Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Don't think anyone comes out of that one well.

Mr Walton kept riding (hard) on a wheel he knew was cracked, cased a jump, obliterated it and then starts mouthing off that it 'cost him a separated shoulder,' when the reality is he was a victim of his own stupidity.

Enve apparently sent out a duff rim, then instead of just admitting that 'sh|t, that's not meant to happen,' they start farting out lame excuses about prototypes and first ever failures.

I don't think that picture's fair on Enve though, since it took a guy hanging up on a rim he knew was cracked already to make it happen, any sane person would have just rolled home and gone for the warranty.
    But if you read the article, he states that it wasn't an obvious crack and, on a normal day of riding, (not product testing) he probably wouldn't have noticed it. He kept riding it to see what the results would be in a normal situation.
    Based on those results, I think I can find about a go-zillion better ways to spend a couple Gs than on these rims.
    Last edited by roxtar; 01-14-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    You're using a V10 for trail riding ?
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster_CT View Post
    I am, with a stiffer spring than usual. 90 % of my rides are 10 miles or less and as I'm not staying as thin as i was when younger, I like the weight, at least to a point, for more exercise relative to what I would get with a true trail bike.

It pedals really well and Its more fun than just putting weight in a camelback for the exercise. It makes me smile every time I ride, and that, for me is the bottom line. I also have a nice hardtail, but hardly ever ride it.

Plus, I have the option to do DH vacations...

If you read Mac in Mountain Bike Action, apparently, I am now the enemy.
    That's awesome.
    I love riding my big bike anywhere I can find even short downhills. It's always worth the work to get there. One of my funnest days of riding was Whole Enchilada on my 40lb couch. The DH was worth every pedal stroke up Burro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    That's awesome.
    I love riding my big bike anywhere I can find even short downhills. It's always worth the work to get there. One of my funnest days of riding was Whole Enchilada on my 40lb couch. The DH was worth every pedal stroke up Burro.
    Thanks Roxtar. I've really enjoyed seeing people's bikes in this thread.

This was my project frame from many many years ago. It is a concentric pivot point designed around a 24" rear wheel to get a little better axle path for the rear suspension. It has 6" travel and used V brakes in the rear. I used it with a Marzocchi jr T. fork.

Everyone dismissed it as a downhill bike back in the day, although I primarily did trail riding with it. Now people would call it an allmountain or a trail bike based on its travel.

Its funny how perceptions change over time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-old-frame.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    2007 Ellsworth Rogue: Totem coil, DHX 5.0, Crampons, Hope Hubs, 823's, Code R's, works headset

mtbr member
    But if you read the article, he states that it wasn't an obvious crack and, on a normal day of riding, (not product testing) he probably wouldn't have noticed it. He kept riding it to see what the results would be in a normal situation.
    Based on those results, I think I can find about a go-zillion better ways to spend a couple Gs than on these rims.
    There are safer, smarter and better ways to test something to destruction than to keep using it until it gets destroyed with you in tow. If you do that, you deserve no sympathy, whatever the internal logic used to justify it.

Can't say I disagree about the money though, two wheels or a trip to the alps, hmm...

Braugh Bro.
    Updates to the rig.

Frame: 2006 Large GT Ruckus Idrive 7.
    Fork: 2007 Marzocchi 66 RC2 ETA 180mm
    Shock: 2012 Rockshox vivid r2c (one offset bushing)
    Brakes: 2013 Shimano SLX m675 203mm Icetech Rotors
    Wheelset: Rear Azonic outlaw 150mm, Front Mavic 729 20mm
    Tires: WTB Dissent 2.5 Ghetto Tubeless
    Crankset: Raceface Ride AM 22/32
    Pedals: VP-001 gold
    Shifting: Sram x7
    Stem: Azonic
    Bars: Black Market
    Grips: Oury Lock On
    Seatpost: Tomac?
    Saddle: WTB rocket V

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My latest beauty...2011 Norco Truax 1. #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-p4pb9279659.jpg#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-p4pb9279656.jpg

mtbr member
    #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-p5pb9315895.jpg
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Custom Transition TR250

Been a long time in the making...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-1.jpg  

#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-2.jpg  

#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
    Been a long time in the making...
    Looks great except I'm surprised you're running Rocket Rons on a DH/FR bike? Those are XC race tires. I'd be scared personally. Hopefully you're light and smooth and they hold up for you. I like having beefier, grippier tires for downhill. That's one place that I don't skimp on weight. Those are 470 gram tires. My 2.5 Minion is almost twice that.

Ha, that saddle looks downright painful, but hopefully you won't be using it that often.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Looks great except I'm surprised you're running Rocket Rons on a DH/FR bike? Those are XC race tires. I'd be scared personally. Hopefully you're light and smooth and they hold up for you. I like having beefier, grippier tires for downhill. That's one place that I don't skimp on weight. Those are 470 gram tires. My 2.5 Minion is almost twice that.
    I was thinking along those same lines. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful bike, it just seems to have a bit of split personality disorder. I love those tires; use them on my AM bike, but wouldn't run them on the big bike. Same with the saddle (Is that an AX Lightness?). Obviously, from the scale pic, weight was an issue on this build but wheels, tires, and saddle might not be the best places to pick weight over strength on a DH/FR bike.
    My .02

mtbr member
    Those are 470 gram tires. My 2.5 Minion is almost twice that.
    2.4 Big Bettys are twice that. 2.5 Minions are almost 3X

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I ran a DHF 2.5 (1200gr)front last year with an ardent 2.4(880gr) in the back, and was great, but was trying to see if these are good enough to handle the bike park i ride at, It's almost all hardpack, and These were rated good for hardpack. I also have a set of Racing Ralphs, so might try those too. And if need be, I"ll go back to the DHF and Ardent. The sadle is a Token, all carbon, and is actually really comfortable for the small amount of time I spend sitting down. The sadle and the post together weigh in at 230gr.

mtbr member
    2.4 Big Bettys are twice that. 2.5 Minions are almost 3X
    Yeah, I'm sure they are. Generic statement. I was just going off the current quoted weights on the Maxxis website which I'm sure aren't too accurate. I haven't actually weighed my tires by themselves.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
    I ran a DHF 2.5 (1200gr)front last year with an ardent 2.4(880gr) in the back, and was great, but was trying to see if these are good enough to handle the bike park i ride at, It's almost all hardpack, and These were rated good for hardpack. I also have a set of Racing Ralphs, so might try those too. And if need be, I"ll go back to the DHF and Ardent. The sadle is a Token, all carbon, and is actually really comfortable for the small amount of time I spend sitting down. The sadle and the post together weigh in at 230gr.
    Damn. I think Racing Ralphs would be a bad idea on a downhill bike. If you really want to go for lightweight build, I'd think of going all air suspension rather than throwing some xc race tires on there. Besides, if it's a DH/FR rig, why try for an ultralight build? Why not a burly AM bike in the 30 lb range (Enduro Evo, Nomad, Pivot Firebird all come to mind)? Just curious what your goals are for the build.
    LMB

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!

Damn. I think Racing Ralphs would be downright scary on a downhill bike. If you really want to go for lightweight build, I'd think of going all air suspension rather than throwing some xc race tires on there.
    Yeah man its weird where people decide to count grams.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Awesome for walking the dog around the neighborhood!!

#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-7664.jpg
    2011 SX Trail.

mtbr member

2012 Canfield The One

The newest member of the family. More than happy with it thus far.
    X9 1x10 drivetrain, XT brakes, Float 180/DBair, DT Swiss FR600 rims with Hope hubs, Reverb Stealth, and a few other goodies.

