mtbr member
    Jun 2007

09 Big Hit 3 vs. 09 Perp 2

I'm looking to pick up a new whip for the 09 season, but i got a limited cash flow. so the bikes are between a 09 big hit 3, and an 09 perp 2. Both have there high points a low points to them. so what do you think would be a better choice.
    [SIZE="4"]xterrain[/SIZE] :Modifying a helmet is like double wrapping condoms, more than likely it'll do more harm than good.

Capricious youth...
    I think you'll find that the FSR of the Big Hit is a little more small-bump compliant than the Perp. BUT... the Perp looks amazing, rides well (or so I've heard) and is built by Canondale... who makes fantastic bikes with wonderfully smooth welds.

You can't go wrong either way.
    Meh.

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    I like the look of thed new Bighit. I think it looks like a big SXtrail, but I am sure someone will come through here saying it looks like a demo. It has a similar link on the rear suspension and it has the E2 steerer.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I havent ridden the Big Hit, but the Perp 2 is amazing. Im surprised in doesnt have a bigger following. Its pretty identical to the Judge, the gemoetry is just a bit more suited to downhill.
    The Perps suspension is great. Takes big hits well and it soaked up the small hits. For a freeride bike it pedals amazingly. The only thing i dislike about the perp 2, last years model anyway, were the Juicy 3 Brake.
    Besides I think Canondale has a liftetime or a 10 year warranty, and its handmade in the USA. Go for the Perp its a fantastic bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    From what I looked at on the specs I think the cannondale would be the best choice. Even if they have juicy 3's they are still powerful, but not meant for full blown downhill. I both like that they have RS forks, but sorry I wouldn't know how either of them perform.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by idaho biker 90
    From what I looked at on the specs I think the cannondale would be the best choice. Even if they have juicy 3's they are still powerful, but not meant for full blown downhill. I both like that they have RS forks, but sorry I wouldn't know how either of them perform.
    Yeah the 3's would work o k, but hed be upgrading as soon as possible, and a set of brakes are about 400 dollars for a good set. So its really a shame. Canondale should rather bump up the initial price by 200 and have a good set of brakes on it, stock..

StraightOuttaCompton
    correct me if im wrong, but i thought the only difference between juicy5s and juicy3s was the lever was different shaped or something. but anyway, either bike is great. just depends on what company you like and price and stuff.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    correct me if im wrong, but i thought the only difference between juicy5s and juicy3s was the lever was different shaped or something. but anyway, either bike is great. just depends on what company you like and price and stuff.
    Dont think so. Ridden both on rental bikes so they may just have been in better condition on one, but both times the 3's were worse than 5's ive ridden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Stay away from the perp, I rode one and the thing cornered like a pile of crap, the bike has 19 inch chainstays that only get longer as you go through the travel. The new bighits ride great as well, if I was on a budget that would be the bike I get
    [SIZE="4"]Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hmmm ... might want to look at the geometry on these bikes before deciding:

Perp has a 14.7" BB, 18" Chainstays, and what looks like a high COG ... yuk!

BigHit has 14.37" BB, 16.77" Chainstays, and looks like a relatively low COG.

In my opinion Spesh have the geo on their bikes pretty much dialed and I would be far more worried about the geo than what components came on the bike. You can change components at any time - little bit harder to change the geo.

As always it boils down to you needing to have a ride on both before deciding but if you are going to buy sight unseen I would go the Spesh.

mtbr member
    I own perp 3 and also have raced with it. Don't know about big hit abilities but they are fine bikes.There are more specialized dh bikes on my country dh races than cannondales if that counts anything..But I have changed brakes, chain guide, bar etc. Juicy 3 has decent power but lacks modulation a lot. Original 2r chain guide on the dh race course is ****. First race and chain dropped many times because double ring chain guide.Now lg1 no problems. But frame is good and I like it. It works better on bike parks vs slack dh bikes. I have tried scott dh 10-20 bikes and scott's fr bikes diddn't match perp on handling. Dh10 was fast on dh courses but my taste it was too slack.

Thats true that perp cs is long.It's same as on judge. Maybe high bb isn't good on serious dh racing..And warranty is 3years. But anyway perps suspension works and sucks everything you throw.
    My fleet:
    System six 08
    Moto 1 08
    Jekyll 1000(04)
    Perp 3 (08)

Had R700 (05)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    so i called up my LBS turns out they had both in stock, So i went for a lil test ride. They both felt pretty good till i really started to see what they can do, thats when i noticed that the perp felt way to small in the cockpit even in the xl, while on the other hand that spesh felt right at home under me even in the M. i mean it would be nice to have the totem, but other then that i like the spesh's build list.
    Last edited by XxTHExAGENTxX; 01-03-2009 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Domain is an underrated fork - give it a good go and I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Haven't ridden the Perp, love my '04 Big Hit! Unfortuneately have to part with it to make room for new VP Free. Will post Big Hit for $500 later this month. Frame and rear wheel, size M, scratches but no dents. PM me for details.