Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 551 to 600 of 628
  1. #551
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lobster_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    Thank you, I haven't, but would love to expand my repetiore. Relatively new to the area, and ride bluff point primarily as well as burlinggame in RI. Have also been to millers pond but thats about it so far.

    Previously rode a lot in Tucson/Sedona/Prescott, etc.
    Last edited by lobster_CT; 01-13-2013 at 08:43 AM.

  2. #552
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,252
    Nice , yea you can find some really good trails in CT .. They are more fr/dh friendly and will make use of that bike ... Check out the CT section on these forums , you should be able to find some nice trails . When i visit my cousin in CT , we usually head out to trumbull for some fun sessions .

  3. #553
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lobster_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking for more trails and more rugged trails in CT. I'd also like to check out vietnam in MA.


    Looked above and saw your ride. Very nice.

    My wife has a GT with Mar. 55CR on the front. A very nice fork.

  4. #554
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    592
    You're using a V10 for trail riding ?

  5. #555
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lobster_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    I am, with a stiffer spring than usual. 90 % of my rides are 10 miles or less and as I'm not staying as thin as i was when younger, I like the weight, at least to a point, for more exercise relative to what I would get with a true trail bike.

    It pedals really well and Its more fun than just putting weight in a camelback for the exercise. It makes me smile every time I ride, and that, for me is the bottom line. I also have a nice hardtail, but hardly ever ride it.

    Plus, I have the option to do DH vacations...


    If you read Mac in Mountain Bike Action, apparently, I am now the enemy.

  6. #556
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    186
    Awesome V10, like your thinking too! I'm riding my TR250 everywhere myself, can't afford more than one bike at the moment, and TBH wouldn't need a second bike either, the TR does everything so much more fun Its also nice knowing that there'll be no feature that you couldn't ride. In case you spot some fun looking jumps or drop on a ride that is.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

  7. #557
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lobster_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Pädi View Post
    Awesome V10, like your thinking too! I'm riding my TR250 everywhere myself, can't afford more than one bike at the moment, and TBH wouldn't need a second bike either, the TR does everything so much more fun Its also nice knowing that there'll be no feature that you couldn't ride. In case you spot some fun looking jumps or drop on a ride that is.
    Thanks Padi. I've looked at your frame. It looks like a good one. Enjoy.

  8. #558
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    lobster_CT, I know carbon fiber is way better for such seattube design than aluminum, but ain't you a bit afraid of snapping ST while using your bike for trail riding?

    pozdro
    frango

  9. #559
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster_CT View Post
    Thanks Padi. I've looked at your frame. It looks like a good one. Enjoy.
    Yeah, it is so much fun, woud recommend it to anyone thinking of buying one

    Here's an updated picture of it.



    New brakes, tyres, temporary seat post et.c.
    Getting new, wider grips, wider bar and I-beam seat and post for it next week. All from Kore.



    Will possibly look like this in a month or so. What do you guys think? Would throw in some purple parts as well.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

  10. #560
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    7
    1soulrider. Thats a sweet bike man! What parts?

  11. #561
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lobster_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    lobster_CT, I know carbon fiber is way better for such seattube design than aluminum, but ain't you a bit afraid of snapping ST while using your bike for trail riding?


    Hmmm, I'm meeting SantaCruz's minimum insertion requirement, (maximized insertion in fact) as well as KS's minimum insertion requirements for the dropper post, so who knows? It feels solid and doesn't creak at all. Its a lev 150, and I'll use it at full extension for getting to the trail head, but run it a couple inches lower most of the time on the trail.

    Intuitively, I would think a bad "seat landing" from DH jumping would exert more force on the post than trail riding, but I've never seen such a thing calculated mathematically.

  12. #562
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lobster_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Pädi View Post
    Yeah, it is so much fun, woud recommend it to anyone thinking of buying one

    Here's an updated picture of it.



    New brakes, tyres, temporary seat post et.c.
    Getting new, wider grips, wider bar and I-beam seat and post for it next week. All from Kore.



    Will possibly look like this in a month or so. What do you guys think? Would throw in some purple parts as well.
    Looks nice. My wife scoffs at my eye for color so I'll abstain from comenting there.

  13. #563
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster_CT View Post
    Looks nice. My wife scoffs at my eye for color so I'll abstain from comenting there.
    Hah, no problem Thanks though! Wish I would afford those Enve:s some day, Pinkbike's last test on them wasn't that rosey though :S

    @AZ-DH, not sure if you meant my bike, but here's the parts list just in case

    Brakes: Saints with XTR levers
    Wheels: mavic 823 with hope pro II hubs
    Cranks: Shimano Saint
    Chainring: Shimano Saint 36T (will have to swap it to some 34t as I change the cassette)
    BB: Race Face X-Type Team DH
    Chain: Sram 1091
    Taco: E13 LG1+
    RD: Sram XO
    Shifter: Sram XO
    Seatpost: Syncros AM (soon to be Kore i-beam)
    Grips : Odi Ruffian (Soon some 150mm Superstars)
    Straitline Vertical Wedge stem (heavy as a sin, swapping it for a Kore Repute 35mm)
    Cassette: Sram 1030 11-36 (Works fine, but isn't really compatible with the DH derailleur, so will swap it for a 11-28t DH/road cassette)
    Saddle: WTB Silverado Team (will change it for a Kore distance or i-fly)
    Pedals: Nukeproof Proton Mag-Ti
    Bar: Havoc (will be replaced by a Kore OCD 800mm)
    Fork: 36 Van Kashima 180mm
    Rotors: Hope floating rotors
    Tyres: Minion DH F:s for DH and Fat Alberts for everything else
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

  14. #564
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lobster_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    True 'Dat. Fingers crossed. Now that tire scheme sounds familiar

  15. #565
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster_CT View Post
    True 'Dat. Fingers crossed. Now that tire scheme sounds familiar
    Well the article itself isn't bad at all, but the comments..

    Brad Walton, the writer of it:
    kev1n- It really is a shame. As a matter of fact, it's BS. As a product tester I find it insulting that a company would claim to have sent me a pre-production prototype without telling me. These rims cost me a separated shoulder. When I wrote the review, these pics were included, but the editor cut them out. What is included is the ACTUAL weight of the wheelset, which is heavier than the company quotes it to be, which means that these 'proto' rims are not any lighter. Trust me, had they told me these were pre-production sample carbon rims for testing, I would never have put them on my bike. Carbon has it's place, which is for race use only. If you ride hard every day, forget about it.



    He did ride them to the edge though, and that crash happened after he had cracked it.

    They did however tel him it was a lighter, WC rim that they sent him, even though it was in a matter of fact 100grams per wheel heavier than the claimed weight of the production ones o_O


    //Oh and cool, haven't seen anyone else riding the Fat Alberts Everyone's got either Muddy Mary:s or Hans Damphs. How are you liking 'em? Haven't got a proper feel of 'em yet, as they've only touched snow and ice
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

  16. #566
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lobster_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    My rear wheel when I built it is 1053 grams assuming my scale is reading correctly. I built it with CK hubs and the spoke lengths Enve reccommended. I'm running the stainless drive shell though. I'm not sure where that puts me relative to claimed weights/prototypes/production runs etc.


    I rode in AZ years ago, and was stuck on LI for about 10 years without riding, and am now getting back into it in CT, so from my point of view the Fat Alberts are awesome relative to what I used to use back in the day. With the snakeskin (folding bead model) and stans, I haven't had a flat yet in a season and a half or so of riding. The low tire pressure with the tubeless set up seemed astoundingly good when I first started using it not being used to that.

    The back tire wears out (pace star compound) faster than I would like for the price, but I'm happy enough, I got a fresh set of them. Sorry but I don't have much time on other tires to give any sort of useful review or comparison.

    My choice for the minion DHFs front and rear for DH is based on going through people's opinions here and at ridemonkey. No first hand experience there.

    My wife rides the Hans Damphs and likes them. After a bad crash and a dislocated elbow on narrower tires, she feels a lot safer on the wider Hans Damphs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-rear.jpg  


  17. #567
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    186
    Yeah, I'm no tyre expert either, I usually just ride one pair until they wear and then look for a new pair.

    With this bike, I started off with the Minions, they felt pretty slow and bad rolling during longer trips though, so I wanted some lighter tyres.
    Was going to buy 2,35 HD:s, would've lost 800grams with 'em. Stumbled across these used, unused FA:s though, and bought them just 'cause they were so cheap.
    Saved only 400 grams with these, but the bike sure feels a lot faster and lighter now, so much easier to manual, and didn't lose any on the tyre width either. So I'm quite happy with them too, so far.

    And damn that's a crazy build. Only things I would change on it are just because of personal preferences.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

  18. #568
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lobster_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    thanks again for the complements. signing off now for 0 dark 30. nice chatting with you. have a good evening and good luck with the FA's on solid footing.

