Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!

136K views 463 replies 93 participants last post by  tdo636 
#1 ·
Recoil 2009, 90% upgrades, & soon I will make it a 9 speed 3X9 with Sram X7
I Love it
:thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#112 ·
Finally got my Comp today. :) Looks amazing and is great quality. Put on the white Oury lock on grips and man do they look good. Going to try to take it to the LBS for a tune tomorrow (and most importantly get my rear shock aired, which bottoms out by just sitting on the seat) and hopefully this weekend I can put some miles on it.

Few things off the bat I'm ordering are a WTB Speed V Comp seat, black seat clamp (the gold looks bad and out of place I think), and a Race Face bash guard to replace the big crank ring which I never really use and has already gave me a nice gash.

First major thing I'm gonna upgrade is gonna be either the brakes or the fork, they don't seem bad, but could be a nice improvement and I'd like 120mm air fork with hydraulic brakes. Could the rear shock travel be extended 20mm with a new fork?

Really I don't realistically think I'll do much other than that. I'd like some WTB FX28 wheels and Deore or X7 drivetrain, but certainly not needed I think. The stock wheels are damn sexy too (and not too bad quality either) :)

#116 ·
Finally got my shock pump today, so I set up my rear shock and put on my seat. I think I have the rear shock setup correctly, about 20% of the total travel. Feels amazing, can't feel bumps at all. That's just from putting around my driveway though. The fork is a different story, put the bogo stick will suffice until I can buy a decent entry level air fork (have been looking at the Epicon, which is pretty nice I read). Also got some white CroMo QR skewers. Looks good and adds a little strength. Brakes are nice, but I'll eventually be upgrading to hydraulics for better feel and stopping power.

Pics (click for bigger image)

Still waiting on my black seat tube QR and a chainring nut wrench to put on my bash guard and make it a 2x8 speed. Found some decent white pedals and a Race Face Ride stem for cheap, so I'll be putting those on too. Hopefully will be able to hit some trails tomorrow. :D

#119 ·
Broken Pivot Bolt

Just a little warning to my fellow Recoil owners.

So about 6 weeks ago I decided to inspect and clean the pivot on my 2011 Recoil. I tried to remove the main pivot bolt and axle, but the bolt was really stuck,, should have stopped there but......well I cranked on that sucker and sheared the head off the bolt. I was disappointed but oh well, DB should have a bolt no problem, off to performance I went (next door to work luckily), 3 weeks and 60 bucks later I received a bolt kit from DB / Kinesis, looked different, but what the...... I'll give it try. Wrong bolt kit, its for the new 29er Recoils. Back to Performance, one week later the next package arrived, DB sent a whole 2012 Recoil to take the part I needed ( Thanks DB), unfortunately same problem the bolt stripped. One week later I was told I was out of luck as that was the last 2012 frame DB had and the bolts are unavailable.

So today drilled out the bolt threads from the axle and made trip to the hardware store, works but looks funky but that is best I could do for now. I 'll have to keep an eye out for the bolt kits on Ebay or elsewhere on the web.

#120 · (Edited)
Update on Broken Pivot Bolt

Update on the broken pivot bolt.I went to Performance to pick up a shifter cable when they told me "oh, you here to pick up tour bolt?" , apparently DB (Thanks DB) came through with a pivot bolt and axle and Performance (Thanks, bought a bunch of stuff for later) passed it on to me for free. So my recoil is back to original without the ugly Hex bolt in the pics above.

I also added a Joplin 3 dropper post and replaced my 2011 Suntour Epicon with a 2012 Suntour Axon RC Carbon, overall weight is down to to 27 lb from 27.5 lb even with heavier seat post.

Attachments

#123 ·
I want to change my fork, but I have no idea what are the measures to be taken to secure it, I got a fork rock shox discounts but idk if it would stay this fork

rock shox recon gold

Bike Type: trail, AM
Wheel Size: 26 "
Steerer Diameter: 1.5 "
Steerer Length: 265mm
Brake Compatibility: Disc
Travel: 120mm
Adjustments: lockout, rebound control adjust air pressure
Stanchion diameter: 32mm
Dropouts / axle type: 9mm dropout
Hub Spacing: 100mm
Crown Race Diameter: 40mm
Color: black / blue
Weight: 3.5 lb

#128 ·
This is my diamondback recoil 2012

-sillin tioga spyder color rojo
-letras del cuadro pintadas a color rojo y las de las ruedas
- computador cateye inalambrico
-puños kore de montaña
-tornillos y tuercas pintada de rojo
- pedales west mtb color rojo

Attachments

#131 ·
Hey, I'm new here. Getting back into MTB at 42. I have a 2011 recoil I got for pretty much nothing. Its all stock except for a longer stem and new pedals I put on it. Do you guys think this bike is worth upgrading? I'm pretty much going to be a cross county guy. Lots of single track in my area (Columbia River Gorge)

My impressions of the bike so far are that I hate the rear shock and the brakes are not so great. However, my last bike ages ago was a hard tail Gary Fisher, so I don't have much to compare it to.

#133 ·
bike is a good bike for cross country, i upgraded mine and it rides and brakes way better then stock. i upgraded to hydraulic brakes, air fork /shock, hollow tech 2 cranks. i'd recommend it, especially since i got it way cheaper than what it cost new and now it rides and handles better than the factory recoil comp/pro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.