Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

2.5 vs 2.7 tire sizes

I have ridden several 2.5 tires ad I like the maxxis minions the best but my question is what size is best?
    life is short STUNT IT!
    01 VW GTI VR6 12V
    VT V DUBER
    Mongoose Teocali all mountain
    Jamis Exile SS

Locs on Spokez
    2.5" .... the 2.7s" roll slowwwww
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

Moose Member
    i have a 2.7 up front and a 2.5 in the back. i bought the bike used and thats how it came set up. I rode my dads bike (2.5 front and rear) at northstar one time and wasn't as comfortable turning on it, but im not sure its due to tire size... but it could.

mtbr member
    If you're riding downhill (I doubt you'd be riding XC with those tires), 2.7 does make a big difference. I ride the same as moosey with 2.7 in front and 2.5 in back, and I swear those 2.7 minions have a gravitational attraction to the trail. But that's only if you value grip more than RR. They do roll slow but I don't pedal much so I don't mind. Find out what you feel most comfortable with!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStryker
    I got a jump line and a friend ruptured his spleen on one of them, so it is now dubbed the Spleen gap. That's how it goes.

Glad to Be Alive
    it is awesome to roll the 2.7's and get a lot of grip.,....I LOVE THE 2.7 michelins....but I am now rolling the 2.4 Big Betty. I have shaved 3 pounds...think about that and also the bike accelerates faster....start trying to use smaller tires and lean the bike more
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not to go off topic but smt do the bb 2.4 run big?
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JamisonW View Post
    If you're riding downhill (I doubt you'd be riding XC with those tires), 2.7 does make a big difference. I ride the same as moosey with 2.7 in front and 2.5 in back, and I swear those 2.7 minions have a gravitational attraction to the trail. But that's only if you value grip more than RR. They do roll slow but I don't pedal much so I don't mind. Find out what you feel most comfortable with!
    wow you can feel the gravitational pull. actually i sometimes ride a 2.7 in the rear and a 2.5 up front. i get to run low pressure and have better grip both in braking and cornering. i cant feel the gravitational pull. depends on corse. but i never ride a larger front than rear. imho i dont think you ever need to run a 2.7 front unless wet. there is no gain to run such a large front under dry condtions, its in your head. but you will see a difference doing it the other way around.

Locs on Spokez
    Quote Originally Posted by eride1 View Post
    but i never ride a larger front than rear.
    Well you're doing it wrong........

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i remember when people ran 3' nokian tires up front with there zzyzx or hanebrink forks that made no sense. have you ever tried running it the other way around. just give it a try

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    try riding half day with a 2.7 rear and then switch to a 2.5 and see if you feel a difference in the braking power, grip and impact on hits. then try the same for the front another day, you wont feel squat. i dont care that thats been the way for years but with the way corse are built today, this is the future. no doubt its got a slower roll but not by much, you gain more in late braking and faster cornering. most of your weight is in the rear rolling through a burm in fact you front hardly touches the ground. other than off camber or big boulders. please enlighten me to why you run a larger front in today types of corses except for the fact that its old school thinking.

maker of trail
    As to which tire size is best? It really comes down to terrain and personal preference...

Also, the older maxis casings run small (minions, highrollers etc), so their 2.7 is like most peoples 2.5's.

Basically narrow tires can dig deeper into loose/muddy material to find traction on the bottom, wide tires tend to float over soft/loose material due to lower contact pressure.

A narrow tire digging deep, has to displace a lot of material = more rolling resistance in loose terrain.
    wide foot print tire floats over the top, so while it has more friction deforming the tire, this is far out weighed by not having to displace loose material.

Narrow tires that sink into loose material also tend to rail road, ie that in a rut feeling, where as a wide tire with float doesn't do that.

On hard pack a narrow tire has lower rolling resistance.

So yeah, preference... I prefer a wider tire, running RQ 2.4 front and back, not the ridiculous 3.0 gazas from back in the day, they have a place, and its on bikes that ride in snow lol.

mtbr member
    from what i have heard and seen the minions tend to run small but that doesnt worry me so much. I think i will go with the 2.5 does anyone have compound suggestions im thinking a single ply exo 60a in the rear and a stickier dual ply exo 42a in the front?
    life is short STUNT IT!
    01 VW GTI VR6 12V
    VT V DUBER
    Mongoose Teocali all mountain
    Jamis Exile SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    from what i have heard and seen the minions tend to run small but that doesnt worry me so much. I think i will go with the 2.5 does anyone have compound suggestions im thinking a single ply exo 60a in the rear and a stickier dual ply exo 42a in the front?
    60a is the harder compound and does last longer. I have never ridden the 42a, but I'm assuming because its a softer rubber its grippier but doesn't last as long. I know that maxxis does make a 3C tire where the center of the tire is a 60a to give it longer life, and the edges are softer rubbers to give it grip. I've had one for a while and I like it, but its all about what floats your boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStryker
    I got a jump line and a friend ruptured his spleen on one of them, so it is now dubbed the Spleen gap. That's how it goes.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I rode a DHR 2.5 super-tacky for about six weeks last fall, 1-2 days on the weekend only. It was new at the start and shot at the end. Didn't mind as I got it on sale for <20 bones. Worked great, just not a tire for someone looking for a reasonable amount of mileage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    please enlighten me to why you run a larger front in today types of corses except for the fact that its old school thinking.
    Well, let me go get my reading glasses and some fiber but here is my reasoning...
    If you are going hard into a turn (non-bermed) I'd rather have my rear tire break loose first. If the front breaks loose before the rear you go DOWN.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    2.5 front 2.35 rear in most conditions work mint.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by -bb- View Post
    Well, let me go get my reading glasses and some fiber but here is my reasoning...
    If you are going hard into a turn (non-bermed) I'd rather have my rear tire break loose first. If the front breaks loose before the rear you go DOWN.
    well maybe you need to practice more. please dont tell me that you think the .2" wider rear difference is gonna make your front wheel scrub or better yet not allow your back to break loose when you need it to. i'm not trying to be mean, it's just that you dont know what your talking about, especially cause you havent even tried it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    try riding half day with a 2.7 rear and then switch to a 2.5 and see if you feel a difference in the braking power, grip and impact on hits. then try the same for the front another day, you wont feel squat. i dont care that thats been the way for years but with the way corse are built today, this is the future. no doubt its got a slower roll but not by much, you gain more in late braking and faster cornering. most of your weight is in the rear rolling through a burm in fact you front hardly touches the ground. other than off camber or big boulders. please enlighten me to why you run a larger front in today types of corses except for the fact that its old school thinking.
    There is so much wrong with this post. I wouldn't know where to start.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jcook1989 View Post
    There is so much wrong with this post. I wouldn't know where to start.
    oh god another one. your the guy who crosses the street as soon as someone takes a step forward. please let me know whats wrong with it, really. its like the guy who makes remarks about bikes they havent tried.

dirt bikes have wider rears, i know its to help accelerate but doesnt cause the front to was and allows for late braking, same with street bikes the rear is wider and it doesnt offset the cornering. your braking is used hardest in the rear although most of the braking power is up front. you go through more rear tires than you do fronts.
    Last edited by eride1; 06-03-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Come at me bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted1 View Post
    Not to go off topic but smt do the bb 2.4 run big?

I measured mine. from edge to edge of opposing knobies, it was 2.4x", so true to size. It definately looks bigger, but that's because the casings for Schwalbe's are HUGE.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    well maybe you need to practice more. please dont tell me that you think the .2" wider rear difference is gonna make your front wheel scrub or better yet not allow your back to break loose when you need it to. i'm not trying to be mean, it's just that you dont know what your talking about, especially cause you havent even tried it.
    Obviously you've never participated in your own test. it makes a difference

Locs on Spokez
    have you ever tried running it the other way around. just give it a try
    You sit down when you corner don't you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz View Post
    You sit down when you corner don't you?
    yeah thats what i do, youve seen me ride havent you

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I run a 1.50 street tire on the front and a Surly Endomorph 3.7 on the rear cause I like the chopper look.

Locs on Spokez
    Quote Originally Posted by NorKal View Post
    I run a 1.50 street tire on the front and a Surly Endomorph 3.7 on the rear cause I like the chopper look.
    This guy must be from the future

hahahaha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast