mtbr member

03 marzocchi dirt jumper II question

ive been running the stock 03 dirt jumper II on my bighit. The fork doesnt quite feel as plush, and ut doesnt feel like it has as much travel, as other forks that have 130 mm travel. I was looking on the marzocchi website and i noticed, that the you can buy a thing to change your travel to either 110, or 150 mm. I thought my fork was 130 mm, but i put a ziptie on and bottomed it out, and measured the the amount of travel I used and sure enough it was 110 mm. So the guy i got the bike from must have had it changed the travel to 110, and thats why it doesnt feel like a longer travel fork. I was kinda surprised about it being set at only that much travel, because ive hit a 10 footer a few times with this fork. Im thinkin if i get the upgrade to 150 mm it will make a huge difference, and it will feel like a much longer travel fork, cause its almost a 2 inch travel difference. Does anyone now if they still sell the travel upgrades to 150 mm, or know anything about how the forks are with that upgrade, or the pricing? thanks a lot any advice would be helpful.

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit816
    ive been running the stock 03 dirt jumper II on my bighit. The fork doesnt quite feel as plush, and ut doesnt feel like it has as much travel, as other forks that have 130 mm travel. I was looking on the marzocchi website and i noticed, that the you can buy a thing to change your travel to either 110, or 150 mm. I thought my fork was 130 mm, but i put a ziptie on and bottomed it out, and measured the the amount of travel I used and sure enough it was 110 mm. So the guy i got the bike from must have had it changed the travel to 110, and thats why it doesnt feel like a longer travel fork. I was kinda surprised about it being set at only that much travel, because ive hit a 10 footer a few times with this fork. Im thinkin if i get the upgrade to 150 mm it will make a huge difference, and it will feel like a much longer travel fork, cause its almost a 2 inch travel difference. Does anyone now if they still sell the travel upgrades to 150 mm, or know anything about how the forks are with that upgrade, or the pricing? thanks a lot any advice would be helpful.

the differance is in the dampning...I ran the exact same setup on my 03 bighit comp...dirtjumpers use SSV dampning which is only good for dirt jumping and street . thus, it makes it a very stubburn/ not plush, fork and you wont use its full travel so soon (130mm)...a 110mm travel dirtjumper only has 110mm of slider showing.. upgrading 20mm to 150mm wont do any good, plus, i believe that upgrade only works for the 04 dirtjumpers... if you want a similar, plusher fork with 130 or 150mm travel, look into the Z1 or Z150...those forks carry HSCV dampning which is very plush and sensitive to small bumps...it will suit you better.
    Last edited by Master_Jako; 06-26-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    the differance is in the dampning...I ran the exact same setup on my 03 bighit comp...dirtjumpers use SSV dampning which is only good for dirt jumping and street . thus, it makes it a very stubburn/ not plush, fork and you wont use its full travel so soon (130mm)...a 110mm travel dirtjumper only has 110mm of slider showing.. upgrading 20mm to 150mm wont do any good, plus, i believe that upgrade only works for the 04 dirtjumpers... if you want a similar, plusher for with 130 or 150mm travel, look into the Z1 or Z150...those forks carry HSCV dampning which is very plush and sensitive to small bumps...it will suit you better.
    and eta, so you can climb too.... if that matters

if you're interested, i have a z150 for sale, $350

mtbr member
    are u sure my fork is set up for 130, cause im almost positive i bottomed it out a bunch of times, and then when I measured it, the ziptie was at 110. Also im not as concerned with the dampening for small bumps, im more concerned with the fork being able to take big hits, cause i do a lott a freeriding, and im getting into bigger stuff. With that in mind would that extra travel make it a better fork for bigger drops?

MTBR Mafia
    well how big are ya talking. if youre doing stuff like 12 footers than no. my firends and i have gone that big on a fox vanilla so i know your dj will be fine. but if your gettin into real big stuff than why not upgrade forks like they said. possibly a DC for what your doing?
    All Mountain was so 2005

Goathead Gladiator
    the DJ 2 on my 04 BH has 150mm stantions and spec's website says it has 150mm travel. Mine was also really rock stiff, in fact I unscrewed the top caps and I think that let more air out than through the valves because now it is plush for first 2 inches of travel, then starts to get stiff which is good.

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    no way nate, you actually posted on here

Glad to Be Alive
    side note....changing the oil will ....give your plushness back
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Goathead Gladiator
    I got some fork oil at cycle gear on vanowen. it's good stuff.
    I removed the top caps, got out the measuring tape out, and I do have 150mm on my DJ II.

But I don't believe the DJ II stickers on my lowers. Looking at the schematics of the DJII from MarzKi, my forks casting looks nothing like the DJII and a whole lot like da drop off ... which happens to have 150mm travel hmmm.... I see what's going on here.

Disco-Superfly
    this thread is like, soooo last year
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Goathead Gladiator
    my bighit is so 2004. But it's new to me, and the previous owner rode it twice only. all the scratches on it are from me, it was pristine when I got it. now it has scratches, chips, busted shifter indicator, slipping seat post and is generally well loved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I don't know about the 150mm forks, but I have a 110. Marz does different builds for OEM stuff, and that's where the 130 came into play. I believe in 04 the bighits came spec'd with a 130mm DJ2. Anyhow, you can still get the travel kit if you're looking for more, but you'd have to check the 03 spec to see if the travel kit will take you to 130 or 150. The easiest way to find out is simply call Zoke. I was going to go the travel kit route on my 04 dj2 but have decided that I'd rather look into a fork with HSCV to get a bit more versatility.

One thing you can definitely do to fine tune your DJ2 is experiment with oil volumes and weights. Thinner oil will make the fork a little softer in terms of compression dampening. Playing with the volume will also have an effect on this aspect of the fork's performance.

As far as the comment about the dropoff being real similar to a DJ2, they are. I believe a dropoff also utilizes dual SSV cartridges, air preload and adjustable rebound dampening. Essentially the same type of fork, but it comes with more travel than a DJ2 to suit it's intended use (06 DJ2 is 100mm). No secret conspiracy between Marz and Specialized, just a different iteration of that specific platform.

Chris