mtbr member

New question here. 07 888 RC2X VA top cap removal

the new 888 RC2X VA has red "caps" on the top of each leg with a rebound and compression "clicker" sitting on the very top.

In order to remove the caps to get to the coils, do I have to unscrew the rebound knob (allen head), then remove it, or do you just turn the red knobs?

The reason I ask is because I took the rebound knob off and discovered a very TINY ball bearing that makes the "click adjustment work" Then I don't know what to expect from there.

Are there detailed instructions anywhere?

Marz manual is horrible as always....
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 "fiddy" for short
    I couldnt find the thread that has some of the Maint manuals for these forks, but if you run a couple of searches for marzocchi Maint manuals you will find what I am talking about.

I downloaded them a while back and if I get on my other computer here in the next day or so I will try to get them posted up for you.

Equal opportunity meanie
    There's a single 2mm Allen bolt that keeps both of those caps secured, just take that out with the washer underneath and BOTH will slide straight up off and you can just use an adjustable box-end to remove the threaded top cap. Just make sure you have the crown pinch bolt loosened and the adjustments are both backed all the way off (and don't lose that fvcking 2mm bolt).

I always just remove that ball bearing altogether for a linear adjustment instead of indexed. Your ideal rebound speed is usually a sweet spot between the adjustments. For some reason those dampers have their entire adjustment range within the span of about 3-4 clicks in the middle of the entire click range anyway.

mtbr member

ball bearing

Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    There's a single 2mm Allen bolt that keeps both of those caps secured, just take that out with the washer underneath and BOTH will slide straight up off and you can just use an adjustable box-end to remove the threaded top cap. Just make sure you have the crown pinch bolt loosened and the adjustments are both backed all the way off (and don't lose that fvcking 2mm bolt).

I always just remove that ball bearing altogether for a linear adjustment instead of indexed. Your ideal rebound speed is usually a sweet spot between the adjustments. For some reason those dampers have their entire adjustment range within the span of about 3-4 clicks in the middle of the entire click range anyway.
    so if I remove the ball bearing from the rebound knob, it will INCREASE my range of adjustment?

mtbr member
    The ball just serves as a click to know the adjustment level.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    so if I remove the ball bearing from the rebound knob, it will INCREASE my range of adjustment?
    Sort of....it will spin linearly instead of indexing but have the same limits at either end.

mtbr member

New question here. updated stupid question...888 adjustment knobs

Sort of....it will spin linearly instead of indexing but have the same limits at either end.
    I just noticed that both red knobs turn approx 20 "clicks" (this is separate from the black rebound and high compression knobs)...or is it??

Are the red clicks further adjustments?

...I'm confused....

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Since were already on the topic anybody know how i would go about removing oil from my 888?

Equal opportunity meanie
    The red knobs turn independently of the black knobs (or if both are turning at the same time only the red one is being adjusted). The red knobs on the top of the legs just compress the spring a little bit by threading downwards when you turn them clockwise - read: makes the fork marginally stiffer. I leave them backed out as they basically don't do ****.

To remove oil from your 888, drop the fork out of the crowns, remove the top caps, turn the fork upside down and cycle the damper a bunch of times. Or, leave it on the bike and remove your wheel and brake caliper and open the footnut at the base of each leg and open the top as well to cycle the fork and get all the oil out. Close the bottom (12mm socket I believe) and pour the right amount of oil back into the top.

mtbr member

red knobs

The red knobs turn independently of the black knobs (or if both are turning at the same time only the red one is being adjusted). The red knobs on the top of the legs just compress the spring a little bit by threading downwards when you turn them clockwise - read: makes the fork marginally stiffer. I leave them backed out as they basically don't do ****.

To remove oil from your 888, drop the fork out of the crowns, remove the top caps, turn the fork upside down and cycle the damper a bunch of times. Or, leave it on the bike and remove your wheel and brake caliper and open the footnut at the base of each leg and open the top as well to cycle the fork and get all the oil out. Close the bottom (12mm socket I believe) and pour the right amount of oil back into the top.
    I too have my red knobs backed off all the way.
    Thanks for the info.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Here is that link I was talking about. Check it out and you can download the Marz Maint manual for the fork that you want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hey thanks alot