mtbr member
    Dec 2006

'08 Coilair or GT sanction 3.0

I have it narrowed down to these two bikes. Rode the Coilair, it felt good but I'm a little skeptical about the magic link. I havn't ridden the sanction but I did ride the force and it felt really solid. Can the sanction handle freeride as good as the Coilair? I'll be riding freeride and all mountain. The weight of either is not a big issue. They are both lighter than my current ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    weight of you? where will you be riding? how big of jumps/drops? both from a lbs?

StraightOuttaCompton
    i would go with te coilair. they are capable of just about everything
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I weigh about 190 with gear. I'll be riding trails and freeride with drops 6-8 ft. to tranny. 8 foot gaps, kickers, table tops some stairs some occasional shuttle runs. I would say 60% freeride, 40% all mountain/ trails. kona from lbs, sanction from local Performance bike. I'm leaning toward the Coilair, I'm just sketchy about the magic link and a flexy bottom bracket.
    Thanks

Professional Troll
    My sanction sees it all, 12+ ft doubles, 1800ft fire road climbs, and 10-15 minute rocky decents. It's takes it all no problem. It feels pretty comfortable in all situations. A bit on the short side for me, but overall pretty great. Id buy one again no question

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Definitely the coilair, 2 of my friends have them and they've had nothing but fun on them, nothing has broken the magic link works great too.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"
    -John F. Kennedy-

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i have a sanction and it is pretty burly. Id say go with the sanction since you still do 40% all mountain riding. the i-drive pedals like a charm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    my roomate has a coilair. The magic link works pretty damn well, and I don't really think theres much you can do to break it. Its pretty simple really. As far as flex, the frame is very stiff.

very very stiff.

At any rate, he rides it everywhere from XC to Northstar and it holds up well on him. I've had a decent amount of runs on it and I'd recommend it.

Glad to Be Alive
    I would go with the more rebutable company....GT comes and goes.....Kona sticks around

the Coiler is a solid bike...basice design that kona been using for over 10 years...because it works and is durable

get the coiler
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I appreciate the input, it's been helpful. I ended up ordering the sanction, I was about to pull the trigger on the coilair but the deal on the sanction was better on the wallet and more tolerable with the wife. Can't wait to get it.