  19. #569
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    186
    Thanks! Yeah, going to sleep too. Good luck with the Enves and seat post yourself
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

  20. #570
    mtbr member
    Reputation: norbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster_CT View Post
    My rear wheel when I built it is 1053 grams assuming my scale is reading correctly. I built it with CK hubs and the spoke lengths Enve reccommended. I'm running the stainless drive shell though. I'm not sure where that puts me relative to claimed weights/prototypes/production runs etc.


    I rode in AZ years ago, and was stuck on LI for about 10 years without riding, and am now getting back into it in CT, so from my point of view the Fat Alberts are awesome relative to what I used to use back in the day. With the snakeskin (folding bead model) and stans, I haven't had a flat yet in a season and a half or so of riding. The low tire pressure with the tubeless set up seemed astoundingly good when I first started using it not being used to that.

    The back tire wears out (pace star compound) faster than I would like for the price, but I'm happy enough, I got a fresh set of them. Sorry but I don't have much time on other tires to give any sort of useful review or comparison.

    My choice for the minion DHFs front and rear for DH is based on going through people's opinions here and at ridemonkey. No first hand experience there.

    My wife rides the Hans Damphs and likes them. After a bad crash and a dislocated elbow on narrower tires, she feels a lot safer on the wider Hans Damphs.

    Over 1kg rear with a carbon rim? That is heavy.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

  21. #571
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster_CT View Post
    Hmmm, I'm meeting SantaCruz's minimum insertion requirement, (maximized insertion in fact) as well as KS's minimum insertion requirements for the dropper post, so who knows? It feels solid and doesn't creak at all. Its a lev 150, and I'll use it at full extension for getting to the trail head, but run it a couple inches lower most of the time on the trail.

    Intuitively, I would think a bad "seat landing" from DH jumping would exert more force on the post than trail riding, but I've never seen such a thing calculated mathematically.
    Meeting manufacturers requirements is one thing, applying quite big force trough long leverage on fully extended SP while just riding up and down, is another thing.
    I'd be cautious if I were you.
    pozdro
    frango

  22. #572
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Pädi View Post
    He did ride them to the edge though, and that crash happened after he had cracked it.

    They did however tel him it was a lighter, WC rim that they sent him, even though it was in a matter of fact 100grams per wheel heavier than the claimed weight of the production ones o_O(
    Don't think anyone comes out of that one well.

    Mr Walton kept riding (hard) on a wheel he knew was cracked, cased a jump, obliterated it and then starts mouthing off that it 'cost him a separated shoulder,' when the reality is he was a victim of his own stupidity.

    Enve apparently sent out a duff rim, then instead of just admitting that 'sh|t, that's not meant to happen,' they start farting out lame excuses about prototypes and first ever failures.

    I don't think that picture's fair on Enve though, since it took a guy hanging up on a rim he knew was cracked already to make it happen, any sane person would have just rolled home and gone for the warranty.

  23. #573
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lobster_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by frango View Post
    Meeting manufacturers requirements is one thing, applying quite big force trough long leverage on fully extended SP while just riding up and down, is another thing.
    I'd be cautious if I were you.
    Fair enough. If I crack the frame at the seat post, I'll post it for the general knowledge base. I found this pic indicating at least one other person has tried it, although perhaps not to the same extent. I don't know how much the fox post extends. The website this pic came from says this was Cedric Gracia's bike.

    I seem to recall reading, but can't find the website about SC stressing how strong the frame was at that point despite looking relatively "unsupported".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-1332410390885-5s2j9ui76hjh-670-75.jpg  


  24. #574
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    Don't get me wrong, I am tempted to do the same on my Glory, as it is soon gonna be 14,35kg DH (light?) bike. Even though, ST angle on my bike is much steeper, than it is on your (real not claimed 60,5* vs. 57*), due to the fact, that Glory is aluminum bike, I don't dare to do this. Those angle goes even more extreme when you sit on the saddle.

    What factory sponsored rider can do to their bikes, can't/shouldn't be transferred to real life
    No manufacturer will specify that. But, if complete DH bike comes with SP precut to i.e. 280mm, you should not use longer, IMO. If you need longer SP, it means you need bigger frame.

    (edit: ST angles fixed)
    Last edited by frango; 01-14-2013 at 02:27 AM.
    pozdro
    frango

  25. #575
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Don't think anyone comes out of that one well.

