Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Got my shock today. Pump and hardware on the way

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    how much did ya get it for? ive been scoutin ebay for like 2 weeks the good deals i've found are on like the 7.8 and the 6.5 lengths

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eerieclown View Post
    how much did ya get it for? ive been scoutin ebay for like 2 weeks the good deals i've found are on like the 7.8 and the 6.5 lengths
    I got it used on eBay for 135

13 yrs old in my own mind
    Not a lot in the ways of "Buy it now" deals, a lot of good shocks you have to get the bid right though. The link I did for the Marzocchi ROCO air TST R for $269 new is pretty good though. There is a lot of $250+ shocks that are good, guess it depends on what you want to spend.
    Too many hobbies and not the proper income to support them all. Where's my karma boat?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I got my used RP2 off of ebay for like $70. Of course I never asked how "used" it was, but it holds pressure and isn't all scratched up or anything. With ebay you kind of have to be kind of patient. One week there may be only like 1 or 2 shocks the size you need, but then the next week there are like 10.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    New Fork!!!! Will post pics later on the bike. One of my wife's anniversary gifts Thanks Skulltoy for the link

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice guys! I just picked up an 09 mission 2 frame with rp2 shock for 200$ so i have a project to build... Ill just keep the recoil as a second bike... I just got to do some research and figure out how to build it up/ what i want... The rockshox sektor or the marz 44 fork look very promising I think that's where ill start and work on the drive train from there...mtb has become such a hobby for me since i started like 3 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by lnc0321 View Post
    New Fork!!!! Will post pics later on the bike. One of my wife's anniversary gifts Thanks Skulltoy for the link
    Is that the U-turn model?

Wife likes your hobby for now, it will be a big improvement over the SUNTOUR
    Too many hobbies and not the proper income to support them all. Where's my karma boat?

Nice guys! I just picked up an 09 mission 2 frame with rp2 shock for 200$ so i have a project to build... Ill just keep the recoil as a second bike... I just got to do some research and figure out how to build it up/ what i want... The rockshox sektor or the marz 44 fork look very promising I think that's where ill start and work on the drive train from there...mtb has become such a hobby for me since i started like 3 months ago

I would do a 150mm fork for your Mission if you can, that what was spec'd on the bike originally and I believe they did not do a tapered steerer on the '09s, at least according to DB website.

The Rockshox Sektor RL U-turn if your budget supports it I have seen them for like $320 or so, a lot of them on ebay at that price. If you want budget, coil and adjustability then you want specifically the U-turn 115-150mm version but I believe all the good ones will be a 15mm or 20mm QR in the front so you will have to get yourself some better wheels. If you don't want to spend more on those kind of wheels, I love Marzocchi stuff and they have a new 44 RL at 150mm with 9mm QR I found one on the net for like $399.99 at the lowest price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltoy View Post
    Is that the U-turn model?

Wife likes your hobby for now, it will be a big improvement over the SUNTOUR
    Yea is the U-turn model. She got it for 170 plus 13 for shipping new Is the 2010 model

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hey bros, i just bought the '12 DB Recoil Comp, and i cant wait to start riding it! Im new to the whole scene, decided after all the research and reviews ive read, that this would be a great introductory bike for me. i set in with the 18" frame and im 5' 10 1/2" around 185 lbs. I had to order online as im currently in afghanistan, but once i get back im extremely excited to start riding. I want to get into the more aggressive style riding. Any tips/pointers for a new dude? thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I also bought the wifey a '12 DB Lux Sport. She is super excited about it as well. we ordered the 13inch frame as she is 5'1". We both can't wait to go ride together. Do these frame sizes sound correct for our size for mountain bikes? all the research ive done these are the best fit frame sizes, just wanted to know what you guys think. thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by steve mul View Post
    hey bros, i just bought the '12 DB Recoil Comp, and i cant wait to start riding it! Im new to the whole scene, decided after all the research and reviews ive read, that this would be a great introductory bike for me. i set in with the 18" frame and im 5' 10 1/2" around 185 lbs. I had to order online as im currently in afghanistan, but once i get back im extremely excited to start riding. I want to get into the more aggressive style riding. Any tips/pointers for a new dude? thanks!
    Welcome Steve,

I recently bought me a 2010 Recoil. I am 5"11 190 lbs and I bought the Large. I am also pretty new to mountain biking I upgraded my rear shock and fork so far and I love my bike. I think its a great bike for the price and with a couple of upgrades Its Awesome

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Here is mine after I installed my new fork

Guys I have a question,

When I installed my new fork I noticed that I have a little gap. I tried to push the little ring all the way down to the fork from the tube but It wont. Can I just leave it like this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    thats nice! How do you feel on the L being 5' 11"? im just over 5' 10" and i got the M as thats the recommended size for my height. from what i understand a little smaller frame makes it easier to maneuver for more aggressive riding on trails and whatnot, what your take on it? Also i'm thinking of upgrading the rear suspension to maybe a Fox float, id like to increase my fork to a 120mm or so, it comes wiht the 100mm suntour, im thinking a little more travel will make a good but i dont know if its able to be done without damamging the any structural integrity of the bike or the geometry of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by lnc0321 View Post
    Here is mine after I installed my new fork

When I installed my new fork I noticed that I have a little gap. I tried to push the little ring all the way down to the fork from the tube but It wont. Can I just leave it like this?
    Looks good, but I would definitely push that crown race down, that is why you have a gap. Did you remove the old crown race from the OE fork?

They don't slip on, you have to press (tap) them on. If you don't have the fancy race press / puller you can use a hammer and a small punch (even small stout flat-head screwdriver) if you are carefully. It does not take much to seat the race on the steerer tube. You would go around the crown race as close to the tube as possible giving good single blows to the race until it is seated fully on the tube. I would not ride it like that, it will wobble out the crown race and damage your steerer tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by steve mul View Post
    thats nice! How do you feel on the L being 5' 11"? im just over 5' 10" and i got the M as thats the recommended size for my height. from what i understand a little smaller frame makes it easier to maneuver for more aggressive riding on trails and whatnot, what your take on it? Also i'm thinking of upgrading the rear suspension to maybe a Fox float, id like to increase my fork to a 120mm or so, it comes wiht the 100mm suntour, im thinking a little more travel will make a good but i dont know if its able to be done without damamging the any structural integrity of the bike or the geometry of the bike.
    I like the L, but I like big bikes I also got a rear fox float shock on mine and it made a huge difference. For the front fork you will be fine with a 120mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    nice rigs guys! what are the specs of your fox rear susp upgrades?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Finally got around to replacing the brakes: Avid BBDB on the front w/Hayes 180mm rotor, and BB5 in the rear with the stock 160mm rotor. I was planning on just keeping the stock Tektro in the rear because it wasn't all that bad, but went ahead and replaced it also. I didn't have any cable ends, so I just used heat shrink tubing for now to keep them from fraying
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-avid-bbdb.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-avidbb5.jpg  

mtbr member

My new Recoil Build

Wanted a "cheap" XC bike, bought the frame off EBAY some the components were transfered from my target Schwinn others are new. Just received the rear shifter about an hour ago. Here the build List;
    2011 DiamondBack Recoil frame
    2011 SR Suntour Epicon RLD Fork
    Fox Float RP23 rear shock
    Shimano XT FD-M770 front Dérailleur
    Shimano XT FC-M780 Crankset
    SRAM XO rear Dérailleur
    SRAM XO 3X9 shifters
    KMC X9 9 Speed Chain
    SunRace CSM96 9-speed Cassette
    VP Components VP-001 Pedals
    Sun MTX Rims with Shimano XT hubs
    CST Caballero Tire 26 x 2.25
    AVID BB7 w 160mm Ashima Airotor rotors
    Avid Speed Dial Ti brake levers
    Portland Design Works Speed Metal Grips
    Cane Creek 40 ZS Headset
    WTB Rocket V saddle
    Truvativ Hussefelt Riser Handlebar
    RaceFace Deus XC Seatpost
    TRUVATIV Holzfeller 60mm Stem
    XLC Quick Release White Seatpost Clamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn0118.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn0121.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn0122.jpg  

Last edited by Cobra8d; 02-04-2012 at 09:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice set up. What type of riding do you do with it? I downhill mine like it has 180mm forks...it doesn't. But it takes the beating very well.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I built it to ride cross country mostly, I have my longer travel teocali for the bigger stuff.

mtbr member

Avid XX Brakes

Upgraded my brakes to Avid XX and changed the grips to T.H.E. G-4 Think Line Lock Ons
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn0151.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn0152.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn0153.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn0155.jpg  

mtbr member
    Upgrades to the Recoil, weight is down to 27.5 lbs.

Stan's ZTR ARCH EX rims laced to Stan's 3.30 hubs with Kenda Excavator UST tires
    SDG BelAir Saddle Ti rails
    SRAM PowerGlide 990 Cassette
    SRAM PC 991 Chain

Took the rims on their maiden run today around Otay lakes and Proctor Valley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn5672.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn5657.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn5658.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn5663.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-dscn5664.jpg  

Last edited by Cobra8d; 03-25-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Added Pictures

mtbr member
    Here's mine!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5v0mft
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333505834.735447.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333505877.296819.jpg  

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast