marzocchi nailed the bushings and seals for sure in 2010....
the avalanche cart has a hydraulic bottom out so space the spring for preload so there's no harsh ramp up from the air preload. Letthe hydraulic damper do its thing and its amazing when you case something. HUGE IMPROVEMENT...

#18 ·
In that set up it weighs about 32lb's. My other wheel set (hadley + ex823) weighs 1 1/2 more (+ another 1 1/2lbs more for heavier tires) which will probably make it feel very different, but I have not had time to try them out yet.

I'm amazed at how well it climbs. I don't have long grinding steep climbs here, rather short and technical ones which it clears better then any of my previous trail bikes (more stable, better traction). Going down it's also great, it's my first longer travel bike so I guess that's to be expected, don't have so much to compare to.

I have been contemplating on swapping the fork for a 180mm model and getting a headset that would have more lower stack height. That would raise the BB enough to give me more freedom to use the slacker G3 settings (I can only use the steepest settings on my trails, and middle on smoother trails, with 20mm more height in the front I could use middle on rocky trails and slackest in smoother dh places).

Currently it also has a proper bash ring and the spacers under the stem are moved above it.

#21 ·
dropadrop said:
In that set up it weighs about 32lb's. My other wheel set (hadley + ex823) weighs 1 1/2 more (+ another 1 1/2lbs more for heavier tires) which will probably make it feel very different, but I have not had time to try them out yet.

I'm amazed at how well it climbs. I don't have long grinding steep climbs here, rather short and technical ones which it clears better then any of my previous trail bikes (more stable, better traction). Going down it's also great, it's my first longer travel bike so I guess that's to be expected, don't have so much to compare to.

I have been contemplating on swapping the fork for a 180mm model and getting a headset that would have more lower stack height. That would raise the BB enough to give me more freedom to use the slacker G3 settings (I can only use the steepest settings on my trails, and middle on smoother trails, with 20mm more height in the front I could use middle on rocky trails and slackest in smoother dh places).

Currently it also has a proper bash ring and the spacers under the stem are moved above it.
in that picture how big is the ring/ what bash?

#24 ·
nmpearson said:
It's super dirty, but it's my second bike just for letting my buddies ride on it...2010 Bottlerocket, 2010 Totem Coil, 2011 Vivid Air, 2011 Code R, 2011 X.9 10 speed setup, Minion EXO 2.5 3C, Random Deity Stuff, raceface, etc...It's down to 36 pounds. Pretty sick actually
Thats a pretty sick buddy loaner bike! Wanna be friends LOL:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.