mtbr member
    Dec 2007

04 IH SGS-Pro Crank/BB upgrade

My ride is a 2004 Ironhorse SGS-Pro.

I want to upgrade my tired drive train.

Does anyone know BB (width and spindle length) will work for this frame? Someone told me that the sizing was a little different and can limit my choices.

Thanks

Capricious youth...
    I think it's a 73/118 ISIS Gigapipe BB.

I might be wrong, but I believe that's the BB that I ran on my 2004 SGS Pro.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    if it's a 2004 SGS DH pro it has a 100mm BB shell and yes you are rather limited for choice. your options are either ISIS (Nasty), HTII (RaceFace?) or Profile 3pcs.
    each has a specific axle length to the application

mtbr member
    100/145 good luck. They were a great idea, but way ahead of their time and the new standard seems to be the 83bb/150 hub combo. The SGS had a 165 hub. It couldn't even fit in the truing stand! Fahn

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CR4925

I have one on on my SGS and it's given me no problems after a season, still spins like butter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Helps me source a new BB for the rig. Time for a winter breakdown and overhaul. Still a great frame for the age.

And speaking of aged rigs, just picked up a 04 Demo 9 at a deal I could not pass up. Awesome condition. I'll be probing around for tips on that too.

thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I ran a 100mm FSA bottom bracket with Middleburn cranks on mine and never had to touch them in 3 years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    really? every 100mm Platinum DH ISIS BB I ran developed play during the first ride.they span freely for years with the play gradually getting worse and worse - never actually failed as such.

Nuckaman - you must like your meaty frames, the SGS is by far the heaviest frame I've ever had, and I think a demo9 is even heavier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I still have the bb in the frame no plat at all. I've got a new frame now.