    Mr Walton kept riding (hard) on a wheel he knew was cracked, cased a jump, obliterated it and then starts mouthing off that it 'cost him a separated shoulder,' when the reality is he was a victim of his own stupidity.

    Enve apparently sent out a duff rim, then instead of just admitting that 'sh|t, that's not meant to happen,' they start farting out lame excuses about prototypes and first ever failures.

    I don't think that picture's fair on Enve though, since it took a guy hanging up on a rim he knew was cracked already to make it happen, any sane person would have just rolled home and gone for the warranty.
    Yeah, I know. Stupidity from both ends. It'd all be fine, but Enve claiming that it was a lighter WC rim, even though the wheelset was something like 200g more than claimed, is really disappointing though.
    Wouldn't want to buy anything from such a company, not because of the broken rim, but that awful excuse.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

  26. #576
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roxtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Don't think anyone comes out of that one well.

    Mr Walton kept riding (hard) on a wheel he knew was cracked, cased a jump, obliterated it and then starts mouthing off that it 'cost him a separated shoulder,' when the reality is he was a victim of his own stupidity.

    Enve apparently sent out a duff rim, then instead of just admitting that 'sh|t, that's not meant to happen,' they start farting out lame excuses about prototypes and first ever failures.

    I don't think that picture's fair on Enve though, since it took a guy hanging up on a rim he knew was cracked already to make it happen, any sane person would have just rolled home and gone for the warranty.
    But if you read the article, he states that it wasn't an obvious crack and, on a normal day of riding, (not product testing) he probably wouldn't have noticed it. He kept riding it to see what the results would be in a normal situation.
    Based on those results, I think I can find about a go-zillion better ways to spend a couple Gs than on these rims.
    Last edited by roxtar; 01-14-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

  27. #577
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roxtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    You're using a V10 for trail riding ?
    Quote Originally Posted by lobster_CT View Post
    I am, with a stiffer spring than usual. 90 % of my rides are 10 miles or less and as I'm not staying as thin as i was when younger, I like the weight, at least to a point, for more exercise relative to what I would get with a true trail bike.

    It pedals really well and Its more fun than just putting weight in a camelback for the exercise. It makes me smile every time I ride, and that, for me is the bottom line. I also have a nice hardtail, but hardly ever ride it.

    Plus, I have the option to do DH vacations...


    If you read Mac in Mountain Bike Action, apparently, I am now the enemy.
    That's awesome.
    I love riding my big bike anywhere I can find even short downhills. It's always worth the work to get there. One of my funnest days of riding was Whole Enchilada on my 40lb couch. The DH was worth every pedal stroke up Burro.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

  28. #578
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lobster_CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    That's awesome.
    I love riding my big bike anywhere I can find even short downhills. It's always worth the work to get there. One of my funnest days of riding was Whole Enchilada on my 40lb couch. The DH was worth every pedal stroke up Burro.
    Thanks Roxtar. I've really enjoyed seeing people's bikes in this thread.

    This was my project frame from many many years ago. It is a concentric pivot point designed around a 24" rear wheel to get a little better axle path for the rear suspension. It has 6" travel and used V brakes in the rear. I used it with a Marzocchi jr T. fork.

    Everyone dismissed it as a downhill bike back in the day, although I primarily did trail riding with it. Now people would call it an allmountain or a trail bike based on its travel.

    Its funny how perceptions change over time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-old-frame.jpg  


  29. #579
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16
    2007 Ellsworth Rogue: Totem coil, DHX 5.0, Crampons, Hope Hubs, 823's, Code R's, works headset





  30. #580
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,651
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    But if you read the article, he states that it wasn't an obvious crack and, on a normal day of riding, (not product testing) he probably wouldn't have noticed it. He kept riding it to see what the results would be in a normal situation.
    Based on those results, I think I can find about a go-zillion better ways to spend a couple Gs than on these rims.
    There are safer, smarter and better ways to test something to destruction than to keep using it until it gets destroyed with you in tow. If you do that, you deserve no sympathy, whatever the internal logic used to justify it.

    Can't say I disagree about the money though, two wheels or a trip to the alps, hmm...

  31. #581
    Braugh Bro.
    Reputation: Buggyr333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    443
    Updates to the rig.



    Frame: 2006 Large GT Ruckus Idrive 7.
    Fork: 2007 Marzocchi 66 RC2 ETA 180mm
    Shock: 2012 Rockshox vivid r2c (one offset bushing)
    Brakes: 2013 Shimano SLX m675 203mm Icetech Rotors
    Wheelset: Rear Azonic outlaw 150mm, Front Mavic 729 20mm
    Tires: WTB Dissent 2.5 Ghetto Tubeless
    Crankset: Raceface Ride AM 22/32
    Pedals: VP-001 gold
    Shifting: Sram x7
    Stem: Azonic
    Bars: Black Market
    Grips: Oury Lock On
    Seatpost: Tomac?
    Saddle: WTB rocket V

  32. #582
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    369
    My latest beauty...2011 Norco Truax 1. #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-p4pb9279659.jpg#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-p4pb9279656.jpg

  33. #583
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,228
    #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-p5pb9315895.jpg
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  34. #584
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3

    Custom Transition TR250

    Been a long time in the making...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-1.jpg  

    #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-2.jpg  

    #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-3.jpg  


  35. #585
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
    Been a long time in the making...
    Looks great except I'm surprised you're running Rocket Rons on a DH/FR bike? Those are XC race tires. I'd be scared personally. Hopefully you're light and smooth and they hold up for you. I like having beefier, grippier tires for downhill. That's one place that I don't skimp on weight. Those are 470 gram tires. My 2.5 Minion is almost twice that.

    Ha, that saddle looks downright painful, but hopefully you won't be using it that often.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  36. #586
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roxtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Looks great except I'm surprised you're running Rocket Rons on a DH/FR bike? Those are XC race tires. I'd be scared personally. Hopefully you're light and smooth and they hold up for you. I like having beefier, grippier tires for downhill. That's one place that I don't skimp on weight. Those are 470 gram tires. My 2.5 Minion is almost twice that.
    I was thinking along those same lines. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful bike, it just seems to have a bit of split personality disorder. I love those tires; use them on my AM bike, but wouldn't run them on the big bike. Same with the saddle (Is that an AX Lightness?). Obviously, from the scale pic, weight was an issue on this build but wheels, tires, and saddle might not be the best places to pick weight over strength on a DH/FR bike.
    My .02
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

  37. #587
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roxtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Those are 470 gram tires. My 2.5 Minion is almost twice that.
    2.4 Big Bettys are twice that. 2.5 Minions are almost 3X
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

  38. #588
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3
    I ran a DHF 2.5 (1200gr)front last year with an ardent 2.4(880gr) in the back, and was great, but was trying to see if these are good enough to handle the bike park i ride at, It's almost all hardpack, and These were rated good for hardpack. I also have a set of Racing Ralphs, so might try those too. And if need be, I"ll go back to the DHF and Ardent. The sadle is a Token, all carbon, and is actually really comfortable for the small amount of time I spend sitting down. The sadle and the post together weigh in at 230gr.

  39. #589
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    2.4 Big Bettys are twice that. 2.5 Minions are almost 3X
    Yeah, I'm sure they are. Generic statement. I was just going off the current quoted weights on the Maxxis website which I'm sure aren't too accurate. I haven't actually weighed my tires by themselves.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  40. #590
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
    I ran a DHF 2.5 (1200gr)front last year with an ardent 2.4(880gr) in the back, and was great, but was trying to see if these are good enough to handle the bike park i ride at, It's almost all hardpack, and These were rated good for hardpack. I also have a set of Racing Ralphs, so might try those too. And if need be, I"ll go back to the DHF and Ardent. The sadle is a Token, all carbon, and is actually really comfortable for the small amount of time I spend sitting down. The sadle and the post together weigh in at 230gr.
    Damn. I think Racing Ralphs would be a bad idea on a downhill bike. If you really want to go for lightweight build, I'd think of going all air suspension rather than throwing some xc race tires on there. Besides, if it's a DH/FR rig, why try for an ultralight build? Why not a burly AM bike in the 30 lb range (Enduro Evo, Nomad, Pivot Firebird all come to mind)? Just curious what your goals are for the build.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  41. #591
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,841

    Re: #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!

    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Damn. I think Racing Ralphs would be downright scary on a downhill bike. If you really want to go for lightweight build, I'd think of going all air suspension rather than throwing some xc race tires on there.
    Yeah man its weird where people decide to count grams.


    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

  42. #592
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    102
    Awesome for walking the dog around the neighborhood!!

    #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-7664.jpg
    2011 SX Trail.

  43. #593
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charging_rhinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,837

    2012 Canfield The One

    The newest member of the family. More than happy with it thus far.
    X9 1x10 drivetrain, XT brakes, Float 180/DBair, DT Swiss FR600 rims with Hope hubs, Reverb Stealth, and a few other goodies.

    #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-787426d1365130544-2012-one-img_0004.jpg

    #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-787428d1365130552-2012-one-img_0006.jpg

    #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-787429d1365130558-2012-one-img_0007.jpg

    Weighs in at 34.6ish lbs. Not too shabby, especially considering how well it pedals.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

  44. #594
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    Awesome build!
    I've got same brakes, same suspension combo
    Can you post full specs list?
    pozdro
    frango

  45. #595
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    The newest member of the family. More than happy with it thus far.
    X9 1x10 drivetrain, XT brakes, Float 180/DBair, DT Swiss FR600 rims with Hope hubs, Reverb Stealth, and a few other goodies.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	787426d1365130544-2012-one-img_0004.jpg 
Views:	900 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	788487

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	787428d1365130552-2012-one-img_0006.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	788488

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	787429d1365130558-2012-one-img_0007.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	788489

    Weighs in at 34.6ish lbs. Not too shabby, especially considering how well it pedals.
    my dream bike! how does it descends? jumps?

  46. #596
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    267
    I just finished building my "Nickel LT" Mini DH bike. I really liked the old Transition Bottlerocket, but couldn't find a new one for sale. I'm a huge fan of the Nickel APP and already own one in 650b flavor, so the "LT" shock mod intrigued me. I over forked the frame by a good bit but I know the risks and am willing to take them. I also used a ZS lower headset cup and a straight steerer fork to cut out about 10mm of A2C height. The end HTA is around 64.7 degrees.







    The build consists of a Medium size Nickel frame, 200x57 RS Vivid Air R2C shock, 170mm RS Lyrik RC2DH SA, Works components 1.5 degree angle set, Shimano Zee crank, shifter, rear mech, and brakes, Saint BB, XT 11-36 casette, XT Icetech 180/160 rotors, RaceFace single 32t, MRP AMG chain guide, 50mm Easton Havok stem, 780mm Answer handlebars, Hope Hoops Flow wheels, Continental Trail King 2.4 black chili.

  47. #597
    mtbr member
    Reputation: charging_rhinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,837
    Quote Originally Posted by lokomonkey View Post
    my dream bike! how does it descends? jumps?
    It descends like a full DH bike, just a bit more nimble and agile feeling. I haven't taken it off any huge jumps yet, but it feels very stable and predictable on every jump I've been on thus far. A lot of the jump characteristics can be changed with the shock and fork tuning though. Bottom line: It's the best overall bike I've ever ridden, bar none.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

  48. #598
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1
    Beautiful bikes

  49. #599
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2
    #2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-20130506_165714.jpg#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-20130506_165747.jpg#2: Post your Single Crown DH/FR beauties!-20130506_165806.jpg


    front suspension marzocchi 66 rcv
    rear suspension fox van rc
    handlebar kore torsion race
    stem kore new b-52
    headset fsa orbit is2
    saddle kore performance t-rail
    seatpost kore zero offset race i-beam
    crankset truvativ hammerschmidt fr 22t
    bottom bracket integrated bb
    chain sram pc-971 with powerlink
    cassette sprocket sram pg-980 11-32t
    shifting lever sram hammerschmidt x0
    brake lever avid elixir 5
    rear derailleur sram x9 short
    front brakes avid elixir 5
    rear brakes avid elixir 5
    rotor avid g3cs 203mm 6-bolts
    pedals crank brothers 5050xx - replaced w/ kore platforms in the pic
    tyre schwalbe muddy mary 2.35
    rear hub rockshox maxle 12x135mm
    wheelset mavic deetraks

  50. #600
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roxtar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    756

    Feeler

    Thinking about selling the bike I posted in here, either complete or as a frameset.
    Bike is built with best of everything (see specs); does everything very well but I'm moving to a more single purpose ride (Jedi)
    Probably in 2K neighborhood for complete bike

    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post








    2010 Opus Nelson 1

    Fox DHX 5.0
    66RC3 (180mm)
    XTR Shifters / R Der
    Codes
    Hammerschmidt
    KS Lev seatpost
    Fizik Arione saddle
    WTB Frequency i23 / Chris King wheelset for pedaling days.
    Hand built 729 / Hadley wheels, whatever tires you want (I'm a tire whore)
    HT-AO1 or Mallot pedals
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •