Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Flapmeat;11555121]
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post

No there is not. $150 does not get you much in the way of a fork. I will be patient and wait for a superb deal, no way am I spending $290.
    what about manitou or suntour forks, i heard they have decent entry level air forks thats going to be better then stock

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    [QUOTE=HIGHDESERT MTB'R 661;11565303]
    Quote Originally Posted by Flapmeat View Post

what about manitou or suntour forks, i heard they have decent entry level air forks thats going to be better then stock
    You beat me to the chase. I picked up a Suntour Epicon 29er fork. I was waiting until I could give it a ride to post about it, and I actually just came back from a quick 10 miler.

WOW. That's all I have to say. I've only ever ridden crappy coil forks like the XCT, and what a friggen difference air made. I tuned it very quickly in the garage just before I went out this mornjng, I let out too much air. But wow, if the difference from this Epicon shock to the XCT is like an Epicon to a very good air fork...I might just have to save my pennies. The difference is unreal!

I weighed both, I will post pictures in a little bit. I also got a carbon seatpost, just came in today while I was riding. So ill have pictures of the weight and such in a little while
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5
    2013 Diamondback Recoil 29er
    2007 Trek Pilot 1.2 - Sold
    2014 Specialized Hardrock 26 Disc - Sold

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    OK, time for some analysis and pictures again.

I got a Suntour Epicon fork. I bought it Wednesday night on Amazon, and it was here Friday afternoon. Talk about fast shipping from Taiwan! I was trying to hold off on buying a fork until I could get a really good deal, but from what I kept hearing, an air fork changes everything about the bike in a positive way. Might as well give it a shot, I figured. I've never ridden on anything other than XCT or crappy forks, so I didn't really know how urgent the need was for an air fork.

Original XCT, 100mm travel, 29er fork. 2586 grams. Hmm, a little less than advertised. Still, really really heavy.

The new Epicon weighing in at 1849 grams. That's more like it!

I set the sag very quickly, I didn't have much time to screw around with it much after I put it on. I went for a ride the next morning with a couple friends, and WOW. Initial impressions were amazing. The fork soaked up SO MUCH! My hands weren't bouncing all over the place for once! It felt like I had great contact with the trail as well, but with way less jarring and vibration over rocks and roots. Un-freakin-believable. But then I got to a pretty nice downhill section and almost lost it twice. I had the rebound set way soft; couple that with a leaf-covered trail that I had never been on with roots and rocks, a sharp corner 25ft away and trees close by, I was destined to lose it. I didn't, but I was so close it wasn't even funny. There is video of it, but I do need to get it from my friend. Right after that section of downhill, I set the rebound much harder and that problem was gone. I know for a fact that I was extremely close to bottoming out the shock after a few feet of air. I think I need to give the fork a bit more air pressure. The remote lock feature is also very nice, but a bit finicky to set up. It doesn't look aesthetically appealing yet either, since I didn't have any coated cable around. It's an easy fix, I'll push that off until it gets too cold to ride.

And the other thing I got, a 3T carbon post. Claimed weight was 198g, but I actually weighed it at 234g. No picture on the scale, sorry! Either way, that's a hair over a quarter pound of weight savings.

So it appears I shaved off 2 pounds in just a fork upgrade and a seatpost swap. I'd say that's pretty successful for less than $300, not to mention the mind-blowing handling changes the fork made. I'm a happy camper!

Total investment so far with the upgrades on the bike is $590. I am still waiting for the DT Swiss XM180 rear shock which I picked up for $131. I was really hoping to have that Friday or yesterday so I could give it a ride today, but oh well. Total investment with the shock is $721.

Next up will be either a 1x10 drivetrain upgrade, or a wheelset. Stay tuned!
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    OK, time for some analysis and pictures again.

I got a Suntour Epicon fork. I bought it Wednesday night on Amazon, and it was here Friday afternoon. Talk about fast shipping from Taiwan! I was trying to hold off on buying a fork until I could get a really good deal, but from what I kept hearing, an air fork changes everything about the bike in a positive way. Might as well give it a shot, I figured. I've never ridden on anything other than XCT or crappy forks, so I didn't really know how urgent the need was for an air fork.

Original XCT, 100mm travel, 29er fork. 2586 grams. Hmm, a little less than advertised. Still, really really heavy.

The new Epicon weighing in at 1849 grams. That's more like it!

I set the sag very quickly, I didn't have much time to screw around with it much after I put it on. I went for a ride the next morning with a couple friends, and WOW. Initial impressions were amazing. The fork soaked up SO MUCH! My hands weren't bouncing all over the place for once! It felt like I had great contact with the trail as well, but with way less jarring and vibration over rocks and roots. Un-freakin-believable. But then I got to a pretty nice downhill section and almost lost it twice. I had the rebound set way soft; couple that with a leaf-covered trail that I had never been on with roots and rocks, a sharp corner 25ft away and trees close by, I was destined to lose it. I didn't, but I was so close it wasn't even funny. There is video of it, but I do need to get it from my friend. Right after that section of downhill, I set the rebound much harder and that problem was gone. I know for a fact that I was extremely close to bottoming out the shock after a few feet of air. I think I need to give the fork a bit more air pressure. The remote lock feature is also very nice, but a bit finicky to set up. It doesn't look aesthetically appealing yet either, since I didn't have any coated cable around. It's an easy fix, I'll push that off until it gets too cold to ride.

And the other thing I got, a 3T carbon post. Claimed weight was 198g, but I actually weighed it at 234g. No picture on the scale, sorry! Either way, that's a hair over a quarter pound of weight savings.

So it appears I shaved off 2 pounds in just a fork upgrade and a seatpost swap. I'd say that's pretty successful for less than $300, not to mention the mind-blowing handling changes the fork made. I'm a happy camper!

Total investment so far with the upgrades on the bike is $590. I am still waiting for the DT Swiss XM180 rear shock which I picked up for $131. I was really hoping to have that Friday or yesterday so I could give it a ride today, but oh well. Total investment with the shock is $721.

Next up will be either a 1x10 drivetrain upgrade, or a wheelset. Stay tuned!
    that coil shock is really heavy for what it is, just a pogo stick, you'll save some weight there also. Fork looks good!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HIGHDESERT MTB'R 661 View Post
    that coil shock is really heavy for what it is, just a pogo stick, you'll save some weight there also. Fork looks good!
    It literally is a pogo stick, check out my pictures and weight on the previous page. There's nothing in the strut body (it's technically a strut since the coil is surrounding the damper). I can move the strut up and down without the coil spring with no resistance. I will be saving over 300g when the DT Swiss shock comes in.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Sweeeeeeet!

I just got a recoil back in July. At first I just got it for the local trails (recently moved to Fullerton and there's a nice trail about .5 miles away), then discovered a few people that like to ride and since then it's been a weekly (almost a daily) thing.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into, and in retrospect, had I of known I was going to get hooked on riding, I probably would have invested more into a bike.

I got this bad boy for $450 from a Dick's Sporting Goods sale. Since then I've put probably another $350 into it. (Not to mention all the little things I needed for my pack)

So far I just got new pedals, rockshox tk32 solo air fork, and dnm rear shock. Made a world of a difference! I'm debating getting a Deore groupset next.

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-imag1129.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by J_oh View Post
    I just got a recoil back in July. At first I just got it for the local trails (recently moved to Fullerton and there's a nice trail about .5 miles away), then discovered a few people that like to ride and since then it's been a weekly (almost a daily) thing.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into, and in retrospect, had I of known I was going to get hooked on riding, I probably would have invested more into a bike.

I got this bad boy for $450 from a Dick's Sporting Goods sale. Since then I've put probably another $350 into it. (Not to mention all the little things I needed for my pack)

So far I just got new pedals, rockshox tk32 solo air fork, and dnm rear shock. Made a world of a difference! I'm debating getting a Deore groupset next.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1129.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	938124
    Interesting that my post will fall after yours, as I basically have all the same points to hit. Got into biking in late May, by June had ordered my 2014 recoil from Dick's sporting goods for around $450, and am upgrading as I go with about $250 in it as of now.
    So far I have replaced the mechanical disc brakes with shimano hydraulics, and keeping with the factory color scheme, went with white (had to get white cables too, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like that), also the saddle and pedals have been upgraded.
    The fork is the next to go as everything I see about the XCT is negative, I would love some input on a decent fork upgrade specific to the recoil, but keep in mind I do not really want to spend more on any one upgrade than I did the entire bike, I will save that kind of money for a new bike..

My iPad doesn't seem to want to post the pictures I took with my phone, so I will post them separate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-1415729466436.jpg

I promise, I have a better understanding of a bike on a trail than I do uploading pictures on tablets and cell phones.. Not sure how the second pic got turned around, but you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-1415729368386.jpg  

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1129.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	938124
    I would get a crankset with external bearings, like shimanos hallowtech 2 crankset, these are much stronger then those anemic square taper crank sets the recoils come with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester4 View Post
    Interesting that my post will fall after yours, as I basically have all the same points to hit. Got into biking in late May, by June had ordered my 2014 recoil from Dick's sporting goods for around $450, and am upgrading as I go with about $250 in it as of now.
    So far I have replaced the mechanical disc brakes with shimano hydraulics, and keeping with the factory color scheme, went with white (had to get white cables too, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like that), also the saddle and pedals have been upgraded.
    The fork is the next to go as everything I see about the XCT is negative, I would love some input on a decent fork upgrade specific to the recoil, but keep in mind I do not really want to spend more on any one upgrade than I did the entire bike, I will save that kind of money for a new bike..

My iPad doesn't seem to want to post the pictures I took with my phone, so I will post them separate.
    Yeah I don't miss the suntour fork or the rear pogo of a shock. I would recommend getting the DNM rear shock if you're on a budget, it cost's roughly $85 online. My buddy who has a RS Monarch RL says my rear shock and his feel pretty similar, and his was $300ish! For the front fork, I'd suggest you don't cheap out, yes there's white XCR's (suntour) out there for like $140 but it's a brick! I rode a bike with the XCR and although it's air, the rebound sucks and will transfer all the vibrations to your arms (did about 10 miles of trails on one). I decided to go with the RS cuz it was decent for it's price. I agree, Suntours for the most part suck, although I can't speak for the Epicon.

Depends how you ride though, if you want to hit the trails hard and want the best response from your bike, get something quality.

So far, the frame is holding up well, but I can't speak for it's longevity as my bike only has roughly 800 miles or so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HIGHDESERT MTB'R 661 View Post
    I would get a crankset with external bearings, like shimanos hallowtech 2 crankset, these are much stronger then those anemic square taper crank sets the recoils come with.
    I saw a groupset of Deore M610, including BB, crank, cassette, chain etc.. for about $210.. and a groupset of SLX for about $20 more.. just debating if I should pull the trigger or not or wait for something to break.

So far the cheapo Acera derailleur has been failing me, either that or my chain is done, but I have this itch to upgrade...

mtbr member
    I saw a groupset of Deore M610, including BB, crank, cassette, chain etc.. for about $210.. and a groupset of SLX for about $20 more.. just debating if I should pull the trigger or not or wait for something to break.

So far the cheapo Acera derailleur has been failing me, either that or my chain is done, but I have this itch to upgrade...

I bought my recoil used , i started riding the bike hard soon after the square tapered bracket broke there was a lot of play in the crank set also. So that's when i upgraded to a deore hollow tech crank set. The bottom bracket shell is 73mm wide on the recoil .

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

2014 Recoil Pro

This is my 2014 Recoil Pro. The only thing I have done so far is convert it to 1x9, with a Raceface NW chainring in the front. I think the next thing that needs to change is a lighter wheel set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-2014-recoil-pro.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anyone know what size the BB is on the updated frames (2011+ I think)

I'm looking into switching to a 1x10 but have no idea what BB I can use. This is the first time I'll be screwing with a crankset upgrade so I'm kinda lost.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Anyone know what size the BB is on the updated frames (2011+ I think)

I'm looking into switching to a 1x10 but have no idea what BB I can use. This is the first time I'll be screwing with a crankset upgrade so I'm kinda lost.
    i posted it in a earlier message, it's 73mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

2014 Diamondback Recoil

Here is my 2014 Diamondback Recoil 29er with upgraded RockShox 30 Gold TK Solo Air 100mm, race face Evolve handlebars, race face affect pedals and rear is a DNM AOY-36rc
    Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-cam00469.jpgYour Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-cam00476.jpg

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Flapmeat;11566526]

I got a Suntour Epicon fork. I bought it Wednesday night on Amazon, and it was here Friday afternoon. Talk about fast shipping from Taiwan! I was trying to hold off on buying a fork until I could get a really good deal, but from what I kept hearing, an air fork changes everything about the bike in a positive way. Might as well give it a shot, I figured. I've never ridden on anything other than XCT or crappy forks, so I didn't really know how urgent the need was for an air fork. QUOTE]

Is this the same Epicon fork that you bought on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LBZR90C/...I3MDTKR68E9ZQA

I was trying to find it, but, according to Amazon, they are all sold out, which seems strange, since you bought yours only a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    [QUOTE=BCTJ;11592953]

I got a Suntour Epicon fork. I bought it Wednesday night on Amazon, and it was here Friday afternoon. Talk about fast shipping from Taiwan! I was trying to hold off on buying a fork until I could get a really good deal, but from what I kept hearing, an air fork changes everything about the bike in a positive way. Might as well give it a shot, I figured. I've never ridden on anything other than XCT or crappy forks, so I didn't really know how urgent the need was for an air fork. QUOTE]

Is this the same Epicon fork that you bought on Amazon?

Amazon.com : 2015 SR Suntour Epicon XC MTB Fork (29", 100mm, Remote Lockout, Air Spring, QR 9mm, Black, New) : Sports & Outdoors

I was trying to find it, but, according to Amazon, they are all sold out, which seems strange, since you bought yours only a few weeks ago.
    Yes that is the exact item I bought. I must have gotten one of the last few, but when I bought it, Amazon didn't list low stock...I don't know Give it a little time and see if they are able to restock. If not, I'd shoot them an email. For the price I cannot complain at all about how the fork performs!

Still loving the heck out of this bike. I made some tweaks to the fork, I didn't have enough air pressure in it. Kept bottoming out on jumps, so I pumped it up to 75psi. Haven't had the opportunity to really test it out yet though. Another flaw I found is that I keep looking for just one lower gear. A 24-32 isn't exactly very low IMO. Most of the stuff I ride is either technical or very steep with lots of NJ rocks. I went riding this past weekend when it was a little wet and boy oh boy, these WTB Wolverines are TERRIBLE in the mud. I'm going to try to ride through the majority of the winter, so this has to be addressed; if they don't handle mud, how in the hell are they going to cope with snow?

So either the Royal Mail lost my package, or USPS/customs did. I still have not received the shock, so instead of continuing to wait and making the shock fit the frame or the frame fit the shock, I got a refund. I went a little out of hand this morning and bought a 1x10 setup that can be switched over to a 2x10 if I don't like it.

Here's what I got:
    M615 Deore 38/26 175mm crankset
    HG50 11-36 cassette
    HG54 chain
    M640 Zee GS Shadow+ RD
    M780 XT shifter

I'm going to go with the 26 as the single. By my calculations, the 26-36 will be a little lower than the 24-32 that I have right now. Perfect! And if I need speed, the 26-11 will be more than enough for around here.
    Total is 226 with tracked shipping I will be saving well over 500g with this setup. When the weather gets a bit colder (and when I get the parts from CRC) I will tear the bike down and paint it before I swap all the new parts on. Guess I gotta start watching youtube videos on how to tune a derailleur

I will be searching for a used air shock now. I'm considering the DNM shock, but let's see if I can find something used. I'll be looking to stay under $100.

So, updated investment numbers:
    stock Recoil - $300
    Suntour Epicon fork - $240
    3T seatpost - $59
    1x10 setup - $226
    TOTAL - $825
    Last edited by Flapmeat; 11-28-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Everyone loves pictures!

Decided to go with a DNM shock. Ordered late last night and came in this afternoon. Nice! Also opted to remove the front derailleur shifter to make a little more room for the fork lockout. I am going 1x10 when the parts show up, so I might as well get used to not having to worry about it! Removed the big chainring too. I also coated, adjusted, and cleaned up the fork lockout.

312 grams for the DNM

and 547 grams for the pogo stick

130 grams for the shifter

144 grams for the big ring...isn't that a little heavy?

This one was taken before I thought to remove the big ring...oops

All in all, another productive day. Total weight savings of 509 grams

I'll be weighing the rear wheel tomorrow with cassette, this is gonna be interesting!
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Thanks for the continuing updates Flapmeat. I ordered the DNM rear shock and am so excited to get rid of my "pogo" rear shock. However, the 29er Epicon shocks are still out of stock on Amazon, which is unfortuante because I was hoping to get a great deal on the forks on Black Friday. I've searched ebay, amazon and multiple cycling sites, but the only Epicons I can find are for 26" tires, unfortunately, and my bike is a 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    Thanks for the continuing updates Flapmeat. I ordered the DNM rear shock and am so excited to get rid of my "pogo" rear shock. However, the 29er Epicon shocks are still out of stock on Amazon, which is unfortuante because I was hoping to get a great deal on the forks on Black Friday. I've searched ebay, amazon and multiple cycling sites, but the only Epicons I can find are for 26" tires, unfortunately, and my bike is a 29er.
    The shock seems pretty good. I need to tune it a bit more for sure. I didn't get a manual with mine but if you visit DNM's website you can grab it there. I need to set it quite softer than their recommended pressure for my weight.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok so I have the DNM rear shock is on its way, (the people at Amazon owe someone on this forum some advertising dollars) but now I am at the difficult stage of choosing the front fork. I know anything is going to be an upgrade from the suntour xct, but one fork in particular catches my eye, the rockshox revelation 29 inch (only white 29 inch fork under $600 I could find). The issue I come to with this fork is the travel on it is 30 mm greater than the current setup. I have searched mtbr for threads on this topic and they claim it only matters if you're racing, as the 130 mm will be heavier (no way it's heavier than the XCT though) and ultimately slower and a bit cumbersome on climbs and switchbacks than the 100 mm, but the way I see it, I will sacrifice some time on the uphill if it considerably speeds up my downhill. Basically my question to you all is, does anyone have experience with this specific to a recoil..? Or is everyone replacing the 100 mm with 100 mm?

mtbr member
    I just got my DNM shock a few days ago and I took it to REI because I didn't have any spare washers. They installed it for me for free - nice. The ride is much smoother with the DNM and it was definitely worth the $85 price tag. Also, the bike feels alot lighter. As I mentioned above, I was going to get the Epicon fork, but they are out of stock for some reason. Other than that, I'm not sure what you can get in the $200 price range for a decent front fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Chester4, adding that inch+ to the travel will do a few things. 1. Rake out the front end. The handlebars will come up, this will make the bike handle much slower, also the front end will come up/wander on climbs more. The headtube angle will be slacker. Descending will be better but climbing will be harder. 2. Too much added travel will void the frame warranty. Raking out the headtube more adds stress to the welds. This is stress that the manufacturer did not intend to have on the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the response. I had really not thought about extra stress on the frame, only how my speed was going to be affected. So thank you for saving me the time and hassle. looks like I will be sticking with a 100 mm fork. My budget On the fork is about $350 (give or take) so any recommendations would be very welcome..
    Or , since things tend to go this way anyways; if you can think of a better way to spend the $400 on the recoil other than just a fork, let's hear specifics..
    (I have already upgraded the brakes, saddle, pedals, and rear shock is on the way.)
    Last edited by Chester4; 12-06-2014 at 10:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Wheelset would be the other big ticket item that will be worth while. I weighed the rear wheel with cassette and qr, it's over 1800g. The cassette is right around 300 from what I gather. So 1500g for a rear wheel is quite heavy.

It doesn't matter if you go with a fork or wheelset, either one will be an amazing upgrade. But I would consider a fork before wheels. If the fork must be white, just repaint it...
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Front suspension is a great place to upgrade! Look at what is out there for the money. I really like Rock Shox at most price points. They are a good overall value and have solid customer service after the fact. Also going after tons of adjustments in your price point is pry not the best idea. Think about that preload adjustment on a low end Suntour fork... it really doesn't do too much. I would look for a good air fork (XC30, Recon etc) that has a rebound adjustment and good uppers. Aluminum uppers, magnesium lowers, air and possibly aluminum steerer (pry have to be a steel steerer). I look for the quality of the fork, not how many knobs it has. Don't worry about fork color, repainting a fork (or frame too) can void warranties, and who wants to paint over anodized magnesium? Most will be black, it goes with everything!

mtbr member
    The Epicon 29er front shocks are still unavailable on Amazon.com. I've also searched multiple other websites and there are only 26" and 27.5" sizes available. It must be a great shock to be in such high demand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    1x10 is on along with carbon bars. Stock bars are 398g. Bike weighs in at 31.7lbs now. M615 crankset is on now, but not pictured. Made a prototype 22T 64mm BCD chainring that needs to be thinned out a bit since the chain does not fully engage the teeth. That freakin' tapered square BB weighed a ton! I saved over a pound on just the crankset swap.

Last edited by Flapmeat; 12-22-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Did some more research this morning.

Stock wheel weights...oh boy.

Front wheel, tire, tube = 2431
    WTB Wolverine 29x2.2 claimed weight - 805
    Front wheel, tube = 1626

Rear wheel, tire, tube = 2186
    Continental Mountain King claimed weight - 666
    Rear wheel, tube = 1520

Front/rear wheels with tubes = 3146g. HOLY ****! Subtract about 300g for tubes and you're still at 2800g.

I don't know what brand tubes come with these things stock, and didn't feel like dismounting a tire. I pulled the rotors, hardware, cassette, QRs, deflated both tires, and scrubbed off tires of mud/dirt before weighing to get as accurate readings as I could.

I'm considering picking up a Mavic Crossroc WTS for 400. Comes with wheels, rim strips for tubeless, valves, and tires. Weight when tubeless with tires and inflated comes in at 3741g. Weight of my setup with the Conti in the rear is 4617. That's a 2lb difference.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok I have my new rear shock from DNM. But being a complete beginner at all this bike stuff I have zero knowledge on what it is supposed to behave like our of the box. What I'm getting at is no matter how much force I put on the shock it is remaining 'locked out' I have downloaded the owners manual and tried adjusting the 'lockout' (compression adjuster) feature as well as the rebound adjustment. But it still remains in the completely extended position, with literally zero give no matter the force I apply. Am I doing something wrong, or was I just lucky enough to get a defective shock?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Did you put it on the bike yet? It's likely you won't be able to compress it by hand.

With it installed, switch lockout to off (make sure it makes a clicking noise) switch rebound to all the way soft. Put it on the bike and bunny hop it. It should compress and not extend (or if it does, very slowly). Switch rebound to about the middle and then start screwing with air pressure and rebound.

If you did not get a manual with it like me, go to DNMs website and download the manual, it has a rough pressure chart for corresponding weights.

If you do not have a shock pump, you need to get one as the volume of air that a bicycle air shock utilizes is very small. Very very minor adjustments can result in a 20psi difference which is huge...
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the extremely quick response, I had not put it on the bike, with the idea that if it were bad, I wouldn't want to have installed it then send it back. But at this point I will try it anyways. maybe I'm just underestimating the amount of force it takes to compress the shock even a very small amount. And FWIW my fork will be here in 3 days, I used the sr suntour 'upgrade' program (they gave me $110 in credit for the xct, without me actually having to send it back, not that anyone would buy it..) so I was able to get the suntour Raidon 29er 1 1/8 straight steerer in WHITE for just over $200. Should be like a new bike by the weekend. Don't worry, I will have the front fork installed by someone that knows what they are doing, haha.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Installing is super easy. Two Allen bolts. Swap over bushings and sleeves from old shock to new shock, put both Allens back in and done.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltoy View Post
    ........besides, I love to build things and make them my own: my Jeep, my bike, my house, my computer, my wife..........."sKuLLy made this"..............

I have all the tools, and I know every millimeter of my bike, that to me is as much fun as riding itself.
    Good for you! I'm doing the same with a 2015 Recoil and the biggest reason is I enjoy it. I'm even removing all the labels, logos and stickers and painting mine...to really "make it my own". It's just fun to do. I got the bike complete so I could experience the upgrades one at a time. When I figure out how to start a thread here, I will have pics from start to finish....."before"......"during" and "after". The thread will also be a good place to get advice and recommendations which is what drew me to this thread. I own a machine shop so I may actually make a few signature parts(non-life-depends-on-it-parts) of the aesthetic nature. I will post a link to my thread if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    New to the site and wanted to add my bike to the long list of recoil lovers.
    I have a 2014 recoil pro with some race face upgrades.
    35mm sixc handlebar, 35mm atlas stem, half nelson grips, atlas i-beam saddle, sixc seatpost, atlas pedals, stans ztr arch ex rims, schwalbe hans dampf tires
    Im still working on it and am happy so far with its progress. i will post better pics later whenIi can download them to my computer. I appreciate all comments both positive and negative. Thanks for looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-wp_20150105_006.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-wp_20150105_008.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-wp_20150105_009.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-wp_20150105_010.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-wp_20150105_011.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-wp_20150103_001-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My Recoil is just about done now. Got a Mavic Crossroc WTS for $380. Saved another 1.8lbs. Total weight is 29.96lbs I picked up an XT 11-36 cassette for this wheelset. The HG51 will stay on the Diamondback wheels for snow/mud riding.

I have a new stem on the way, shorter with a steeper angle. Since I saved so much weight on the wheelset, I'm going to give it a ride and see if the brakes are still worth upgrading.

Paint will have to wait until it gets warmer. I don't have a heated garage or a heated space to paint

Investment breakdown
    Stock Recoil - $300
    Suntour Epicon - $240
    Mavic Crossroc WTS - $380
    DNM rear shock - $85
    1x10 setup - $220
    Orbea OCIII carbon bar - $43
    3T Doric seatpost - $55
    XT 11-36 cassette - $63
    Ritchey Comp stem - $40

TOTAL - $1,426

Even if I did want to upgrade the brakes, I'd end up going with M615 Deore hydros which tend to go for around $90 - $100.

It looks like FS bikes in the $1400 - $1600 range are spec'd out pretty poor. I'm confident that I have a better bike for less. Bottom line is that it pays to do a lot of research, price checking, and more research. For those who don't want to pay for the LBS to do all the work, all of this stuff was really easy to do. Tuning a RD I thought would be a huge pain in the ass, but it turned out to be ridiculously simple.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Nice looking bike. I am looking forward to seeing it painted. I would like to see mine weigh as much as yours. I havent weighed it since adding some new parts. mine started at 34.10 pound stock
    Last edited by Battle92; 01-11-2015 at 08:15 AM.

mtbr member
    The 2015 Epicon's finally became available on Amazon. I ordered one yesterday and it is on the way. Also, enjoying my DNM rear shock. The bike feels really heavy in the back when I pick it up. I'm wondering if going tubeless and buying new derailler/cranks may be the next step?

mtbr member
    I just got a message from Amazon that the fork is out for delivery today. That's lightening fast shipping, considering that it came from Taiwan.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What's the width of the rear wheel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You guys have built up some awesome looking recoils. I'm torn between the sync'r and the Atroz Comp. The Atroz suspension design is just like the recoil's. How do you guys like the suspension on the recoils?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Rear wheel width is 20mm IIRC and they are terrible wheels

Suspension seems OK but I haven't ridden anything else to compare. I can absolutely see it having quite a bit of flex, though, at the shock to swing arm mount area because there isn't any sort of bracket to keep it in place. This is probably the cheapest full suspension bike out there, so it honestly can't be great at all.

No updates on my recoil but I will be stripping and painting soon. It will happen as soon as I can ride my CAAD10 (wwhich also got a full rebuild over the winter)
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

My recoil so far.

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_0019.jpgYour Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_0027.jpg

My Recoil so Far

Summer last year, I somehow got really into mountain biking, and I bought the recoil because it was on sale at amazon for about US$600. So far, the upgrades have included:

-Shimano Hydraulic Disc Brakes ($60 ones just to try them out)
    -Rockshox Monarch XX (found for $200)
    -Rockshox Recon Gold TK 32 ($350)
    -RaceFace Half Nelson Grips ($20)

Not-So-Upgrades:
    -Removing the front shifter and cable (going 1x10, getting used to it)

Next up: 1x10 drivetrain. The current bottom bracket is making a gentle popping sound on every pedal stroke, and I think it's time for a new drivetrain as my riding skills progress.

PS: Anyone have any luck with the suntour loyalty program? I'm thinking of building a FR or a DJ bike out of scrap parts from friends, and I wan't to get a decent fork for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    A few people here have had very good results with The Suntour program.

Painted it today, will post some pics tomorrow.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

Moderator Moderator
    Luck here. Just upgraded not long ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Ok. Thanks. It seems that the suntour loyalty program will work.
    I also ordered some race face cranks, a threaded bb, and a 34t chainring. Will come back in a few days with pics of an updated setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Has anyone switched to a tapered fork? What size (internal) Lower headset did you use? Would love to use the loyalty program but they only offer tapered forks now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I don't think you can use a tapered fork with this bike-the straight head tube of the Recoil has a diameter of 1 1/8 inches (I think), and all of the tapered forks need a lower head tube diameter of 1.5 inches.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I just need the internal diameter of the lower head tube.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast