mtbr member
    Aug 2004

04 Demo 9 DH vs 04 Banshee Scream?

Question.
    I am Cross Country right now, but I'm considering going on a Downhill Trip. Right now I'm trying to gather information on which bike has the best track record and the least breakage. If you had a choice on either one of these listed above Bike to take on the trip, what would you do?

Or which bike would you take?

thanks bro's.

mtbr member

Demo based on...

the FSR suspension and lifetime frame warranty. Banshee definitely has the edge on the trick factor.

But you didn't mention what type of terrain so it kinda vague.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    you need to give a little more info than that. what kind of terrain do you plan on riding. both bikes are way sick. i would choose a different one depending on what i was going to ride. both bikes are real strong.
    word, but I would get the demo if you gonna be doing more downhill oriented stuff, and banshee fro sheer strength and straight hucking fool.
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    word, but I would get the demo if you gonna be doing more downhill oriented stuff, and banshee fro sheer strength and straight hucking fool.
    i toataly agree...for what its worth, i wish i had both bikes....damn, why wasnt i born wealthy???

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well, here my problem, I live in Texas and there is nothing but cross country man...uphill climbs dude....but there are some downhill short declines as well. Some technical routes, “but no ladders which I really would like to do”…

The bike I ride is Specialized Epic 04 Base Model, avid brakes, brain shock, fork 100M...BUT I turned it back in due to to many Lemmon things happening to the bike right off, but it's all good I got full refund..The guys at the shop are cool..

I am cross-country BUT man I'm seeing all these things on whistler and I meet this guy who went and now I want to get into Downhill/Freeride...but there is NO WHERE FOR ME TO GO IN TEXAS YO.
    The trails I ride have uphill climbs....so bad I have to get off and walk at spots if I don't hit it just right...even then, I have to walk sometimes dude, I wish I could find some place that would be all downhill...but it's all good......TIME TO GET ON A PLANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by malkavian
    Well, here my problem, I live in Texas and there is nothing but cross country man...uphill climbs dude....but there are some downhill short declines as well.

The trails I ride have uphill climbs....so bad I have to get off and walk at spots if I don't hit it just right...even then, I have to walk sometimes dude, I wish I could find some place that would be all downhill...but it's all good......TIME TO GET ON A PLANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think you're lookin' at too much meat. If you have trouble on the climbs now with a trail or XC bike, and you're having to walk, you'll be walking alot more with either of those two bikes.

I think you need somthin' in "light freeride bike" not "balls to the wall freeride bike".

Banshee Chap, Transition DirtBag, SC VPFree, or even a Heckler might suit you better.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    May 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

DUDE!!!!! you do not need a down hill .You need a freeride(Santa cruz,bullit,VPP Free,etc)
    Soyou can do the Xcountry rides and also the down hills.And when you get that WILL BE ALL GOOD.........DUDE...

mtbr member

Agree with most of the responses...

[QUOTE=malkavian]Well, here my problem, I live in Texas and there is nothing but cross country man...uphill climbs dude....but there are some downhill short declines as well. Some technical routes, “but no ladders which I really would like to do”…

...for your terrain, both the Demo 9 & Banshee are probably overkills. A VP-Free, AC-1, Demo 8, SGS Freeride, etc will serve you well in your area and still deliver the goods when you do happen to travel to a bigger park or mountain.

Don't buy a bike for the minority of your riding but for the majority.

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=X-Vert]
    Well, here my problem, I live in Texas and there is nothing but cross country man...uphill climbs dude....but there are some downhill short declines as well. Some technical routes, “but no ladders which I really would like to do”…

...for your terrain, both the Demo 9 & Banshee are probably overkills. A VP-Free, AC-1, Demo 8, SGS Freeride, etc will serve you well in your area and still deliver the goods when you do happen to travel to a bigger park or mountain.

Don't buy a bike for the minority of your riding but for the majority.
    ya,if your only doing a little dh or freeride in your area,then get something lighter.
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Cool, you guys are prolly right.....I should look into those bikes: (VP-Free, AC-1, Demo 8, SGS Freeride).
    I still want to still go to Whistler though...man, I have to check that out even if I stay on the tame stuff. I mean it would take me 4 hours to there and 4 hours back. Heck I could do it in a week-end. I need to hurry up though, cuz it's winding down...
    Yeah, I'll look into these bikes.....

thanks DUDES!!!!!!!!!!!

n00b eternal
    You're in Texas, right? Dude I hope you are talking about flying, cause if you can get there in four hours I want to know what kind of car you are driving...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    P-Free, AC-1, Demo 8, SGS Freeride...these bikes will be just fine at whistler or wherever. bigger isn't always better. In fact, bigger can sometimes be a lot more cumbersome, even if you don't have to go uphill. I'd also check out things like the Yeti AS-X, RM Switch, or even something like a Cove G-spot (with a swinger or 5th shock). Even a freeride hardtail handles things worlds better than an xc hardtail.

Dead Sailor
    Mar 2004
    Just to point out the PAINFULLY obvious... if you have lots of climbs then you also have a lot of descents. They may not be the most killer downhill runs, but they are at least downhill. You've got to start somewhere...

JOSH
    Freeride: To ride and feel free... no matter what you do or where you do it isn't that what it is all about?

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    P-Free, AC-1, Demo 8, SGS Freeride...these bikes will be just fine at whistler or wherever. bigger isn't always better. In fact, bigger can sometimes be a lot more cumbersome, even if you don't have to go uphill. I'd also check out things like the Yeti AS-X, RM Switch, or even something like a Cove G-spot (with a swinger or 5th shock). Even a freeride hardtail handles things worlds better than an xc hardtail.
    Malkavian, all of the bikes mentioned above have all the DH capability that you need, plus you can ride them the other 50 weeks out of the year. Do not be lured into the "I've got to have the biggest baddest ride out there" headspace. I ride an ASX, with a stem and wheel swap, I go from an xc rig to a dh rig in a half hour, and it's a pretty bullet proof reliable frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ezweave
    You're in Texas, right? Dude I hope you are talking about flying, cause if you can get there in four hours I want to know what kind of car you are driving...

OH yeah, I'll be flying.....it's 4 hours one way...I seen on the site that I can rent a 2004 Kona Stab Garbanzo Rental Bike...looks pretty sweet to me...man...

Also, I'm checking into all the Bikes listed one by one to see what strikes me...

thanks for all the great info!!!!

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    why are you buying a DH bike for a trip...just rent a whister bike...

you said it yourself you have nothign to ride...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

There's no app for this.

neither

I ride Whistler and the North Shore. If I were off to Texas for some hot XC, the last thing I would do is buy a good XC bike, because back in BC, there's nowhere here to really utilize that XC geometry. Trail bike yes, XC nope. Unless you race, and I suppose there are a few areas one could do it, but you get my drift I suspect.

Rent one.

And right now it's wet and muddy as he// up there, wait till next year.

Just my .02, Jim

TNC
    noMAD man

Where in Texas are you riding?

Question.
    I am Cross Country right now, but I'm considering going on a Downhill Trip. Right now I'm trying to gather information on which bike has the best track record and the least breakage. If you had a choice on either one of these listed above Bike to take on the trip, what would you do?

Or which bike would you take?

thanks bro's.
    From what I've heard most say here, I'd sure agree that renting an appropriate bike sounds like the best idea for a special trip like that, but where are you normally riding in Texas? I was assuming you're in the east or something like that if an Epic is working out. If you're elsewhere like the central hill country, west Texas, or some of the panhandle area like Palo Duro canyon then another bike might be in order for the rocky, up-and-down terrain there. Even our easier trails are rocky enough to want at least a 5" bike, and now there are some good 6" front and rear all-around bikes available that you could ride just about about anywhere in the world. The bikes you mentioned are fairly condition specific and are as heavy as heck. I'd definitely go with the rental option if you're determined to ride one of these at a ski location. On the other hand, I don't like renting stuff. I kinda think most other riders on this forum like riding their own stuff. It's part of the enjoyment. And if you buy a bike like a D9, where else are you going to ride it? Even at a neat place like Moab, you're gonna pay a steep price for all that weight. Bikes and suspension have gotten good enough that longer travel isn't necessarily the do-all-end-all for a good bike. Why not look at some of these newer 6" front and rear suspension models that are coming available so that you can enjoy it just about anywhere? If you're used to riding an Epic, I think you'd be quite shocked at how burly and competent some of these bikes are for some pretty gnarly riding. Then later if you find that you're really into the Bender-hucking scene, you'd can get a separate bike for that. Don't get too many stars in your eyes about the glamour of North Shore, Red Bull Rampage style riding. Though you may have the talent to jump from an Epic to a Scream in a more radical environment like Whistler, most don't. Try a big hit, aggressive trail bike first with at least 6" of travel. I'd bet even if you got good enough to truly utilize a D9 type bike, you'd still probably wind up riding the 6" travel bike more frequently.
    On the Texas terrain situation, you're right about us not having the ski lift caliber downhills, but look in the background of this pic. There's plenty around the state to keep a 7" X 7" bike happy. There are a couple of guys riding D9s around the Palo Duro canyon area.
    Attached Images Attached Images