mtbr member
    Mar 2013

00-02 Monster T Axle Ideas?

Hello, all. I'm trying to find an axle for my '01 Monster T, and have exhausted almost all of my options. It now seems as if my last chance to get this fork working will be to have the axle machined. I'm looking for someone who has either a) done this or know someone who has done this before, b)has machining experience, or c) anyone who can fuggin help me out. Aside from getting measurements from the fork legs, does anyone know what kind of tolerance I will need to have for this axle to be made? I also am not sure what materials I should use. I worry that the original axle may have been heat treated, and I'm not sure what grade aluminum they used, so I would consider steel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Marzocchi Monster T 20mm axle - Detailed item view - activesport.co.uk 01298 22002 / 01298 22006 email sales@activesport.co.uk

I suggest if you can't find one, drilling out the thread and replacing it with a similar axle from a 888 may be an option. Otherwise, custom machining one will work, it just might be a little expensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Update

Thanks for the link. I have actually found 2 or 3 websites that list the axle, but none have them in stock, and they were all from the UK. I've heard that you can order them from Marzocchi (75+ S&H), but it will take months to receive. I was told that they wait to get enough orders to do a low production run before shipping overseas. I'm going to try modifying a Manitou axle to fit. I'll post updates when I find out more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ever find anything out about this? I am looking to get the same axle and it seems impossible.

Glad to Be Alive
    call DVO suspension...they might have stuff
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

perpetual pucker factor
    I have a cnc lathe and heat treat furnace at work, and a decent selection of scrap aluminum rod stock as well. Mostly 6061-T6, but we might have some 7075 or 7005 scrap too. Steel is a safe bet in terms of strength and we have a lot of that. But I'd say just make a thicker aluminum one by not boring out the center quite as much. It'll still be lighter than steel, and it should be plenty strong. I'll have to look into heat treat recipes though, as milling aluminum can sometimes partially anneal the original full T6 hardness.

I'd be more than happy to help out, and I wouldn't charge you much for it (making sweet bike parts is pretty fun on its own, and I don't care much about making profit, I just don't want to lose money by helping), but I have zero idea what the axles look like. I don't know how to get my hands on an axle for measurement. Things like thread pitch are pretty crucial, and I'd need an axle to measure. Dimensions would probably need to be measured down to the thousandth to get a proper fit, and that would be near impossible with only the fork legs. Do you still have your old axle?
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Very interested in that Rhino. Just sent you a PM.