#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-787426d1365130544-2012-one-img_0004.jpg

#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-787428d1365130552-2012-one-img_0006.jpg

#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-787429d1365130558-2012-one-img_0007.jpg

Weighs in at 34.6ish lbs. Not too shabby, especially considering how well it pedals.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Awesome build!
    I've got same brakes, same suspension combo
    Can you post full specs list?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    The newest member of the family. More than happy with it thus far.
    X9 1x10 drivetrain, XT brakes, Float 180/DBair, DT Swiss FR600 rims with Hope hubs, Reverb Stealth, and a few other goodies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	787426d1365130544-2012-one-img_0004.jpg 
Views:	646 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	788487

Name:	787428d1365130552-2012-one-img_0006.jpg 
Views:	529 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	788488

Name:	787429d1365130558-2012-one-img_0007.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	788489

Weighs in at 34.6ish lbs. Not too shabby, especially considering how well it pedals.
    my dream bike! how does it descends? jumps?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just finished building my "Nickel LT" Mini DH bike. I really liked the old Transition Bottlerocket, but couldn't find a new one for sale. I'm a huge fan of the Nickel APP and already own one in 650b flavor, so the "LT" shock mod intrigued me. I over forked the frame by a good bit but I know the risks and am willing to take them. I also used a ZS lower headset cup and a straight steerer fork to cut out about 10mm of A2C height. The end HTA is around 64.7 degrees.

The build consists of a Medium size Nickel frame, 200x57 RS Vivid Air R2C shock, 170mm RS Lyrik RC2DH SA, Works components 1.5 degree angle set, Shimano Zee crank, shifter, rear mech, and brakes, Saint BB, XT 11-36 casette, XT Icetech 180/160 rotors, RaceFace single 32t, MRP AMG chain guide, 50mm Easton Havok stem, 780mm Answer handlebars, Hope Hoops Flow wheels, Continental Trail King 2.4 black chili.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lokomonkey View Post
    my dream bike! how does it descends? jumps?
    It descends like a full DH bike, just a bit more nimble and agile feeling. I haven't taken it off any huge jumps yet, but it feels very stable and predictable on every jump I've been on thus far. A lot of the jump characteristics can be changed with the shock and fork tuning though. Bottom line: It's the best overall bike I've ever ridden, bar none.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Beautiful bikes

mtbr member
    May 2013
    #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-20130506_165714.jpg#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-20130506_165747.jpg#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-20130506_165806.jpg

front suspension marzocchi 66 rcv
    rear suspension fox van rc
    handlebar kore torsion race
    stem kore new b-52
    headset fsa orbit is2
    saddle kore performance t-rail
    seatpost kore zero offset race i-beam
    crankset truvativ hammerschmidt fr 22t
    bottom bracket integrated bb
    chain sram pc-971 with powerlink
    cassette sprocket sram pg-980 11-32t
    shifting lever sram hammerschmidt x0
    brake lever avid elixir 5
    rear derailleur sram x9 short
    front brakes avid elixir 5
    rear brakes avid elixir 5
    rotor avid g3cs 203mm 6-bolts
    pedals crank brothers 5050xx - replaced w/ kore platforms in the pic
    tyre schwalbe muddy mary 2.35
    rear hub rockshox maxle 12x135mm
    wheelset mavic deetraks

mtbr member

Feeler

Thinking about selling the bike I posted in here, either complete or as a frameset.
    Bike is built with best of everything (see specs); does everything very well but I'm moving to a more single purpose ride (Jedi)
    Probably in 2K neighborhood for complete bike

2010 Opus Nelson 1

Fox DHX 5.0
    66RC3 (180mm)
    XTR Shifters / R Der
    Codes
    Hammerschmidt
    KS Lev seatpost
    Fizik Arione saddle
    WTB Frequency i23 / Chris King wheelset for pedaling days.
    Hand built 729 / Hadley wheels, whatever tires you want (I'm a tire whore)
    HT-AO1 or Mallot pedals

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast