Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Thank you, I haven't, but would love to expand my repetiore. Relatively new to the area, and ride bluff point primarily as well as burlinggame in RI. Have also been to millers pond but thats about it so far.

Previously rode a lot in Tucson/Sedona/Prescott, etc.
    Last edited by lobster_CT; 01-13-2013 at 08:43 AM.

RideDirt
    Nice , yea you can find some really good trails in CT .. They are more fr/dh friendly and will make use of that bike ... Check out the CT section on these forums , you should be able to find some nice trails . When i visit my cousin in CT , we usually head out to trumbull for some fun sessions .

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking for more trails and more rugged trails in CT. I'd also like to check out vietnam in MA.

Looked above and saw your ride. Very nice.

My wife has a GT with Mar. 55CR on the front. A very nice fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You're using a V10 for trail riding ?

mtbr member
    I am, with a stiffer spring than usual. 90 % of my rides are 10 miles or less and as I'm not staying as thin as i was when younger, I like the weight, at least to a point, for more exercise relative to what I would get with a true trail bike.

It pedals really well and Its more fun than just putting weight in a camelback for the exercise. It makes me smile every time I ride, and that, for me is the bottom line. I also have a nice hardtail, but hardly ever ride it.

Plus, I have the option to do DH vacations...

If you read Mac in Mountain Bike Action, apparently, I am now the enemy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Awesome V10, like your thinking too! I'm riding my TR250 everywhere myself, can't afford more than one bike at the moment, and TBH wouldn't need a second bike either, the TR does everything so much more fun Its also nice knowing that there'll be no feature that you couldn't ride. In case you spot some fun looking jumps or drop on a ride that is.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pädi View Post
    Awesome V10, like your thinking too! I'm riding my TR250 everywhere myself, can't afford more than one bike at the moment, and TBH wouldn't need a second bike either, the TR does everything so much more fun Its also nice knowing that there'll be no feature that you couldn't ride. In case you spot some fun looking jumps or drop on a ride that is.
    Thanks Padi. I've looked at your frame. It looks like a good one. Enjoy.

2010 Glory custom FR
    lobster_CT, I know carbon fiber is way better for such seattube design than aluminum, but ain't you a bit afraid of snapping ST while using your bike for trail riding?

pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster_CT View Post
    Thanks Padi. I've looked at your frame. It looks like a good one. Enjoy.
    Yeah, it is so much fun, woud recommend it to anyone thinking of buying one

Here's an updated picture of it.

New brakes, tyres, temporary seat post et.c.
    Getting new, wider grips, wider bar and I-beam seat and post for it next week. All from Kore.

Will possibly look like this in a month or so. What do you guys think? Would throw in some purple parts as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1soulrider. Thats a sweet bike man! What parts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    lobster_CT, I know carbon fiber is way better for such seattube design than aluminum, but ain't you a bit afraid of snapping ST while using your bike for trail riding?

Hmmm, I'm meeting SantaCruz's minimum insertion requirement, (maximized insertion in fact) as well as KS's minimum insertion requirements for the dropper post, so who knows? It feels solid and doesn't creak at all. Its a lev 150, and I'll use it at full extension for getting to the trail head, but run it a couple inches lower most of the time on the trail.

Intuitively, I would think a bad "seat landing" from DH jumping would exert more force on the post than trail riding, but I've never seen such a thing calculated mathematically.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it is so much fun, woud recommend it to anyone thinking of buying one

Here's an updated picture of it.

New brakes, tyres, temporary seat post et.c.
    Getting new, wider grips, wider bar and I-beam seat and post for it next week. All from Kore.

Will possibly look like this in a month or so. What do you guys think? Would throw in some purple parts as well.
    Looks nice. My wife scoffs at my eye for color so I'll abstain from comenting there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks nice. My wife scoffs at my eye for color so I'll abstain from comenting there.
    Hah, no problem Thanks though! Wish I would afford those Enve:s some day, Pinkbike's last test on them wasn't that rosey though :S

@AZ-DH, not sure if you meant my bike, but here's the parts list just in case

Brakes: Saints with XTR levers
    Wheels: mavic 823 with hope pro II hubs
    Cranks: Shimano Saint
    Chainring: Shimano Saint 36T (will have to swap it to some 34t as I change the cassette)
    BB: Race Face X-Type Team DH
    Chain: Sram 1091
    Taco: E13 LG1+
    RD: Sram XO
    Shifter: Sram XO
    Seatpost: Syncros AM (soon to be Kore i-beam)
    Grips : Odi Ruffian (Soon some 150mm Superstars)
    Straitline Vertical Wedge stem (heavy as a sin, swapping it for a Kore Repute 35mm)
    Cassette: Sram 1030 11-36 (Works fine, but isn't really compatible with the DH derailleur, so will swap it for a 11-28t DH/road cassette)
    Saddle: WTB Silverado Team (will change it for a Kore distance or i-fly)
    Pedals: Nukeproof Proton Mag-Ti
    Bar: Havoc (will be replaced by a Kore OCD 800mm)
    Fork: 36 Van Kashima 180mm
    Rotors: Hope floating rotors
    Tyres: Minion DH F:s for DH and Fat Alberts for everything else

mtbr member
    True 'Dat. Fingers crossed. Now that tire scheme sounds familiar

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    True 'Dat. Fingers crossed. Now that tire scheme sounds familiar
    Well the article itself isn't bad at all, but the comments..

Brad Walton, the writer of it:
    kev1n- It really is a shame. As a matter of fact, it's BS. As a product tester I find it insulting that a company would claim to have sent me a pre-production prototype without telling me. These rims cost me a separated shoulder. When I wrote the review, these pics were included, but the editor cut them out. What is included is the ACTUAL weight of the wheelset, which is heavier than the company quotes it to be, which means that these 'proto' rims are not any lighter. Trust me, had they told me these were pre-production sample carbon rims for testing, I would never have put them on my bike. Carbon has it's place, which is for race use only. If you ride hard every day, forget about it.

He did ride them to the edge though, and that crash happened after he had cracked it.

They did however tel him it was a lighter, WC rim that they sent him, even though it was in a matter of fact 100grams per wheel heavier than the claimed weight of the production ones o_O

//Oh and cool, haven't seen anyone else riding the Fat Alberts Everyone's got either Muddy Mary:s or Hans Damphs. How are you liking 'em? Haven't got a proper feel of 'em yet, as they've only touched snow and ice

mtbr member
    My rear wheel when I built it is 1053 grams assuming my scale is reading correctly. I built it with CK hubs and the spoke lengths Enve reccommended. I'm running the stainless drive shell though. I'm not sure where that puts me relative to claimed weights/prototypes/production runs etc.

I rode in AZ years ago, and was stuck on LI for about 10 years without riding, and am now getting back into it in CT, so from my point of view the Fat Alberts are awesome relative to what I used to use back in the day. With the snakeskin (folding bead model) and stans, I haven't had a flat yet in a season and a half or so of riding. The low tire pressure with the tubeless set up seemed astoundingly good when I first started using it not being used to that.

The back tire wears out (pace star compound) faster than I would like for the price, but I'm happy enough, I got a fresh set of them. Sorry but I don't have much time on other tires to give any sort of useful review or comparison.

My choice for the minion DHFs front and rear for DH is based on going through people's opinions here and at ridemonkey. No first hand experience there.

My wife rides the Hans Damphs and likes them. After a bad crash and a dislocated elbow on narrower tires, she feels a lot safer on the wider Hans Damphs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-rear.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah, I'm no tyre expert either, I usually just ride one pair until they wear and then look for a new pair.

With this bike, I started off with the Minions, they felt pretty slow and bad rolling during longer trips though, so I wanted some lighter tyres.
    Was going to buy 2,35 HD:s, would've lost 800grams with 'em. Stumbled across these used, unused FA:s though, and bought them just 'cause they were so cheap.
    Saved only 400 grams with these, but the bike sure feels a lot faster and lighter now, so much easier to manual, and didn't lose any on the tyre width either. So I'm quite happy with them too, so far.

And damn that's a crazy build. Only things I would change on it are just because of personal preferences.

mtbr member
    thanks again for the complements. signing off now for 0 dark 30. nice chatting with you. have a good evening and good luck with the FA's on solid footing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks! Yeah, going to sleep too. Good luck with the Enves and seat post yourself

mtbr member
    My rear wheel when I built it is 1053 grams assuming my scale is reading correctly. I built it with CK hubs and the spoke lengths Enve reccommended. I'm running the stainless drive shell though. I'm not sure where that puts me relative to claimed weights/prototypes/production runs etc.

I rode in AZ years ago, and was stuck on LI for about 10 years without riding, and am now getting back into it in CT, so from my point of view the Fat Alberts are awesome relative to what I used to use back in the day. With the snakeskin (folding bead model) and stans, I haven't had a flat yet in a season and a half or so of riding. The low tire pressure with the tubeless set up seemed astoundingly good when I first started using it not being used to that.

The back tire wears out (pace star compound) faster than I would like for the price, but I'm happy enough, I got a fresh set of them. Sorry but I don't have much time on other tires to give any sort of useful review or comparison.

My choice for the minion DHFs front and rear for DH is based on going through people's opinions here and at ridemonkey. No first hand experience there.

My wife rides the Hans Damphs and likes them. After a bad crash and a dislocated elbow on narrower tires, she feels a lot safer on the wider Hans Damphs.

Over 1kg rear with a carbon rim? That is heavy.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

2010 Glory custom FR
    Hmmm, I'm meeting SantaCruz's minimum insertion requirement, (maximized insertion in fact) as well as KS's minimum insertion requirements for the dropper post, so who knows? It feels solid and doesn't creak at all. Its a lev 150, and I'll use it at full extension for getting to the trail head, but run it a couple inches lower most of the time on the trail.

Intuitively, I would think a bad "seat landing" from DH jumping would exert more force on the post than trail riding, but I've never seen such a thing calculated mathematically.
    Meeting manufacturers requirements is one thing, applying quite big force trough long leverage on fully extended SP while just riding up and down, is another thing.
    I'd be cautious if I were you.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    He did ride them to the edge though, and that crash happened after he had cracked it.

They did however tel him it was a lighter, WC rim that they sent him, even though it was in a matter of fact 100grams per wheel heavier than the claimed weight of the production ones o_O(
    Don't think anyone comes out of that one well.

Mr Walton kept riding (hard) on a wheel he knew was cracked, cased a jump, obliterated it and then starts mouthing off that it 'cost him a separated shoulder,' when the reality is he was a victim of his own stupidity.

Enve apparently sent out a duff rim, then instead of just admitting that 'sh|t, that's not meant to happen,' they start farting out lame excuses about prototypes and first ever failures.

I don't think that picture's fair on Enve though, since it took a guy hanging up on a rim he knew was cracked already to make it happen, any sane person would have just rolled home and gone for the warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    Meeting manufacturers requirements is one thing, applying quite big force trough long leverage on fully extended SP while just riding up and down, is another thing.
    I'd be cautious if I were you.
    Fair enough. If I crack the frame at the seat post, I'll post it for the general knowledge base. I found this pic indicating at least one other person has tried it, although perhaps not to the same extent. I don't know how much the fox post extends. The website this pic came from says this was Cedric Gracia's bike.

I seem to recall reading, but can't find the website about SC stressing how strong the frame was at that point despite looking relatively "unsupported".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-1332410390885-5s2j9ui76hjh-670-75.jpg  

2010 Glory custom FR
    Don't get me wrong, I am tempted to do the same on my Glory, as it is soon gonna be 14,35kg DH (light?) bike. Even though, ST angle on my bike is much steeper, than it is on your (real not claimed 60,5* vs. 57*), due to the fact, that Glory is aluminum bike, I don't dare to do this. Those angle goes even more extreme when you sit on the saddle.

What factory sponsored rider can do to their bikes, can't/shouldn't be transferred to real life
    No manufacturer will specify that. But, if complete DH bike comes with SP precut to i.e. 280mm, you should not use longer, IMO. If you need longer SP, it means you need bigger frame.

(edit: ST angles fixed)
    Last edited by frango; 01-14-2013 at 02:27 AM.
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Don't think anyone comes out of that one well.

Mr Walton kept riding (hard) on a wheel he knew was cracked, cased a jump, obliterated it and then starts mouthing off that it 'cost him a separated shoulder,' when the reality is he was a victim of his own stupidity.

Enve apparently sent out a duff rim, then instead of just admitting that 'sh|t, that's not meant to happen,' they start farting out lame excuses about prototypes and first ever failures.

I don't think that picture's fair on Enve though, since it took a guy hanging up on a rim he knew was cracked already to make it happen, any sane person would have just rolled home and gone for the warranty.
    Yeah, I know. Stupidity from both ends. It'd all be fine, but Enve claiming that it was a lighter WC rim, even though the wheelset was something like 200g more than claimed, is really disappointing though.
    Wouldn't want to buy anything from such a company, not because of the broken rim, but that awful excuse.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast