Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
    Nice. They're lovely little bikes. I finally have a Epicon fork on the way, and I'm going to run it at 120mm, maybe 140mm. Picked up some Race Face cranks and a sweet looking green bar too.

Next big upgrades would be some Avid Elixir 1 brakes probably when the stocks need new pads, maybe earlier cause I am a bit of a mod whore. Slightly better braking means I'll want some better tires to take full advantage, want some nice 2.2 inch Continental Trail Kings. Eventually I plan on going to a nice 1x10 setup, which means some nice new wheels a SRAM x5 components. Going to be riding 1x8 until then. I really don't ride up hills much, so it will be fine, since it's basically the gearing I use now.

I see that DoySijib guy has basically the build I'm going for, although I'll be a little more budget minded.
    Running a longer fork then specced for the bike will screw up the designed geometry of the bike but will also void any warranty issue you may have with the frame.

You may be able to get away with 120mm but 140mm Im pretty sure will void the warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    Running a longer fork then specced for the bike will screw up the designed geometry of the bike but will also void any warranty issue you may have with the frame.

You may be able to get away with 120mm but 140mm Im pretty sure will void the warranty.
    Well, I don't think I have a warranty anyways. This frame is the same as the Sortie, which use 120mm and 140mm forks no problem. I think I'll just go with 120mm though, since the rear is only 100mm and I don't want a huge difference in front/rear travel. Maybe I'll extend it to 140mm if I eventually get a new rear shock with a longer stroke (I think something like 7.5x2.25 would work, and give me 4.5 inches of rear travel instead of 4?)

Anyways, finally got my fork in today though. I got sent a '14-'15 model when I ordered a '13-'14 (mainly for the colors), but this will look good too. I'm waiting on a Crane Creek 10 headset (basically the 40, but with plastic cap and star nut, which I have a new star nut anyways and the stock cap seems to be metal), and I picked up a 60mm 2010 Race Face Ride Stem for cheap from Jenson. Can't wait to install it all. The fork feels super light, yet very solid.

I'm going to wait until I do my full 1x10 conversion to get the Race Face crank installed, which will be awesome. Meanwhile, I basically made my bike a 1x8 today. Replaced the front derailleur with a clamp on chain guide. Already had the bash guard and only used the middle 32T crank ring, so this just makes sense.

Added some new bars and pedals too. I like the look and feel of the bars (which are about an inch wider than the stockers on both ends), but I'm not really feeling the pedals. Just way to bright and loud looking. I had white ones before, think I'll just go back to them.

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140814_200836202.jpg

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140814_200854072.jpg

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140814_200914060.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey guys, so I'm finally getting around to try and install my new fork, but I'm having some issues with the headset. I'm talking about on the top and bottom of the frame's steer tube, there looks like what appear to be races from the old headset. Should these pieces hammer out so I can install my new headset, or should I just drop the new bearings in there because it really doesn't make a difference?

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140821_193319676.jpg

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140821_193331302.jpg

I opened up my fork the other day and couldn't extend in to 120mm either. The damn pin is just too much of a pain and I didn't want to risk breaking my brand new fork. Oh well.

mtbr member
    if you're going to install a whole new set up like a sealed bearing type it should come with its own cups thus you'd have to take the old cups out with a special tool or just have your LBS do it they have the tools.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cups, that's what they're called. Yeah, I got a whole new Cane Creek. Do I really need a tool? They look like they just hammer out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1C9T7ACO5T769

Looks like the perfect tool for the job (duh), but $20 to hammer some metal out seems kinda eh.

mtbr member
    I'm sure you'll figure out a way to hammer them out but pressing them in another story. Sealed headset is next on my list ,Go for it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The new ones won't just sit in there and get tight when I button everything up?

mtbr member
    Well, I decided to buy one of these even though nobody responded to me regarding the weight. I hope it doesn't weigh like a tank. I'm hoping to upgrade the components soon (as I raise the funds). First up, updating the rear shock. That coil shock looks really ineffective.

mtbr member
    you have to press them in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    Well, I decided to buy one of these even though nobody responded to me regarding the weight. I hope it doesn't weigh like a tank. I'm hoping to upgrade the components soon (as I raise the funds). First up, updating the rear shock. That coil shock looks really ineffective.
    yeah the spring shock is heavy , so are the stock forks, brakes and wheel set, upgrade those and you'll be good.

mtbr member
    Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-gopr2149.jpgYour Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-gopr2150.jpgYour Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-gopr2154.jpgHaven't weighed my bike yet but it feels way lighter then when stock.
    Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-gopr2148.jpgYour Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-gopr2153.jpgYour Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-gopr2152.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HIGHDESERT MTB'R 661 View Post
    you have to press them in
    Well, I guess I'll figure it out then. :/

mtbr member
    Well, I took it out for a spin last night after putting it together and I found it to be quite a comfortable ride. And, it didn't feel all that heavy, even with the subpar components that I currently have. Actually, I found it more comfortable than the $1,000+ Specialized Camber which I rode last month in Park City. Not bad for a $500 bike. I guess we'll have to see how it holds up on the rough stuff once I go on the mountain though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Needing some more heap with my headset guys. The pusher came today and I hammered out the stock cups, but my new Cane Creek headset is too small for my head tube.

It doesn't look like I can hammer my headset in to the stock cups. Are there new cups I need to buy somewhere? My heatset fits perfectly on my steerer tube. I'm totally lost, I just want this to work already. :/

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140828_173819332.jpg

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140828_174218330_hdr.jpg

At least my fork is 120mm now. Took it to the shop and asked the guy if he could do it. Even he had a hard time getting the damn pin in and out. Gave him $5 for doing it.

mtbr member
    is the headset 1 1/8" , thats the size you need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes. It fits perfectly on my fork's steerer tube.

Sigh. I think I may have bought the wrong headset. :/ Oh well, I found it for only $20

I think I need this one.

This stuff is way too complicated.

mtbr member
    Well the recoils head tube is meant for 1 1/18 " fork steerer tubes thus you need a 1 1/8"

Cane Creek 40-Series EC34 Conventional Headset | Chain Reaction Cycles

Is this the one you bought? if so it should work the recoils frame fitting is pretty standard so it shouldn't be hard finding a headset that works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought the ten series, which is basically the same except the top cap is polymer. It obviously doesn't fit my frame. I'm thinking I need that other one I linked to.

mtbr member
    Cane Creek 40 Zero Stack Headset | Cane Creek

ok so i checked the DiamondBack web site and the recoil takes a zero stack headset,
    this is what another guy on here is running on his Recoil and what i'm going to be getting for mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yup, that's the type I thought I'd need. Oh well, live and learn. You should look into the 10 though. The only difference is the polymer top cap and crown race. Apparently the star nut too, but mine came with a metal one. The stock top cap and crown race seem like metal if it is a big deal to you.

$20 less I don't think you can go wrong.

mtbr member
    What would be the best low-weight rear shock to buy for this bike? The Rock Shox Monarch?

mtbr member
    What would be the best low-weight rear shock to buy for this bike? The Rock Shox Monarch?
    I don't know about best, that is too subjective. But I use a 2009 Fox RP23 XV and I feel it does a great job. Can't comment on the Monarch since I don't have any experience with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, my new headset came in this evening. Spent the last few hours getting everything installed. Easy to install a new headset/fork, the most time consuming thing was not having a bike stand and having to flip half my bike over all the time, and having to basically put everything together just to mark the fork to be cut. The new cups weren't too bad to hammer in, froze them for about 30 minutes, although I don't think a regular food freezer did much. Clamped on the stock stem and used that as a cutting guide, pretty clean cut.

Rode it around some, felt pretty good. Still have to make adjustments and stuff tomorrow, but hopefully it won't be so hot and I can take it for a spin.

Here are some pics I just snapped. Can't see too much, but I think it looks pretty cool with the lighting. The fork doesn't look too bad with the forest green bars I got.

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140903_222547990.jpg

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140903_222742133.jpg

Time to wear out the tires and save up for Shimano hydraulics, x5 1x10 (already have Race Face Ride cranks/BB), and new wheels.

mtbr member
    One problem - it seems there is nowhere to place a water bottle on the bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's what CammelBaks are for.

Got everything adjusted and snapped a few pics today. Unfortunately, it's way too hot and humid to go ride. I was soaked in sweat from just being outside 15 minutes. Looks pretty nice and feels great. Air fork is definatley the best major upgrade to this bike. 120mm feels right at home too.

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140905_151810947.jpg

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140905_151730621.jpg

mtbr member
    looks great

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks. Think I may maybe want to spray the lower fork legs flat black, which should get rid of some gauk and look really good when I get flat black wheels with my 1x10.

Took the bike out for a quick spin on some trails today. Fork felt great, maybe a little bit too much air, but I'd rather have stiffer suspension than saggy suspension. The brakes on this thing are still horrible though and feel like they're for a 160 lb kid, not a geared up 220 lb adult. Can't wait to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Are these bikes heavy? Also, would a large fit someone 6'1? They seem to be the cheapest 29ers out there (apart from Schwinn) Thanks.
    Too bad I didnt see this sooner... Im 6'1" and got the large. Seems to fit me just fine. I think mine weighed in at 36lbs. On the heavy side but at least its not over 40.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well, my new headset came in this evening. Spent the last few hours getting everything installed. Easy to install a new headset/fork, the most time consuming thing was not having a bike stand and having to flip half my bike over all the time, and having to basically put everything together just to mark the fork to be cut. The new cups weren't too bad to hammer in, froze them for about 30 minutes, although I don't think a regular food freezer did much. Clamped on the stock stem and used that as a cutting guide, pretty clean cut.

Rode it around some, felt pretty good. Still have to make adjustments and stuff tomorrow, but hopefully it won't be so hot and I can take it for a spin.

Here are some pics I just snapped. Can't see too much, but I think it looks pretty cool with the lighting. The fork doesn't look too bad with the forest green bars I got.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140903_222547990.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	920797

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140903_222742133.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	920798

Time to wear out the tires and save up for Shimano hydraulics, x5 1x10 (already have Race Face Ride cranks/BB), and new wheels.

Looks great. Im currently searching for a new front fork as well. what length steer tube did you get for this bike? i cant find any info on the length I need..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had to cut mine, wasn't very hard. Used a hacksaw and my old stem as a guide. No idea how long the tube was cut, but I guess you could take off the stock fork and measure that if you're fine with all the spacing.

Then just see if you can buy a fork cut that length or you'll have to get an un-cut fork and do it yourself.

Cut my new bars down some today too. 750mm to 690mm, feels really good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Back from the shop and looking pretty good

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Painted my lower fork legs the other day and got everything all buttoned up today. Looks a lot better. You can kind of see the graphics underneath.

They're still pretty meh, but I got the stock brakes working a bit better too. Got my suspension dialed in today as well and it's super awesome. Only way I can have more fun is bombing some real downhill on an all mountain or downhill bike (which I want an all mountain some day for the pedal uphill, bomb downhill versatility, or slap on DH wheels and take to the resort)

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140919_151503826.jpg

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20140919_151436757.jpg

Weather is still nice to ride, but once ski season starts then the bike is pretty much going to be put up, but will be fully upgraded in the spring . I'm getting Deore M610 brakes with 180f/160r RT66 discs, installing Race Face Ride 175mm cranks with 30T NW ring/light bash guard, x5 shifting and x7 type 2 med cage derailleur , 11-36T 10 speed PG1050 cassette/PC1071 chain, Mavic XM119 wheels with Deore hubs/2.2 inch Continental Trail King, and maybe a RockShox Monarch RL.
    Last edited by Birddog07; 09-25-2014 at 11:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So I gave a DB Recoil from 2009, my the rear swing arm has a crack on it, my bike is fully up graded so I really will like to get a new rear swing arm, from 2008 or 2009, and if not a swing arm then a frame sent from 2010 or 2011 that I think most of the part will fit.
    The 1st pictures at this Thread are of my bike

Please Help!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That thing is sweet birddog.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegogetter View Post
    I know its even better now with new Mavic rims, but I need a new swing arm!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegogetter View Post
    It's not bad. Thing weighs about 35 pounds though. Hopefully it will lose a few more with wheels and a few extra components, but it's still a bit of a pig.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by arielDB View Post
    I know its even better now with new Mavic rims, but I need a new swing arm!!!!
    Those are the stock wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Those are the stock wheels.
    no they are not, I got them from Jenson USA just last week

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by arielDB View Post
    no they are not, I got them from Jenson USA just last week
    I'm talking about on my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm talking about on my bike.
    o ok cool

mtbr member
    New seat post for my 2011 Recoil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn1398.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn1421.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn1402.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra8d View Post
    New seat post for my 2011 Recoil
    You've put some serious money into your recoil, how do you like the Axon fork? How much was it?

mtbr member
    I bought it second hand off EBay, for (if remember correctly) $250. I like it, the carbon lowers look unique,especially in sunlight. But it is also very light and pretty stiff with 15mm Qloc. It also offers rebound and compression adjustments and a remote lockout. The fork is really smooth and sucks up the trail like nobody's business.

mtbr member

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1412830807.100733.jpg hahahahahahah my bike locked up like a prisoner

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hey all, relatively new to MTB but completely new to the forums here and Diamondback. I picked this 2013? Recoil 29er up a few weeks ago at an REI garage sale. Got it for $300 and it is easy to see it's barely used. Since I got this bike for pretty cheap, I will be trying to hold out for good, cheap deals on decent parts.

I took it out for a 15 mile ride and the first thing I noticed is the rear shock doesn't do much but bounce all over the place and make lots of noise on full extension. I purchased a DT Swiss XM180 rear shock this past weekend and wiating for it to be shipped. It's a 200x57, the I2I will be a little bit of a challenge but the bike has lots of clearance to handle the additional 7mm for the stroke. Couldn't pass it up for $131 shipped.

Now the Suntour XCT fork is absolute garbage as well. I'll be looking into replacing it over the winter, once again just have to wait for a good deal to come around. I'd also love to get a lighter set of wheels as I can tell these things are boat anchors. I'm hoping I can shave at least a few pounds off the bike with these 3 upgrades as the Recoil is super heavy stock (I measured 37lbs). I'll put everything on the scale when removing parts.

A full tear down and repaint will happen this winter because I loathe the colors. A black and red bike is so plain jane. I was a huge car guy, so maybe a Gulf or Martini scheme? Mercedes AMG Petronas?

2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5
    2013 Diamondback Recoil 29er
    2007 Trek Pilot 1.2 - Sold
    2014 Specialized Hardrock 26 Disc - Sold

mtbr member
    Someone on the board said they got the bike down to 27 pounds but I'm not sure what components they used. Like you, I am planning to replace many of the stock components. I bombed down a hill this morning and I noticed coming back up the hill that the front fork was squeaking so I might have blown out the suntour shock already. I do like the bike though because it is comfortable to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I did a hair of investigating this morning. The main reason was to figure out what I can do for the added 10mm of I2I for the new shock, but I found something else; getting this bike down in weight will be very cheap and very easy.

I can make a couple of bushings out of delrin that fit in the shock mounting holes at work. I may even try teflon but I think it will be too soft. The whole idea here is to put the hole that the bolt goes through as far back (towards the shock body) as possible. If this doesn't make sense, I'll draw up a picture real quick. Without a caliper, I estimate I can get about a quarter inch worth of clearance right there, maybe a little less. Worse comes to worst I will extend the mounting holes on the two triangle tabs. It's a $300 bike, I'm not really concerned about it! If something does go wrong I can make beefier tabs and weld them on while I have the whole bike apart for paint this winter.

So onto the weight thing. All weights in the picture are pounds. Don't get the wrong idea here, I'm not trying to be any sort of weight weenie or anything. I will save that for my road bike. But what I found was really heavy.

Shock - 523g?! Talk about a ****ing brick! After opening it up, it really does do nothing to dampen the ride. I can literally move it up and down with no resistance at all by hand with the spring off. No wonder why it was so bouncy. I will save almost a pound with the DT Swiss XM180 shock alone.

Seatpost - 347g. Really short post too.

Saddle - 289g. The WTB Volt is the same saddle that I bought when I got a 4 hour fit for my road bike. It's the only saddle I found that doesn't give me sores or pain. Funny thing is though is that the saddle I bought (the cheapest, heaviest Volt) is 253g. Interesting. When I saw the Recoil with the WTB Volt I was happy that I'd have a spare saddle!

And for the hell of it, seatpost clamp - 41g

The stock fork appears to be tipping the scales at over 2700g. That is insanely heavy! A Rockshox TK 30 Gold weighs around 1800g. That's almost 2 pounds saved right there. I will likely go with cheap $45 carbon handlebars which are only 200g. I'm really interested to see how much the stocker weighs. It's gotta be another brick. The wheelset I've heard is insanely heavy. I didn't even think about the stock drivetrain yet either, but I do know I will be swapping out the cassette for an 11-36. There's plenty to be shaved off very easily. This bike should be crazy fun after a few cheap upgrades.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

mtbr member
    way to go , i noticed the bike being lighter after my upgrades , haven't weighed it though. Please keep us updated

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Flapmeat;11551837]

The stock fork appears to be tipping the scales at over 2700g. That is insanely heavy! A Rockshox TK 30 Gold weighs around 1800g. That's almost 2 pounds saved right there. QUOTE]

You mentioned that the Rockshox TK 30 Gold weighs much less than the current shock. However, an internet search shows that the cheapest Rockshoc TK 30 Gold costs $291. Do you know of any forks in the same weight range that might be a bit cheaper - perhaps in the $100 to $150 price range? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    [QUOTE=BCTJ;11554903]
    Quote Originally Posted by Flapmeat View Post

The stock fork appears to be tipping the scales at over 2700g. That is insanely heavy! A Rockshox TK 30 Gold weighs around 1800g. That's almost 2 pounds saved right there. QUOTE]

You mentioned that the a Rockshox TK 30 Gold weighs much less than the current shock. However, an internet search shows that the cheapest Rockshoc TK 30 Gold costs $291. Do you know of any forks in the same weight range that might be a bit cheaper - perhaps in the $100 to $150 price range? Thanks.
    No there is not. $150 does not get you much in the way of a fork. I will be patient and wait for a superb deal, no way am I spending $290.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast