mtbr member

180 Float - Std or taper steerer?

It's replacing an '08 Team Boxxer on my Maelstrom (thought I'd be spending more time at lift-assisted parks, who ever thought I'd actually enjoy pedaling this pig on local trails) frame. Which I believe is 44 top and bottom. Correct? I'm leaning towards sacrificing a bit of stiffness with the tapered and going for the standard for adjustability with the head angle. Good thoughts?

biking is fun
    I always though the maelstrom needed a straight 1 1/8th steer tube due to them using their own headset cups. maybe im wrong. Im guessing you would know though.

I prefer a 1 1/8th since it can be used on more frames. Compatible with the most Angleset frame combo's, and they are a lot easier to resale later on. Also I liked 1.5 head tubes so don't support the taper trend

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by romar
    It's replacing an '08 Team Boxxer on my Maelstrom (thought I'd be spending more time at lift-assisted parks, who ever thought I'd actually enjoy pedaling this pig on local trails) frame. Which I believe is 44 top and bottom. Correct? I'm leaning towards sacrificing a bit of stiffness with the tapered and going for the standard for adjustability with the head angle. Good thoughts?

Check your PM!

mtbr member
    With a long travel single crown fork, you want all the stiffness you can get. I'd go with a tapered fork, 1.125 is what grandpa rides. Do you have issues with your headtube angle now? 180 single crown forks have basically the same fork length as a boxxer so the front of your bike isn't going to drop when you switch forks.

Pivotal figure
    Tapered Angleset's exist...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    I always though the maelstrom needed a straight 1 1/8th steer tube due to them using their own headset cups. maybe im wrong. Im guessing you would know though.
    Actually CB, I'm not sure. The only info I found was in an interview with Doug Stuart on MTBGearTech. He said:

The Corsair headtube is the same size as used for other bikes that use Zero Stack type headsets.
    So I'm assuming my headtube is 44/44. I'm replacing the seals in the boxxer this weekend. I guess I'll take the extra steps and yank the headset out of the bike and measure up just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Tapered Angleset's exist...
    In 44/44?

Pivotal figure
    Is the Maelstrom a Semi Integrated HS? I thought it was a full 1.5" steer tube... No 44/44 taper headset from Cane Creek (on their site)....
    BTW, Standard 1.5" is 49.6mm.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Its got what plants crave
    I'd go taper if you have the ability. I do agree that it's harder to resell a tapered fork but whatever. Tapered forks are all over Ebay for cheap.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Tapered forks aren't hard to sell. I took the Fox 32 Talas off my Remedy and sold it for my reserve+ some. It was the OE fork that wasn't used and it went for $650. That was two Decembers ago when Tapered was just coming in to play. I replaced the 32 with a 36 Talas and love it. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member

Confirmed

Measured today. Corsair Maelstrom head tube is 44mm top and bottom.

Interesting turn of events though... Got permission from my lovely wife that I can spend the spring and summer piecing together another bike. So the Float will only be temporary on the Maelstrom. The frames I'm interested in have fat head tubes so the choice is now a no brainer, taper it is.

mtbr member
    Just an update, I went taper. I used a Cane Creek 40.ZS49 bottom cup with the stock Corsair 0 upper cup. Perfect!

2010 Glory custom FR
    Did you have to to ride it, already?
    pozdro
    frango